PlayableZombie=True

Zomboid

In "Day of the Dead" there was a zombie named Bub who was tamed to not eat Dr. Logan because he would secretly feed him the recently deceased soldiers. In "Shaun of the Dead" Ed is also domesticated although in this case he is just chained up in the shed to play video games with his old buddy.

When you die and turn into a zombie it would be fun to be able to nudge the direction of your zombie (of course the animal instincts will still kick in and force you to eat your friend or push you toward noises so basically you can only control your zombie when the AI would usually be idle) Now if your friend feeds you like Bub in Day of the Dead it will disable the zombie instinct to attack your friend for a moment of time. Now to get this meat to accomplish this would require a recently deceased human (not zombie) and a cooking knife. To top it all off you should be able to handcuff your friend like Ed in "Shaun of the Dead" so you can still have him as part of your family.

Pretty messed up idea, but I'm all for as many gameplay options as we can get!

This seems like a gimmick/Easter egg sort of thing to add after 1.0 but it could lead to some fun if/when regular play gets boring.

My only concern is that you could 'artificially' lead zombies to other players in MP and that could be exploited unrealistically. I like the idea that base instincts will take over player inputs, but in between those base instinctual reactions you could continue to lead them towards a player or their base.

How is this a concern? It sounds more like a reason to have it! If you would try to make your zombie not eat your friends, why wouldn't you try to make it eat your enemies?

Because IMO it does not fit the lore. For example, when players are turned into zombies, we don't see them wandering back to their old safe houses with some evidence of remembering their past life. So why would they be able to seek out players anymore than any other zombie around them?

How is this a concern? <snip>

Because IMO it does not fit the lore. <snip>

Oh come on, Zomboid isn't some long established, set in stone, intellectual property - it's a game still in development. If we are meant to take the game in its current state as a canon representation of the exact lore of the world in every detail, the car was never invented and yet people made roads, every single person in Kentucky is infected except one (or a handful, if in multiplayer), ladders are only for show and not for climbing, and the rest of the world doesn't even exist.

Besides, there have been a few times a character of mine has died in their (used to be) safe-house, and when returning there is a zombie in the safe house looking exactly like the character... can't confirm, really, if it's the same zombie, but I can assume.

How is this a concern? <snip>

Because IMO it does not fit the lore. <snip>

Oh come on, Zomboid isn't some long established, set in stone, intellectual property - it's a game still in development. If we are meant to take the game in its current state as a canon representation of the exact lore of the world in every detail, the car was never invented and yet people made roads, every single person in Kentucky is infected except one (or a handful, if in multiplayer), ladders are only for show and not for climbing, and the rest of the world doesn't even exist.

Besides, there have been a few times a character of mine has died in their (used to be) safe-house, and when returning there is a zombie in the safe house looking exactly like the character... can't confirm, really, if it's the same zombie, but I can assume.

A bunch of slippery slope comparisons there.

A player that has died in their safe house and returning as a zombie that remains in the safe house is completely different than a zombie finding its way across the map back to their safe house to harass friends or enemies. A ghost would do this, not a zombie IMO.

You are right that it is not a long established and set in stone intellectual piece of property. But, it is widely accepted by the community and mentioned by the dev team that the lore of zombies for their game is based on Romero and Max Brooks. So of course they can take their own artistic freedoms with their own lore, but the lore that it is based on, does not fit this idea.

Furthermore, this basic idea (controllable zombie) has been suggested many times here on the forums. This version of it is the best I've seen IMO. Who knows, maybe it'll catch on, but it is listed under the section of Big No's.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions/

EDIT: actually arguing my own point here: there are some examples in later Romero movies where zombies seem to have some small memory of their past lives, so maybe.

• 6 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 9:30 PM, CaptKaspar said:

Because IMO it does not fit the lore. For example, when players are turned into zombies, we don't see them wandering back to their old safe houses with some evidence of remembering their past life. So why would they be able to seek out players anymore than any other zombie around them?

Land of the Dead, Day of the Dead...

19 hours ago, chewgowski said:

Yeah i dont think it fits the mood of vanilla zomboid. I wouldnt like to see it implimented.

Who knows where the modding will end tho?

When you turn into a zombie you never feel like you want to just wander around to a certain area?

Edited by Zomboid