We're on GOG!

lemmy101

Will those of us who bought the game as a DRM-free purchase long ago and are now no longer to get the game from Desura, since the builds are no longer posted there going to be able to get a GOG key on request?

I know most folks seem to prefer Steam, but as much as I *love* PZ, I would never have bought it years ago if it had only been on sold on that platform (as it has been for a while now, until this announcement). Steam was an okay stopgap for me with the advent of IWBUMS testing, but I have played the game a lot less since Steam became the only way to play. I can't remember the last version I got from Desura, but it was many iterations ago.

Will I have to rebuy the game again to continue to play the DRM-free version I initially purchased, now that GOG seems to be the only/new way to play DRM free?

I've been wanting to get back to playing PZ for awhile, and seeing this announcement on GOG yesterday made me both overjoyed for you folks (I am so glad PZ will have a new DRM-free build and thrilled you guys are on a great site like GOG at last) and keen to be able to play again without the hassles of (ugh) Steam.

If it helps, I still have my 25-digit "CD Key" from the Kate & Baldspot days (such nostalgia), back when we needed to enter that in-game since there was no Steam DRM. :)

Will those of us who bought the game as a DRM-free purchase long ago and are now no longer to get the game from Desura, since the builds are no longer posted there going to be able to get a GOG key on request?

I know most folks seem to prefer Steam, but as much as I *love* PZ, I would never have bought it years ago if it had only been on sold on that platform (as it has been for a while now, until this announcement). Steam was an okay stopgap for me with the advent of IWBUMS testing, but I have played the game a lot less since Steam became the only way to play. I can't remember the last version I got from Desura, but it was many iterations ago.

Will I have to rebuy the game again to continue to play the DRM-free version I initially purchased, now that GOG seems to be the only/new way to play DRM free?

I've been wanting to get back to playing PZ for awhile, and seeing this announcement on GOG yesterday made me both overjoyed for you folks (I am so glad PZ will have a new DRM-free build and thrilled you guys are on a great site like GOG at last) and keen to be able to play again without the hassles of (ugh) Steam.

If it helps, I still have my 25-digit "CD Key" from the Kate & Baldspot days (such nostalgia), back when we needed to enter that in-game since there was no Steam DRM. :)

The game has been on the Humble Store as well.

This GOG thing is still pretty new and we'll have to see how the key shenanigans work and if a GOG key is in the realm of possibilities.

Wherever you buy it, you always have an DRM free alternative available. As a Desura customer, you can redeem your Steam key and then download it through the Steam client. Once downloaded, you can play it without Steam with the "-nosteam" parameter, and only use Steam for updates.

In our eyes, the method of downloading the game doesn't determine whether a game has "DRM" or not.

If the Steam version is out of the question, purchase the game through GoG. If you've previously purchased the game through Desura, TIS will look into the possibliity of providing keys for Desura clients, but it's still early days; it's unknown if or when this will happen.

Back then, the developers marketed the game as "STEAM free".

This means to me, that I have nothing to do with this platform.

I sincerely hope that there will be a solution for the Desura clients.

I'm curious, when was PZ marketed as Steam free? I certainly empathize that you don't like Steam, but that's a personal preference and not an issue with the devs. PZ has always been DRM free, even on Steam.

Back then, the developers marketed the game as "STEAM free".

I don't remember such a thing. That's not something you advertise, when it's the biggest marketplace for games and you certainly would want your game there.

DRM free? More like it. The Steam version is essentially DRM free. It's just a service you do not want to use, which is perfectly fine but up to you.

As much as I personally appreciate the lack of DRM in the Steam version (other than requiring it for the download/update) as it's how I currently play, I agree that 'Steam only' is not a viable solotion for those of us who want true DRM-free/direct-download as was offered under Desura or the initial downloads from Indie Stone back when I first bought the game.

In fact, there was no Steam version at all when I first bought it  (the whole 'Greenlight' thing came later, as I remember screwing up my nose at how excited people seemed to be to have it on a platform I dislike so much), and like folks above, I would very likely not have bought the game had it been *only* available on Steam as it has been the past year or so.

