Forum upgrades, tracker

Kirrus

Hi all,

It's coming close to the time when we'll need to upgrade the forums. When we do so, the current bugtracker will be destroyed. Connall has kindly built us a replacement from scratch, so we'll move over to that.

This means that *all* bugs in the tracker will be lost.

Obviously, since we've just released a stable build, we're holding this for as long as possible, for the current build to finish settling. Once it has we'll begin the upgrade process.

This is mostly FYI! Any comments/questions, please let me know.

Hey folks, in regards to the tracker that we will be moving over to, I would just like to point out a couple of things.

Since this was built from (relative) scratch, to be integrated into the forums some things you may have come to expect from the tracker and certain behavioural things will have changed. Most backend changes and issue management things will not be particularly apparent to yourselves so a lot of the "culture shock" you will experience will be minimal.

That said, things like searching, filtering and other navigation items will be different or flat out missing. Issue listings will look much closer to the forum side of things than how the issues are currently layed out. I'll be working on implementing fixes and tweaks to design in the coming months to make it easier to navigate.

Finally, should you come across an issue with the tracker then please, feel free to send me a PM here on the site so I can take a look as soon as possible. We haven't been able to conduct testing on a meaningful scale, so I have yet to see how it will act with everyone here. Hopefully it will run fine, but if not please let me know!

:D

I'm only starting to study databases (so interesting, I know) but I don't think the tracker is part of it. The users are. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm extremely new to it so I literally can only say that, but hey, now I can maybe learn if it is. :D

There's no way to transfer them over? I have never used the bug tracker but I'm just asking for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing.

I was originally building the tracker with the intention of supporting legacy issues and while the ability to port issues in the future wouldn't be theoretically impossible, the way the tracker was built came with a lot of redundant columns and fractured tables that were strictly not particularly necessary. Changes in way IP Board handles information and the way the application was built meant that bringing the reports over would require a large amount of work.

Creating an application to support the legacy issues would have taken quite a bit more time and would have led to columns that were just strictly not necessary, creating a tool to convert everything would also be possible but take quite a bit of time as well. There's an interest in seeing the forum system updated as it brings along with it security patches that would be great to see.

This also being the first time I have worked with IP Boards API and the rather radical overhaul it experienced from the older version, meant strictly porting the tracker wasn't particularly practical.

Should we save the bugs and re-post them and leave an edit at the end saying that these are the re-posted ones? How long do we have roughly until they're all gone? I'll start downloading my pictures and pasting the contents. 

If they haven't been addressed by a developer or a fix is underway, then yes. You should bring it over. If a fix has been commited or the issue has been closed, don't bring it over.

I'm only starting to study databases (so interesting, I know) but I don't think the tracker is part of it. The users are. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm extremely new to it so I literally can only say that, but hey, now I can maybe learn if it is. :D

Any dynamic information you see posted in the forums is stored in the database, the tracker included. Posts, updates, news, tracker issues etc are all information that gets stored and pulled from the database. Every application has a specific set of tables it uses to reference the information you see. There are forum tables, tracker tables and member tables. There's also stuff like setting tables etc that exist.

You'll find that if there is dynamic information on the site then it's being stored as a record of some kind in a database. :)

There's no way to transfer them over? I have never used the bug tracker but I'm just asking for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing.

I was originally building the tracker with the intention of supporting legacy issues and while the ability to port issues in the future wouldn't be theoretically impossible, the way the tracker was built came with a lot of redundant columns and fractured tables that were strictly not particularly necessary. Changes in way IP Board handles information and the way the application was built meant that bringing the reports over would require a large amount of work.

Creating an application to support the legacy issues would have taken quite a bit more time and would have led to columns that were just strictly not necessary, creating a tool to convert everything would also be possible but take quite a bit of time as well. There's an interest in seeing the forum system updated as it brings along with it security patches that would be great to see.

This also being the first time I have worked with IP Boards API and the rather radical overhaul it experienced from the older version, meant strictly porting the tracker wasn't particularly practical.

Should we save the bugs and re-post them and leave an edit at the end saying that these are the re-posted ones? How long do we have roughly until they're all gone? I'll start downloading my pictures and pasting the contents. 

If they haven't been addressed by a developer or a fix is underway, then yes. You should bring it over. If a fix has been commited or the issue has been closed, don't bring it over.

