Okay, you'll get cars, but what about bicycles?

Aprch

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. I think bicycles would do really good as a cheap alternative to transportation.

It wouldn't be as fast as a car, and it wouldn't have any storage capacity (unless you find some which have those kind of packwheels, which in that case it wouldn't be more than inventory weight).

It really occured to me since I was thinking about how you could get around the log-carrying problem, so I first thought of the one wheeled cart, which is also good to add, but then... why not a bicycle cart!?

That'd be super awesome, and it could use the same method of punishing its overweight as the inventory does, you'd get slower and slower, and get exhausted faster.

Because think about it, you wanna go across cities. You don't have gas, or a working car, and going on foot is already a pain. The bicycle trip would still take time, but it wouldn't compare to the time you'd spend running.

So... what do you think?

I just got an idea on how we might be able to control them. Tapping A and D could alternate between left and right foot pedals, provide a little burst of speed, and lean the bike in the direction of that foot. This can make riding a bike difficult (as it is for some in real life), but very rewarding when you learn how to time your button taps to turn, pedal faster, and pedal slower on command. The faster you tap the buttons and the better your rhythm, the more momentum you gain and you'll be able to ride pretty fast. The longer you ride, or, of course, the more effort you put your character through in pedaling, the faster you'll tire out, and your pedals will produce less and less accumulative momentum, and he or she might choose to coast a little here and there when you try to pedal. It would also give the physics a realistic and dynamic feel if we controlled our bikes in this way. Also, depending on the bike, one might be able to reach bursts of speed of up to 18 - 25 mph. This is what I've been able to maintain on my 21-speed bike.

Oh, and maybe shift or space bar can be the handbrake.  ;)

I just got an idea on how we might be able to control them. Tapping A and D could alternate between left and right foot pedals, provide a little burst of speed, and lean the bike in the direction of that foot. This can make riding a bike difficult (as it is for some in real life), but very rewarding when you learn how to time your button taps to turn, pedal faster, and pedal slower on command. The faster you tap the buttons and the better your rhythm, the more momentum you gain and you'll be able to ride pretty fast. The longer you ride, or, of course, the more effort you put your character through in pedaling, the faster you'll tire out, and your pedals will produce less and less accumulative momentum, and he or she might choose to coast a little here and there when you try to pedal. It would also give the physics a realistic and dynamic feel if we controlled our bikes in this way. Also, depending on the bike, one might be able to reach bursts of speed of up to 18 - 25 mph. This is what I've been able to maintain on my 21-speed bike.

Oh, and maybe shift or space bar can be the handbrake.  ;)

TL:DR = please make it like QWOP

Bicycles? Why, of course!

Cycling should basically be the same as walking/running, but faster and more efficient.

People have been known to transport ridiculous amounts of stuff on a bicycle, but to prevent cycling from becoming too overpowered in this aspect, I think it's best the PC is only capable of basic level cycling. So they would be able to store stuff in their main inventory and backpack, but not much more. I would personally leave really overpowered stuff like cargo bikes and biketrailers out of the game, and I doubt you would find many of those in Kentucky anyway. 

I think that during cycling you shouldn't be able to have weapons (or anything else really) equipped in your hands. I also think bicycles should be very susceptible to zombie attacks. As in: when a zombie grasps you, you will most probably end up on the floor. This would make cycling very good for transport through sparsely populated areas but a rather poor choice for denser populated areas.

I think that during cycling you shouldn't be able to have weapons (or anything else really) equipped in your hands. I also think bicycles should be very susceptible to zombie attacks. As in: when a zombie grasps you, you will most probably end up on the floor. This would make cycling very good for transport through sparsely populated areas but a rather poor choice for denser populated areas.

What?! And what about your fresh looted magazines?

7c577190981ec03df7cea9ef3516dd8a.jpg

it would be a complete nightmare when you got a flat Tyre... imagine trying to find a repair kit for your bike. i know i have two in my house somewhere but i can't find them! they would be ultra rare loot  :P

but yeah bikes would be cool especially when you fall off them  :D 

Hahahah yeah, I haven't thought about the falling part, going full tryhard avoiding zombies at near-max speed would sure be a blast!

I too thought of having a complicated thrusting system but I'm not really sure how it would pull off, maybe just tapping w to gain momentum and then hold it... direction keys would work the same. And the flat tire thing is a really good idea too! Bound to make it hardcore. You could even have a sandbox option to set how prone bikes would be to get them. 

Oh and as far as for the cart, I don't think a small 2 wheeled cart would be overpowered (kinda like a bike attachment), as long as you balance it. Maybe just 10kg container space for the cart would be enough to make it worthwhile and still enough to keep it balanced.

Maybe if you only ever ride your bike on roads there is only a small chance of getting a puncture. As soon as you start riding off-road the chance greatly increases. This would force you to stick to the roads and help stop bikes being OP. Having to stay on the road and the risk of falling off would make them a nice tactical choice rather than a perfect means of transport.

unless you find some which have those kind of packwheels

Packwheels... :cry:

They are called panniers man. 30kg in panniers and something fluffy on the rack is doable even with the crappier ones people usually own.

Hahah excuse me! English is not my first language and although I speak it fluently there are still some things I don't know how they're called... I kinda just googled it :P

Anyhow, in that case I do think it'd break the balance if you just get a free 30kg container on the bike. I'd say 10kg tops, and maybe you could exceed to 20 with overweight penalties.

Lightning edit: I just googled panniers, they're not the same. Gotcha. Hahahah

He knows nothing, they're called fietstassen. (tophat) 

Btw, around here people hitching a ride on a bicycle rack are a common sight. So that pretty much means that transporting 75 kilos on a bicycle is not a problem for most adults. As long as you can keep the bicycle upright and as long as the bicycle doesn't fall apart you really can transport a lot on a bicycle.

Not sure I like some of these suggestions. Especially the ones involving destruction of tires. What kind of bike gets its tires destroyed riding it off a road?! Or even on a road for that matter. I don't think I ever lost a bike tire riding around when I was a kid.