SOLVED: Updating PZ Server v32.30 to v33.13

Rabisco

Hello Everyone,

Today I just Updated my server that was running version v32.30 to v33.13

Procedure I follow:

1. My v32.30 server files was on c:\pzserver

2. Change the name of the C:\pzserver to C:\pzserver.old (always good to have backups)

3. Backup folder C:\Users\%username%\Zomboid\

4. Open SteamCMD and run the following commands:

login anonymous

force_install_dir C:\PZServer

app_update 380870 validate

5. All Server files was download successfully.

6. Run StartServer64.bat

The server started successfully and without issues but everything was reseted. All MAP and all players.  :cry:

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this?

In Build 32, savefiles are in Zomboid\Multiplayer\xxx

In Build 33, savefiles are in Zomboid\Saves\Multiplayer\xxx

When clients update to Build 33, the game should move all the old savefiles into Zomboid\Saves\xxx.

I think the server does not move the world from Zomboid\Multiplayer\ to Zomboid\Saves\Multiplayer after updating, you may need to do that yourself.

Updating the server should never delete player data, that is saved on the client machines.

So do you have to force install pzserver dir everytime a new build comes out?

I am trying to update my server from 32.30 to 33.14 also but not deleting the old pzserver, just running stmcmd and app_update 380870 validate.

When I boot up the server and steam, I keep getting an error for running different versions.

TCO

No? set force_install_dir to the same directory that you used last time. Steam will validate and update the server files. Alternatively, omit the force_install_dir entirely and it'll just install in /Steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid Dedicated Server (this directory is used if you install the server from Steam).

No? set force_install_dir to the same directory that you used last time. Steam will validate and update the server files. Alternatively, omit the force_install_dir entirely and it'll just install in /Steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid Dedicated Server (this directory is used if you install the server from Steam).

I have not installed a server from Steam. I just have the Pzserver force install. And I have app_update 380870 (multiple times) and to no avail. The Server still loads 32.30

Should I delete the old pzserver folder and force install with the app update?

TCO

EDIT: Wow, I think I just Got it, I am still at work so I will do it on my home computer as well.

But I did what you said.

Entered Line in Steam Cmd.

FgMrUc8.png

Login anonymous

1. force_install_Dir C:/pzserver2 (Original Folder)

2. app_update 380870 validate

Loaded Server from 64 exectuable icon

And at the top of the DOS readout it has the 33.14 Demo False Readout instead of the 32.30

Yeah, it was most likely installing it in /Steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid Dedicated Server by default. You have to enter the force_install_dir line every time, if you want to use a custom directory.

Excellent advice. I didn't realize that until Now. Appreciate that A Ton.

TCO

And Also, I don't understand how it could install it to the /Project Zomboid Dedicated Server when I have never used it though? 

It's the directory Steam uses by default; if no installation directory is specified, it'll install there.

It's the same reason PZ itself is installed in /Steam/steamapps/commmon/ProjectZomboid

Can we mark this Double Solved?

Got home and did the: Force_install_dir D:/pzserver command (After logging in anonymous)

: App_update 380870 validate.

Worked like a dream.

TCO