Journal of Joe Dead - Part 1.

Background:  

This is my attempt at surviving 1 year at Survival with Joe Dead (almost worse possible survivor).

For the survival challenge on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/451852118780223328/#p1

Maps: Vanilla

Mods:

-Achieve the Apocalypse (no real change in gameplay);

-Let me Speak! (only had immersion, no change in gameplay);

-Littering 1.9 (no significant impact on game other than dealing with junk); and

-Writing Export Mod (free journal and pen, I will win because of that pen).

Profession: Unemployed

All of the negative traits (slow reader instead of illiterate and hard of hearing instead of deaf).

The Journal of Joe Dead - Part 1

July 9th:

It's been 1 week since the initial sign of the infection and the establishment of the quarantine zone.

I didn't see any police patrol last night.  I didn't sleep well.  I heard a lot of screaming and gunfire last night.

I saw more of the infected yesterday.  They look like they are stoned out of their mind.

My Food is running low.   Down to pickles, butter and a bag of chips. I will go check on my neighbor Bob to see how he is doing.

We were never close friends but maybe if we help each other out we will stand a better chance of making it through this.

I Saw Lucy, Bob's sister near his house.  She looked pale and her lips were crimson red.   It looked like she applied her lipstick in a hurry while being drunk.

It's only when she got closer and I caught the rusty smell of blood that I realize it wasn't lipstick. Sally, Lucy's friends was right behind her and they were both coming toward me.  I had had the hots for Lucy and she never paid attention to me until now.

I raised the pan I had brought with me in case I ran into Pete's Rottweiler.  I had seen him running around without his leash 2 days ago.

I raised the frying Pan telling them to step back.  Sally came toward me, I swung my pan, trying not to hurt her too much.  I connected with her left arm.  She didn't even seem to register it.  Her right arm grabs my left arm and squeezed hard. "Stop it!" I remember yelling those words before panic picked up.   I don't quite remember what happened but a few minutes or seconds later, it's hard to tell both Sally and Lucy were down with their skull caved him.

I don't want to think about it.

Roger the annoying door to door salesman came next at me.  He had a bite mark on his chest.   He was still carrying a big hiking bag.  I manage to go around and pull on his bag from behind to trip him.

I still have blood under my right shoe. Bob wasn't home.  I looked through the window and yelled to see if he was in.    That was a mistake.   6 of those things came from all direction.  I ran back to my house.   I close the door.  I could hear them bagging and bagging.

I decide to flee by the bathroom.  I came peaking around a push trying to see if I could have a clear line to Bob's house.   One of them saw me and came toward me.  I was lucky it was only one.

I learned a valuable lesson then and there.  They are easier to deal with when they are alone. Even though I am weak since the injury it was not to hard to trip her and hit her head until she stopped moving.

I found a journal on her: 24 things to do to survive the zombie apocalypse.

#19 - Survive Being Wounded.   What sick joke is that?

I finally manage to open one of Bob's window.   Bob isn't home.   I found some meat Patty in the fridge along with some cherries.   I'm sure Bob will understand if I take some. I'll share my chips and can of beans with him if he comes.  He still had his Can Opener.  The cheap one I got a the Thrift Store broke two days ago.

I turn on Bob's TV.  I had to sell mine one week before the apocalypse to pay for my meds and keep the landlord off my back.  One good thing of all this chaos, I don't have to worry about finding a job right now and paying the rent.

All I have to worry about is finding Bob and surviving one more day until they figure this thing out. Although I am starting to lose hope on that front.  I'm not getting any news on Bob's TV.   Only commercial and re-runs.

I wish I could be like that Dean guy on TV and just be able to live in the wild.   If I could fish like that guy I wouldn't have to worry about food.

I'll have to go check Pete's house.  Although the guy gives me the creep he was a close friend of Bob.  Maybe he knows where he is.

July 10th - Early Morning:

Pete knew where Bob was.  They were both inside Pete's house but it wasn't them anymore.

When he/it saw me, the thing that had once been Pete just started banging his head on the window until it shattered.  He pulled himself through the opening, not flinching has the glass tore through his face and arms.    He fortunately stumbled has he came through the window and I was able to finish him with the frying pan.

Bob started banging on the other side of the window.  Oblivious to the opening that Peter had done.   I decided to smash the window to get it over with.  Bob climbed through the window and also stumbled, it was easy for me to push him down and finish him.