Any dynamic information you see posted in the forums is stored in the database, the tracker included. Posts, updates, news, tracker issues etc are all information that gets stored and pulled from the database. Every application has a specific set of tables it uses to reference the information you see. There are forum tables, tracker tables and member tables. There's also stuff like setting tables etc that exist.

You'll find that if there is dynamic information on the site then it's being stored as a record of some kind in a database. :)

Thank you sir. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. :)

Regarding 'saving' bugs, realistically there's too many duplicate/already fixed now. Try and save just one or two of the ones that have annoyed you the most, and post on the bug report to say that you'll repost on tracker #2.

Regarding 'saving' bugs, realistically there's too many duplicate/already fixed now. Try and save just one or two of the ones that have annoyed you the most, and post on the bug report to say that you'll repost on tracker #2.

Yep. I've done it. :) Thanks.

I think Map related bugs should be saved somewhere, I noticed they are fixed in bulk over some periods of time (Which does make sense, don't get me wrong) and it would probably take a while for people to re-discover them all by the time devs get around to updating the map files.

Edit: Note, I base my thought that they are fixed in bulk based on the fact the last time I saw any dev activity on that part of the tracker was massive (Lots of bugs got marked as Fixed) over a very short period of time followed by a lot of nothing but new reports, again, I get why it is done in such a way but there is plenty of bugs and some of them will take time to re-discover if the original author of the report forgot he made it or died or something.

I think Map related bugs should be saved somewhere, I noticed they are fixed in bulk over some periods of time (Which does make sense, don't get me wrong) and it would probably take a while for people to re-discover them all by the time devs get around to updating the map files.

Edit: Note, I base my thought that they are fixed in bulk based on the fact the last time I saw any dev activity on that part of the tracker was massive (Lots of bugs got marked as Fixed) over a very short period of time followed by a lot of nothing but new reports, again, I get why it is done in such a way but there is plenty of bugs and some of them will take time to re-discover if the original author of the report forgot he made it or died or something.

Yeah, I tend to fix map bugs in bulk, and I haven't been in the bug tracker in ages... when will the new tracker be implemented?

Yeah, I tend to fix map bugs in bulk, and I haven't been in the bug tracker in ages... when will the new tracker be implemented?

I second that question. Whenever it happens, it'd be great if it gets announced at least 3 days before the Big Wipe goes. That way all us Tracker regular can take our time to see which bug we bring along and which ones we don't. Plus, I don't think that ppl will stop posting stuff in the tracker yet, so there'll probably be quite a bit of fresh bugs by those last days.

It'd also be a good idea if the staff took away the possibility to post new bugs when the time's at hand.  

I second that question. Whenever it happens, it'd be great if it gets announced at least 3 days before the Big Wipe goes. That way all us Tracker regular can take our time to see which bug we bring along and which ones we don't. Plus, I don't think that ppl will stop posting stuff in the tracker yet, so there'll probably be quite a bit of fresh bugs by those last days.

It'd also be a good idea if the staff took away the possibility to post new bugs when the time's at hand.  

We will be actively locking the tracker to stop new issues coming a few days before the push.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yo! I'd like to report an issue with the new Tracker.

Whenever I try click the ''Follow this'' button, it gives me a ''There was a problem loading this content'', the same happens if I try to see who's following it.

Also, any chance of getting the ''Yes/No'' buttons back? Those were very useful...

8 hours ago, Blake81 said:

Yo! I'd like to report an issue with the new Tracker.

Whenever I try click the ''Follow this'' button, it gives me a ''There was a problem loading this content'', the same happens if I try to see who's following it.

Also, any chance of getting the ''Yes/No'' buttons back? Those were very useful...

I'll check on the follow content buttons, as for yes/no, those might make a return but not for some time yet. :)

• Kirrus unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Teesee said:

Hiya Connall. I don't know if you've done anything to the tracker, but now I'm notified when someone comments on my bug reports. That's very helfpul :)

From my understanding of the bug, as a creator of the topic if you allow notifications when creating the post, it works fine. It's only when using the subscription button from the issue topic, thing that issues come up.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure where I'm supposed to post this, but forum's notifications have a small bug. When someone you follow posts a new topic in the bugtracker instead of categories' name "__indefart_Issue"  shows up. Sorry if it's a wrong topic. ^_^ 

mNXZcHM.jpg

Edited by Keshash
pic