Journal of Joe Dead - Part 2.

Part 1 can be found here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/18041-journal-of-joe-dead-part-1/

July 14th Evening:

I finally made it to Cortman.   There were still some antidepressants and painkillers.  I should be good for a few months with those.

I'm now holed up on the second floor at Cortman. 

I managed to catch the evening report on WBLN News.   I'm tired as shit but I'm still glued to the TV.   There are reports of thousand of infected marching toward the quarantine line and there is some report of the line being broken.

I'm sure the army will react in time.  They better.  If Lake Louise is compromised we are seriously fucked.

I can only imagine how hard it must be to maintain a quarantine with all the wooded areas.   Just watching the roads would not be enough.

If even the soldiers are not able to maintain the quarantine, I'm not sure if the Police Station is still a good idea.

I'll take a chance and turn on the radio as well.

July 14th late evening:

Shit, NNR Radio is confirming it.  The Primary Exclusion Zone has been compromised.   Don't know what that means exactly but it can't be good.  If they can't contain this thing we are all fucked.

SHIT.   

I was so caught up on the news that I almost burnt the house down when the bacon in the pan caught fire.

Fortunately, I was looking in that direction. I felt like shit after that.  Fortunately, there was a leftover cheeseburger and Orange Soda in the fridge.   The last time Cortman saw me, about three years ago when I still had medical insurance, he told me I needed to start eating less and watching my weight.    Well, you should have kept tofu and lettuce in your fridge, now you're just enabling me.

Thank You Dr. Cortman, Thank You!   Nothing like some good old American comfort food to pick you up.  I feel much better now.

I'm going to get some sleep and tomorrow I will go to the Police Station to see how fucked we are.

July 15th  - Afternoon:

We are fucked.   Infected are now outside the Zone and the virus is spreading without bodily contact.    What is spreading this thing?  Bugs, air, water?

How come I'm not infected and dead yet?  I'm a weak fat fuck and I'm still alive. 

I might have to start thinking long-term survival on my own now.  Like that's going to work!

If these things spread to the big city they will be too busy taking care of those place to send help to Muldraugh or West Point.

I might have to make it to Lake Louise if I want a chance to survive this thing.

I need to make it to the Police Station to see if they had an evacuation plan of some sort.

If the Quarantine line is broken, I might be able to slip out to safety.   But what if I am a carrier?  Can I really risk infecting the rest of the world just to survive?

The world never gave a shit about me, why should I give a shit about it?

July 16th: Morning.

I was too depressed and tired yesterday.  I just slept through the day.

Gunshots woke me up this morning.

Some people are still alive.  I need to find them and if we ban together we might have a chance against this thing.

July 18th Morning:

I forgot to write yesterday. 

What a day it was.

It started great.    I was slowly making my way to the Police Station, avoiding the infected.

I decided to check a house that was still in good order and boy was that a lucky move.  

I found a baseball bat in that house.  Much better at keeping those things at bay then my frying pan.

I also found a book that taught basic renovating.   I figured if I could learn a few things about building I could make some barricade to protect myself from those things.

I also found a copy of 1984 from George Orwell.  A book I always meant to read but never got around to do it.

There were also a good amount of food to keep me fed for a few days, even with my appetite.

I'm a bit of a pig when it comes to food.  Unfortunately, I've also got the looks that go with it. But I digress...   So soothing to stop thinking of that Hell for a few seconds.

On my way back to Cortman to drop some supplies before heading back to the Police Station I was telling myself that I couldn't believe my luck.  I'm normally so unlucky.  Rolling Snake eyes, getting no hands on Poker, hitting on the "single girl" who just want to make her biker boyfriend jealous.   Anyway, I couldn't believe it.  Was my luck finally changing?  I should have known better...  I started hearing sound in the air.  

A Military chopper was flying buy, it circle around one of the rich house.

I thought for a second that I was saved.  

Then reality kicked in.   What do you want I'm a bit slow on the uptake. 

They were probably looking for a VIP.  No way they would risk their life for trash like me.    

From the split second mirage of being save, to the realization that I was not, to waking up to the nightmare that the fucking helicopter was bringing hundred of them to this street, which was almost quiet a few minutes ago.

I used to have a lot or respect for our troops.   I still do, but I was cursing those fucking idiots at that moment.  Only for a few seconds before panic sat in.  I ran to Cortman, and slipped in.   Most of the infected were not paying attention to me.

