Opening Bags on the Ground

CaptKaspar

IMO, we should be able to open bags on the ground like they were a container item.

Last night I was playing with a friend and they got mauled by a horde of zombies. He left behind a large hiking bag stock full of goodies. After killing his re-animated corpse, I grabbed his bag and immediately became over-burdened. With a long run home this was unacceptable. So, I set the bag down in a safe area to begin consolidating the inventory into essential items.

To do this, I had to pickup the new backpack, unequip my current backpack, equip the new backpack, open it up while equipped, empty out the essential items, unequip the bag and drop it, then re-equip my original bag and then transfer the items from my main inventory into my backpack....whew that was tedious.

Why not just be able to open a bag while its on the ground, take out what you need and leave the bag where it is?

I know you can equip a bag in your primary and secondary hands to help facilitate this, but if you only have a two handed weapon you may not want to do this. Also it just seems simpler to just leave the bag on the ground.

You can equip two-handed melee weapons with one hand and have a bag on the other.

I think accessing inventory should definately have some draw-back like this. It's actually very fast to empty out a container onto the  floor (much faster than transferring to another container) so your course of action should be:

- pick up container

- equip in hand

- dump contents on floor

- re-equip weapons

- put stuff in container on back

That works great for me.

I always use a mod which allows access to the inventories of containers ONLY when they are unequipped. This means one must choose between the weight reduction of equipping the pack, or being able to access its inventory. This suggestion takes that idea one step further.

In a game designed to be as realistic as possible, only being able to access a backpack when it's in the one place where one would realistically not be able to access it is strange.

Definitely support this suggestion.

You can try containers-on-the-ground-are-displayed-in-the-loot-window using this file. It goes in media/lua/client/ISUI. I don't know if we'll use it or not but it seems intuitive enough.

You should. Cause ya totally can in real life. Also, add animations of some one going through boxes or shelves.