Isometric problem, sit/sleep on the ground, forage for what you need and learn crafts in skill books

Axezombie

Hi everyone!

I've some suggestions which I think would be really useful, realistic and essential, I hope you'll agree with me and won't get offended by my way of speaking :)

(sorry if my English is not very good, it's not my native language)

1 - The ability to see zombies and players hidden by walls, trees etc for the player.

Your character can see what is in front of him but you can't see what your character see because of decor and I think it's not normal at all. You're supposed to be the character you're playing so you should see what he/she sees and it's really important in a game like Project Zomboid to be able to see every sources of danger.

That's why I suggest to make zombies and players outline visible when they're hidden by decor like in this picture:

UtSq5x0.jpg

Note that the zombie here is behind the building and not inside of it, so my character can see it.

An outline is maybe not artistic enough so it can be something else, what it matters is to see what you should see.

2 - The ability to sit or/and sleep on the ground

You're in a forest, far away from civilization, you're exhausted, so exhausted you can't even run, it would be nice to be able to rest on the ground, right? Well, you can't and that's really frustrating. Okay, I understand it would make the game easier (not a lot more easier though...) but it doesn't make sense and if you don't want to make chairs useless then resting on the ground could take longer to recover than sitting on a chair.

Same thing for sleep, it's already very risky to sleep outdoors so it wouldn't be OP to sleep on the ground but I understand it would make tents useless, except if you add some kind of comfort system. Sleeping on a ground would make your character in pain or/and a bit depressed but that's another idea...

And no need to make animations, we already don't have any animations when we rest on a chair or when we sleep.

3 - Forage for what you need

Here's another scenario, you don't have any food, you're very hungry and your only possibility is to forage for food to survive, so you want to focus on food and nothing else to get food as fast as possible but you get branches, stones etc

So here's my idea: the ability to choose what you forage for! You want only food? then right click => forage => food. It would be more realistic, more efficient because you focus on a specific resource and you'll finally have the control of your character instead of dealing with what your character decides to pick up.

Of course it shouldn't be OP and won't get you what you need in seconds but it could be efficient enough to get what you need faster than now or/and get you more stuff.

I think it's even more necessary now that we have the possibility to get medicinal plants, it gets you a lot of things you don't necessarily need.

So, that's how I see it:

GJkP1nJ.jpg

"All" would be the forage system we've right now.

4 - Learning crafts in skill books

Okay so that's certainly not an idea you'll agree with but I'm gonna try anyway. I don't know about you but according to me it's stupid to not learn how to craft the most basic traps by reading the first skill book about trapping. What do you learn in a book about trapping of 220 pages if you don't even learn how to make the most basic trap?

I understand it would make the end-game faster to acquire recipes in skill books instead of searching for recipe magazines but at least give us the craft of the most basic trap in the first skill book, it's not like it's gonna break the game if you can trap some birds, and you'll still need to find the first skill book about trapping and it's not always easy to find it. 

We can extend the idea to others crafts and other skills, imagine you're a trapping master and you don't even know how to make all traps, it doesn't make sense. Before you say it would be too easy, I can assure you that getting to lvl 9 in trapping is not easy and you should deserve to know some crafting recipes.

Thank you for reading this long post if you had the energy to do it :)

Great ideas, all of them.

The ones i like a lot is the first and third one, maybe just make forage take longer while looking for food or something else if you really cant find it, or give a small hint that you might not find anything on plain grass area.

Also the 4th one is pretty good but there must be a balance, maybe some books could have illustrations, more variety of books?

Thank you.

I thought about giving a hint that you might not find anything and I think a little script would be enough like when your character try to read something he can't understand.

So when there is nothing to find he/she could say "I can't find anymore resources here" or "There is nothing to find here" something like that.

Hm I don't know, I don't think we need more different skill books but yeah the problem is to get recipes too easily with that feature, but like I said, learning a craft in the first skill book is not too OP, I think.

In regards to sleeping on the ground. After my field expeditions in colorado (i'm a geochemist) sleeping in a tent for over a month, I came home and decided to get rid of my couch and bed and switched to a tatami mat-esque living, and i have been sleeping on the floor for the past 3 months now with the only thing between me and a hardwood floor being a thin yoga mat whether i'm playing on the computer or sleeping. I stopped having pain after the first month as i learned to sleep on my back and side (information on how it is different at the bottom). 

I would definitely like the option to sleep on the ground since its what I do normally. I support of this, I bring up the "Coffee defense of Nov 2015," its the zombie apocalypse the least we can have is our own preference for how we sleep. As for in game disadvantages, the issues that come with sleeping on the floor and why we have raised platforms to begin with are:

-bugs can easily crawl into your ears/nose/mouth. House centipede, silverfish, cochroaches all become sources of paranoia, but worst of all are earwigs which are scary as shit when sleeping on the floor. 