I've been quite happy with Steam as a "stopgap" measure between the demise of Desura (and uploading builds to the website here) and finding another DRM-free solution, but I would be very disappointed if - now that there WAS a new replacement (GOG) for the DRM-free/direct download builds previously offered and that I purchased the game for - this was something I had to pay a second time for.

I totally accept that in regards to Steam vs non-Steam game updates, Steam will almost always get priority (especially with GOG, who manually check all patches themselves) and consider this the 'price' one pays for DRM-free gaming these days sadly. It's also why I (if my old posts are still here somewhere?)  even posted to that effect when the switch to 'Steam only for beta updates' was made; as a non-Steam person normally, I understood that the benefits of that platform meant that if I wanted betas, I would have to use it, and if not, would have to wait for stable versions to be uploaded on Desura (or, previously, here).

I really don't like using Steam if I can avoid it, and very much sympathise with those who don't want it installed on their computers at ALL, even for updates.

I also do want to let the PZ devs know that GOG *will* give you keys/codes (as many as you want, apparently) to give out as you would Steam Keys to folks wanting/needing/deserving them. It's a bit of a common misconception among indie devs, it seems, that this isn't the case, but if you look around GOG forums, you'll find this has come up a few times for various games and been confirmed by GOG staff. You can just ask Judas or one of the other GOG mods ("blue texts") and they'll fill you in on the subject. I don't know much about how Steam works, but I presume it's a bit more automated there, hence why some devs don't know they can ask GOG for keys and think they have a limited supply or have to 'buy' them.

I'll reiterate being happy to provide whatever proof is needed that I'm an existing longtime customer and not trying to scam a free copy, too! :)

Given most gamers' love affair with Steam, though, I'd be curious how many of us actually cared enough to request a GOG code, though; you could almost certainly do it by request rather than a blanket "GOG codes for everybody!" which I agree would be rather difficult!

As stated, we're currently looking if this can be worked out.

It might be something out of our hands though so we can't guarantee or promise something at this point, as I'm sure you understand. It's not like we didn't have this on our minds. ;)

I'm confident we'll find a way :)

Thanks, nasKo.

I hope you understand that the only "urgency" on my part in getting an answer here sooner rather than later was due to the 40% discount on GOG; if I *had* to pay for the game again, I obviously wanted to pay the least possible rather than more than double what I paid originally, and the 'introductory sale' ends tomorrow.

Otherwise, there's no huge rush for me personally on this matter, though I can imagine those who only use the Desura builds are rather eager to get a newer version they can play (I've been away from the game for ages and am loving all the new improvements myself!).

Also, while it's great that you already had this on your minds... that's actually not as much of a no brainer consideration as you might think, sadly, so I appreciate you letting us know that you were already thinking about it. My experience on this kind of thing (and why I mentioned the misunderstanding about developers getting GOG codes) is very mixed: for example, one indie dev I bought directly from gave me a GOG code just at my mention that I'd wished I'd known the game would be published there too. On the other hand, Underrail's dev continues to flat-out ignore *all* correspondance and posts from customers regarding this same Steam/Desura issue rather than even just say "no".

Regardless, as I said, GOG should have no issues giving you as many codes as you ask for, so I can't imagine how the issue could be 'out of (your) hands'. They're pretty awesome folks there, and far more approachable/accessable than the staff of most other vendor sites.

I look forward to hearing when codes can be offered. Since this is unlikely to affect tons of people, will those of us interested be contacted directly or will it be via a post here (and if the latter, how do I make sure I get the message?).

I'm confident you guys and gals won't let us down! :)

Very small patch should be dropping (dropped?) soon, so that GOG players can play on the same mp servers as steam-deployed versions of the game, running in nonsteam mode. That was a bug, relating to game version strings that should be fixed now, thanks to the wonderful work of EasyPickens :)

'nosteam mode' can be triggered by running the exe with "-nosteam", right?

Correct. Via ye old shortcut parameter

I look forward to hearing when codes can be offered. Since this is unlikely to affect tons of people, will those of us interested be contacted directly or will it be via a post here (and if the latter, how do I make sure I get the message?).

We'll see. If we can offer something for literally everyone affected, we'll announce it prominently.