The journal of Walter Kells. A simple man.

MadDan

Journal Starts Here!

Not much on the news now, but I've killed one of them. I don't see a lot of them around, but I've only went to my neighbours house. I've got a generator but there's no way in hell I'm starting it. I need fuel, anyway, but even then it's far too dangerous. They're fast. And I don't want to become their victim. I made a nice vegetable sandwich last night, I have more slices f-- fucking dog just barked near here. That's going to draw some, fuck me. I'll check the news later. I guess I have enough food to stay here for awhile but after that dog I better keep the noise down and out of sight. I'm okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07:10 P.M -- No news or any broadcast on any TV channel.  Starting to worry about it now. Hopefully it's just bad reception on my end. If not, we may all be fucked. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next day 08:30 A.M -- Saw the news, our "event" is "contained". So, I guess that's great for the rest of the country, but we're screwed aren't we? "Civilian fatalities are not a concern". Are they fucking kidding? People are being EATEN alive, then coming BACK to life. Since when is that not a cause for fucking concern?! If I find any motherfucking "official" or the military, I don't care what they're armed with. I'll give them something to be concerned with.  

09:50 P.M. -- "Knox event is contained."  Apparently, we shouldn't be afraid. They have some of the best people looking at samples and have no reason to believe they won't recover. What about the people in danger? Why isn't the military planning out an attack and rescue mission? Even just search and rescue and attack as a last resort. People's live's are at risk, and people's lives are worth living. Whether they're not deemed *important* by officials, they deserve to be informed about this. 

Fucksake.

12:10 AM -- Apparently violence in L.A and Washington, I hope it teaches them a lesson and they act to save lives quicker. Why are we so useless? Next day -- The president "accepts responsibility for 'perceived' lack of communication". BS. Stay in your home, 4 days later that's their recommended course of action? I've defended myself against 14 of those things. They're not people.

I've been doing alright. It's lonely.  Do I need to fortify? I'm hearing gunshots, screaming, barking. I killed four of them together today. That's the most I've seen this close together, and this close to me. Now we have a curfew? I wasn't paying attention, FUCK! Someone on WBLN just screamed "FUCK THIS SHIT". I have to watch more, it's getting really serious. Next day -- I have limited food options. Lots of food, but not much to make it with. I'm eating a burger patty on its own... At least it's something. I guess I may be luckier than some others. 

Curfew begins at 6 P.M. EST... Better stay inside. That's putting pressure on me to get supplies for myself... Better go now. 

An alarm went off in one of the houses. I stayed calm, I walked slowly back but it was scary. For the fear, I think I saved myself some trouble.  But the house is close to here. Gotta be careful of alarms more now... I want to peek out the window or door and see... I did go outside. There's about 7 or 8 that I can see. Too much to handle. They're coming from the North and the West so I know my current escape routes if I get overwhelmed. South and/or East. I have faith in myself. I'm going to keep the TV off maybe for a few days. Too risky. I get the gist. Stay inside, don't attract them, if you do, the best thing is the defend yourself. Running will make you an easy target. And, from my personal experience, they're tough. No matter how much fucking force I put into my swings, they keep getting back up for more. It angers me, but, that's what'll get me killed. It's not like I was born a killer... Though that squish... it feels satisfying.

Next day -- I don't want to turn on the TV. I have a radio, but if I got some earbuds to use I could listen without fear of being disturbed by them. I have no idea where to find them. Maybe in a car, someone's house? Whose house? Alarms are more my fucking enemy than those things are, and all that risk of dying for earbuds? I think I can do without the shitty news repeating what we already know for a few days. I'll check outside and see if I'd be able to sneak in a few bits of news without attracting them. Nothing major on the news... Some explosions and gunfire captured, but do I really care? No. Right now my food is low and I'm still alone with TV as a best friend. I'll live, though.

Next day -- It's been a week. It's raining outside. The first rain I've seen since this started. I wonder how the rain affects them? I just noticed that the curfew is stated after everything airs, on any channel. I haven't seen or heard any military close to this area which I don't know how to feel about. We need something. There isn't much else. Staying in the house, without company... It's depressing. But so is outside. 

Maybe the house that the alarm went off in is okay to search now? I've been searching other's belongings without caring... No one's here. They understand. I'll share some if I see them.

8:00 P.M -- I got some food from about 2-3 houses. It's barely enough for 2 more days, but it's something. I'm getting worried... I'll have to venture out further to get the supplies I need and that's a risk. I have no clue what it's like in the center of Muldraugh. There must be so many of them. I at least have an objective if it comes to that. Right now, I do have a good few more houses to loot and hopefully it'll keep me going for longer. If I can get supplies for a month, that would be great. Fuck, the power. I have a radio here that needs batteries and I left one back at the house. I gotta get it quickly. It's past curfew, but I need it.

11:10 P.M -- I got the battery. Killed one of them. I'm losing count, but that's around twenty-something of them I've taken down. Less than twenty-five. Time for sleep. I need it.

Next day --  I'm well rested. I've been adjusting to this well. Even though the food is dwindling after every day, after a week of this hell, I'm still good. I forgot to mention a religious nut on the news a few days ago. It's interesting to see how already insane people will react to these things. Will they hold their cross expecting it to save them or fight like they should? They won't survive. If they believe, and are normal. They'll be welcome. Otherwise, God is their only friend.