I wonder if Pete and Bob were still in there somewhere.  It's easier to think that they weren't...

Peter had a few cans of food.  For some reason, a part of my brain told me to check out the old lady's house up the street.   I don't really know her, but it was mostly a good thing.   She still had plenty of food in the fridge.  The illness must have gotten to her earlier.

I saw more of them coming in the neighborhood.  Two large packs. I don't fill safe here anymore.   I'll go to the Police Station.  I saw a patrol car three nights ago.  Surely they know what is going on.

I'll go by Cortman's clinic first.   I need my meds to deal with this pain.  I was lucky I found some painkillers on one of them but it won't be enough.

I'm getting the feeling it will take a few more weeks before they bring this thing under control.

I'll just take a quick nap and leave this shithole after.  I just pray this isn't my last entry. July 11th Noon.

Still not dead.  Can't believe I am still alive.  So many of them.    I managed to get a few canned goods from the convenience store but then I had to flee.  I went through a small wooded area I use to hang out in when I wanted to go for a walk and a joint.  

There were so many of them in that area.  I barely got away.  I was so happy carrying two big hiking bags full of supplies.   I thought that they would save me but they were almost my undoing.  I need to learn to travel lighter.  I'm just not strong enough to carry all of this. I was so tired that I just crashed in a bed in the first house I could get in without them seeing me.  I did think to close the curtains first.   I had nightmares of the dead walking the earth and eating the living.   When I woke up the sun was already high in the sky and I barely felt rested.   The nightmare was real.

I went into the kitchen to see if there was any food left.  While I was looting two zombies came in the house.  The front door had been busted down.   I manage to take care of them.   I lured them over the couch putting them out of balance.  They are easier to take down that way.

I heard a gunshot.   There are other survivors!  Surely they can tell me what is going on at the Police Station.   I found a radio in this house.  I will start listening to it once I find some earphones. I don't want to risk the noise right now.

July 11th Evening.  

I managed to get some news on the TV in this house.

The Knox Event it contained.  Thank God.  Could you imagine this thing being worldwide?   We would have no hope.    Flights have been canceled and they are working on a plan for us.  

Surely they will have more information at the Police Station, at least, which neighborhood are safer.     I will risk sleeping in this house. Hopefully, I will reach Cortman in the morning.

July 12th, morning. 

Our President is taking action.   Must have been riots at the way we are being treated.   Why are they not sending the army?  Probably don't want this disease to spread.

I'm surprised they have to have curfews if it is contained.   Well, I'm just glad the nation is taking action.   Now off to Cortman.  Maybe there will be less of them today.

July 12th, late afternoon.

I'm holed up in a house near Cortman.   There were so many of them.  This is worse and it's a much nicer neighborhood.    I'm not so sure there will be anyone who can help me at the police station.  I must have seen hundreds of them down the street.   I was getting so tired, I barely escaped on of them rising from under a patio table.

Travelling light was a smart idea otherwise, I would be dead or one of them.   Now I need to get some sleep or that will get me killed.   If only the nightmare could stop for a night.  I'm going to sleep here on the second story.  I crafted a sheet rope just in case.

July 13th late afternoon.  

I almost slept 24 hours.   At least, I feel rested and I haven't heard noises of them breaking in.

I'm fed, rested and traveling lighter.   Hopefully, I will make it into Cortman, get some meds and then go to the Police Station.   I did find a Police Officer that had been killed down the stair in this house.   He had 3 guns and a box full of ammo but he is still dead.

I've never held a gun in my life, if that guy still died with all those weapons I don't see what good they would do me other than to signal where I am.

June 14th Morning: 

Yesterday did not go has planned.  I was almost inside the clinic when 4 of them just came from behind the fence.    2 more were coming from the street and I was almost surrounded.   How did they know I was there?   I manage to lose them between the trees and come back to the 2 story house.

I will try one more go at it.  If it doesn't work I will just have to rely on the painkillers.   I need to get to the police station and find out what is going on.   

Joe Dead at the end of Part 1 (click on the picture to see, I will try to upload a bigger picture later today).

post-21019-0-09072000-1454302767_thumb.j

Thanks for Fizban for posting the challenge on Steam.

And Thanks to MadDan2013 for the journal of Walter Kells who inspired me to write this.

It definitely makes the game a lot more fun.

Part 2 has now been posted:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/18050-journal-of-joe-dead-part-2/

Archived