Use Sledge Hammer To Break Concrete/Asphast Ground To Farm

vonVile

With gardening limited to grassy areas there needs to be a way to bust the ground with concrete to get to the dirt underneath to farm. One place that I like to make as a safe house is the high school, but after I log wall up the open side of the playground to make it safe I can't plant seeds unless I design it so there's a small patch of grass.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Find a sand bag.

2. Find a shovel.

3. Fill sand bag with dirt.

4. Spill that dirt on concrete/asphalt.

5. Concrete/asphalt turns into dirt. Forever.

6. ??????

7. Profit.

That's not the real solution is it? That's overly complicated and also makes no sense realistically. Sprinkling a bag of dirt on the ground to magically make a cell farmable is beyond illogical. I'd rather just stick with what I've been doing and build walls out a little farther to get to the grass.

As for finding a Sledgehammer its not that hard. you just make a trek to McCoy logging or small warehouse and there's a great chance youll find one.

I wish PZ incorporated the perfect farming mod that somebody made a long time ago. You constructed boxes to put dirt in to allow you to farm.

There also needs to me multiple solutions to survival. I've have more problems finding a sand bag a sledgehammer, so it would be nice to also have it this way. Survival is based off of being creative with what you have, not be forced to gain specific items to one solution. I, in fact, plan to make a simple mod that helps players make tents easier and its very simple to do with what's already in the game.

What @Crashdummy11880 says. But with the addition that, while I agree with his assessment that it's stupid, it would make more sense to make a garden on top of asphalt/concrete, than try to smash your way through it with the use of hand tools.

I think potted plants would be a realistic solution to your problem and a good addition to the game.

1. Find a sand bag.

2. Find a shovel.

6. ??????

7. Profit.

That's not the real solution is it? That's overly complicated and also makes no sense realistically. Sprinkling a bag of dirt on the ground to magically make a cell farmable is beyond illogical. I'd rather just stick with what I've been doing and build walls out a little farther to get to the grass.

As for finding a Sledgehammer its not that hard. you just make a trek to McCoy logging or small warehouse and there's a great chance youll find one.

I wish PZ incorporated the perfect farming mod that somebody made a long time ago. You constructed boxes to put dirt in to allow you to farm.

There also needs to me multiple solutions to survival. I've have more problems finding a sand bag a sledgehammer, so it would be nice to also have it this way. Survival is based off of being creative with what you have, not be forced to gain specific items to one solution. I, in fact, plan to make a simple mod that helps players make tents easier and its very simple to do with what's already in the game.

I don't think its anywhere near overly complicated, its what empty sandbags are basically in the game for (as well as sandbag walls).

Also considering that you need a whole tile of dirt (that you wont be able to take dirt from again) to make one unit of soil, it's not "sprinkling a bag of dirt on the ground".

No need to coat the statement in shit - you are dumping a sack of soil on the ground.

Of course that has realism problems within itself, but you make it sound so much more out of this world than it actually is.

It's a heck of a lot more convenient than building out to the grass. You don't need any skills or real resources to do it :/

To add further credibility to Geras's method, with the loot lists in the game you should be finding multiple sandbags before you come across one Sledgehammer. They both appear in similar lists and sandbags are a lot more likely to spawn by a lot.

I like the idea of needing to build planter boxes. Rooftop gardens are very real things that exist today in the real world for growing plants where plants should not be able to grow. Then again green roofs do exist as well where the roof of a building is covered in soil. Gardens are then grown on the roof. Do a quick search and you will be inundated with examples.

http://www.greenroofs.com/

Heck a Wholefoods nearish me has one as well as Fenway Park (beloved home of the Boston Red Sox)

http://www.greenroofs.com/projects/whole_foods_lynnfield/whole_foods_lynnfield8.jpg

http://www.greenroofs.com/blog/2015/07/09/video-project-of-the-week-for-july-6-2015-fenway-farms/

So saying that you can't put dirt on a impervious tile such as asphalt, concrete, or a roof and grow food is obviously an ignorant comment.

This to me looks like A LOT less work than trying to bust through concrete or asphalt with hand tools. Also I suspect that the soil under concrete or asphalt is probably not very fertile. It hasn't been exposed to any nutrients or nitrogen for as long as the impervious surface has been there.

I'm not sure why you are complaining about moving dirt to a non-dirt tile to make farmable land.. If you have enough dirt in real life, you can do the same thing in reality... Instantly assuming that something sounds stupid doesn't make it physically impossible. It's possible, and I've done it to grow tomatoes and even potatoes.. You just need enough to allow the roots to grow properly, and keep it well watered. Planter boxes would help with making sure the soil doesn't shift around, and will also help keep the water from flowing out of the soil.

I do agree though that a quarter bag per tile probably wouldn't be enough soil for proper planting though, 75-100% of it might be good, assuming the tiles are a 1meter/1meter

1. Find a sand bag.

2. Find a shovel.

6. ??????

7. Profit.

I'd give you 10$ in Real Life just to see you breaking a road with a sledgehammer :D