-rodents/snakes and other crawlies might investigate you or use you as body heat

-the earth/floor conducting the heat away from you

-slight stiffness in the morning due to not tossing as much

​-feeling/hear vibrations or movement transmitted through the floor/ground.

half of these increases one's panic especially if a place is not secure from these things. The heat conducting away from you and stiffness robs you of calories making you hungrier, decreases your comfort, and makes your colder which is not good for the winter, but overall though, I have a deeper sleep and more consistent sleeping patterns when sleeping on the floor.

everything else is pretty spot on and doesn't require any life stories to be relatable with. I definitely would like the ability to selectively forage for stones for the sake of pete, and sitting down on the ground to rest would be appreciated as well.

for those interested more in how sleeping on the floor is different than sleeping in a bed.

First of all your posture is different both when sleeping on your side and sleeping on your back. When sleeping on your side, there are two things that you have to change if you do them. First is keeping your knees together. typically when people sleep in a bed on their side, they have one leg straight and another bent with the bent knee touching the bed while the straight one sinks into the bed orboth bent, but both knees in contact with the bed with one further out than the other.  if you do this on the floor which doesn't allow your leg to sink, you will wake up with back pain because your hips will have to rotate in relation to your back to maintain this posture. 

Second, you have to learn how to use your shoulder as a pillow.  If you are sleeping on the ground, you cant sleep on your arm, and if you have lats or large shoulders, your spine will curve upwards away from the floor as you sleep if you try to sleep like you do in a bed. to counter act this, you have to fold your shoulders in, this prevent you from sleeping on your arm as it has now been rolled out infront of your torso, and now your sides are parallel with the floor as a rectangle instead of a wedge, this supports your spine by keeping it horizontal. Your shoulders should now be in a position and should be think enough that you can rest your head on it as a pillow.  your scapula (shoulder blades) may have tension the first few weeks doing this as it wings out and helps support the weight of your body against the floor.

Sleeping on your back on the floor is a little trickier, and I don't think its really that natural to sleep on your back on the floor, but regardless, if you lay on your back on the ground and do it incorrectly, you will notice that your butt muscles create a gap between the floor and your lower back. This suspends your lower back in the air and require active muscle tension to keep it there resulting in a painful morning experience.  To prevent this you have two option. sleep with your knees bent as if you are going to do sit ups, this keeps your back straight and is comfortable for some, but others, myself included, this makes my legs feel like they are not getting enough blood, so I bend my knees out to the sides or rotate my hips outward. this takes more of the weight off of you back and onto your now flatter butt and hip bones which should be now parallel with the floor.  Overall though, this position puts tension on a nerve in my hips so I prefer to sleep on my side. As for your head being without a pillow while sleeping on your back, keeping your scapula flat against the floor by spreading them out with your arms extended outward from your sides or upwards with both hands behind your head helps, but again, i'm not a back sleeper, so personally don't like this position. though it is a yoga position.

As for people who scream about all the benefits of sleeping or sitting on the floor, don't listen to them, the only actual benefits that I have found since switching to living on the floor is increase flexibility as I regularly stand up from the floor, and I fidget more when I am sitting which essentially lends itself to me doing yoga while watching tv as I switch from siting to lying down and back a lot and in different ways. I do get better sleep because I don't toss and turn so much as these positions are really the only acceptable positions so I don't roll around or unconsciously position myself in temporary positions like I do in a bed. This makes me consistently sleep between 7-9 hours where sleeping on the bed is a hit or miss and I generally had to sleep longer. So it increased my flexibility and decrease the amount of sleep I need to function.

another random benefit is that my place is cleaner. Being on an elevated platform both sitting and sleeping kind of create what I would call a canopy effect where I only care about the cleanliness of things at eye level when on the platform, and the floor can get quite messy without me noticing. Taking the platforms out of the equation though and the floor being eye level, I see everything, but more particularly, I see where things could hide and I immediately see if a bug is scurrying across the floor, and a bug could easily crawl into my ear, so things typically stay cleaner as a consequence. other than those three benefits there is not much to sleeping on the floor.

hrot Ah sorry, I didn't know. I posted it on Reddit 6 months ago and decided to post it here to have more visibility. When I think about it, it's obvious that someone already thought about that. I just don't understand why it's still not in the game, almost every isometric games have a way to show entities hidden by decor. Well, maybe it's hard to code it but it's a necessity.

ulfstein Nice, we've a ground sleeper expert :) Thank you for your informations, I hope devs will agree with us, but what I want the most is the possibility to sit on the ground.

ulfstein Nice, we've a ground sleeper expert :) Thank you for your informations, I hope devs will agree with us, but what I want the most is the possibility to sit on the ground.

I will accept this declaration lol. though I don't think 3 months is long enough to be a said expert, but I do thin its important to give a perspective of the actual pros or cons of sleeping on a floor from someone who does it so its not hypothetical.