Only one saw me and followed me through the broken window. I clubbed him with the baseball bat has he was climbing in.

It was easy to dispatch him.  Unfortunately, being a clumsy fuck like I am, I hit a piece of glass on one of my upswings.  The noise attracted two more.  They started banging on the door which attracted other.

I went upstair and close the door, trying to stay quiet and hoping that the chopper outside would attract them away.  I could hear more noise all around, windows were shattering downstairs, at least, one was banging at the door upstair.  I had to decide: Flee, Hide or Fight.   I chose what I am most known for whenever I face adversity in life.  I decided to Flee like the coward that I am.

I grab some roasted mutton from the fridge and  went to the room closing the door behind me.

My heart pumping through my chest. I quickly ate the mutton chop and quickly decided what to get rid of to lighten my load.

I had to say goodbye to my trusty pan the kettle and a few other items I don't even  remember.   I quickly tied two-bed sheets together, used a nail and climbed down the window onto the side roof.    I figure I could climb down there and then do a small jump and run.

Turned out that bloody roof wasn't that solid.  Of course, it's probably not designed to support a 260-pound man, but I went through it, into the office downstair with two of them in the room.

I manage to run to the window and get out.  I ran and ran and ran.   Never though I could still run like this.   I'm so out of shape.  The last time I ran like that it was when I was playing as a kid.

Who am I kidding? I never ran like that before.

I manage to slip into an empty warehouse, only found a few nails.  I moved a chair in the windowless bathroom and fell asleep on it.  Exhausted.

I was so tired that for once I didn't have any nightmare, just the peaceful darkness of oblivion.

I heard a gun shot again this morning.  They seem more frequent the closer I get to the Police Station.   Hopefully, there is still some survivor there. Who knew I would be one of the few still alive?

Oh, I almost forgot.  I seem to be getting better at sneaking,  has much had an overweight, clumsy idiot like myself can get good at it.

I was paying a bit more attention not to step on twigs, branch and stumble over the trash in the street.

July 18th Evening:

I finally made it to the Police Station.   On my way here I managed to loot what was left at Greene's Grocery.   The place stank from all the rotten vegetable and fruit.   Fortunately, there were still a watermelon, an apple, an onion and some corn in one of the fridges in the back room.

I ate the entire watermelon, I was so hungry and thirsty, I wasn't after that.

I found some cheese in the fridge at the mini-mall cafeteria. I tried to get into the storage area of the mini-mall.  Well technically I succeeded but the alarm system was still on, I fled toward the Police Station.

Fleeing to the Police Station after trying to break, enter and loot the mini-mall.  The irony!

The Police Station is lost.  

There were four Zombies in this place.  

There I've said it.  Zombies!  What else do you want to call them?   Infected?  Make up some weird name like Zomboid?   I don't care if the scientist wants to call them Infected.  I've never been much for science. Those things look like bloody zombies to me so I am calling them zombies.

I moved a chair into the bathroom to sleep without the risk of any of them seeing me through a window.   There is still a zombie banging in one of the cell but I don't see him being able to get our of there.

There was a shotgun and a lot of ammo in the Gun Room.   I wonder if I should take it or not.

At least carrying my supplies was becoming easier.   Maybe I was finally getting into shape.  Round's a shape, right?    Anyway, I was feeling a bit stronger, but my cardio was still, well let's put it this way: I get short of breath just talking about cardio. 

As I was saying, I was wondering if I should take the shotgun or not.    

I also wonder what I will do next.    I could get to Darryl's farm by the Pony Roam-O, I use to work there has a teenager. The place as a well and is fairly isolated.   Or I could try to find Nathan's Cabin by the Lake.   Nathan was a guy who Bob introduce me to once.  Bob knew Nathan from High School.

The plan was to help me get a job at Knox Bank.   Unfortunately, my pre-medical condition ensures they didn't select me.  Of course, my poor math skills, slow reading, and slow learning didn't help either.   What do you want?   I won the dumb fuck lottery when I was born.   At least this dumb fuck is still alive while all these smart people are now trying to eat me alive.

Anyway, Nathan has a cabin by a lake west of West Point.  Not sure I would be able to find it but that could be a place where I could get away from those Zombies.

I'll sleep on it before I make a decision.  Hopefully dear journal, I will see you in the morning.

post-21019-0-26981100-1454369355_thumb.j

Archived