07:20 P.M. -- No news today. I was out, I hauled a propane tank and BBQ Grill back here. I saw a group of them up there, 4-5 and some stragglers. They're close. I need to be ready. I have a pistol but what good is it without ammo? Anyway a pistol wouldn't be a good idea to use. Unless I want them right next to me. It gives me comfort though. Time to sleep again.

02:40 A.M. -- I heard a noise. It sounded like broken window. I'm awake in my room... I don't know what to do. I'm fucking scared right now.

Fuck, fuck, fuck! One of them was INSIDE my house. The window's shattered. She was just there... standing by the TV, banging the window. There's no way she could hear a TV outside the house! What is she? What are they? She broke the window on the other side of the house and the TV was at the lowest volume... I'm keeping it off at night. Why didn't I in the first place? I'm alive. That's the main thing. I better move her and clean up the mess. Something to do, at least for this day.  

Next day -- My food is only canned now... I have dogfood, I'm not that desperate... yet. I'll go for a supply run, see if I can fill the fridge some more. I also need to fix that broken window.  

02:00 P.M -- They ambushed me. About 5 of them came to the forest, I retreated to my house. One go really close. But I'm okay. I got them. I used my knife to kill them off one by one. They broke another window in my house. I'm fearing for my safety. Food's a problem but so are they.

07:50 P.M -- I got some food. Killed more. Lost count. Don't get cocky Walter. Gonna eat now. 08:40 P.M -- I keep forgetting to turn off the oven. I have this entry so I'll be reminded. A fire wouldn't help the situation.

Next day -- I went looting, found a good supply of food. And a trowel! I can start planting some crops. No need for more danger. I also found a warehouse, which is where I got the trowel, but, not much else was there. I was hoping for some nails and some planks to barricade. Maybe I'll have to make my own somehow if I get an axe and a saw. Sleeping with two broken windows isn't comforting.

06:30 P.M -- Well, I think it's gone to shit everywhere. There's been no broadcast for several days, at least in this house. I saw some channel on in another house but nothing of importance. Nothing on TV, or Radio.  I have Walkie Talkies, Radios and a TV, hoping to pick up any signal day after day.

Few days later -- Nothing eventful has been happening. I've planted some crops, I'm watering them. The power just went out, though. I have a few radios in case anything gets broadcast. Sadly, nothing since. I've got two planks from a broken door. I'm going to barricade the windows and keep guard 'till late. Next day? -- I'm losing count of my days. I've lived this hell more than 13 days I think? 15-16? 17? Two weeks. This is my life now, I wake up, I go out, I loot, I kill, I come home, I sleep. Next day I do the same. I need someone to live this through with, someone who's survived this too and knows it. Someone to just... be next to. Someone human.  

07:20 P.M -- Killed a small group of them, then it started raining and now there's thunder and lightning. So far, not many have been drawn directly to my house, but around my area. Thankfully, they're rather stupid. They're indecisive. Barricades are up. One plank for each window. Not much, but it's something at the very least in these conditions.

Next day -- I got a signal on the radio! Early morning, but it's just fucking adverts. It's something at least. It feels less lonely now. 'Kentucky's as safe a place to live as it is beautiful'. Not so much now, right Mr. "Cal".

04:10 P.M -- I wonder if the clock is even right anymore. I found a house barricaded with several of them inside. I guess the previous people were all holding out there... There was a big group of them. Was one infected and didn't tell the group? That's selfish. They were so close to me and I didn't realize it. I didn't hear any barricading, but I am hard of hearing. Lots of them jumped out the second floor, which all the windows were broken in. They didn't flinch. They walked around like nothing happened. They didn't even fall on their back! I'm all alone.

I took their barricades and used them for my own house. Their loss is my gain, but I would have liked to share this house with them.

Some days later? -- I've gotten earbuds, finally I can listen to the radio with no hassle. Still just static. Surely there'll be something sometime? Will there ever be? This journal is almost full. Maybe it'll be useful to a survivor if I ever leave it behind. Or will give them some hope of someone who hasn't given up yet. Or will just give them something to laugh about because they had it easy by stealing. Whatever the case, I'm alive still. I just heard a gunshot. I've been hearing lots of stuff, but it seems that guns are a clear way to die. I've seen no human after a gunshot. I did get some rounds for my 9mm, but I'll probably not use it.  

It's been about a week later --They found me. I got scratched and I don't know if I'll make it... I feel queasy. I've eaten a lot and rested but I don't think I bandaged myself in time.  I think it's time. My name is Walter Kells. If anyone finds this, please, put me out of my misery. You're free to take whatever you need to survive. The pistol is empty. I used the rounds I found weeks ago to kill them. It drew more but I think I'm done for. Take care. I'm in the bedroom so you don't get ambushed like I did. I was a lumberjack before this. A simple life. After? I stole, I scavenged, I did whatever I needed to survive. You, stranger, survivor, raider, misfortune... You do it too. 

Journal Ends Here!

post-881-0-20177900-1452463092_thumb.jpg

He didn't die in his bedroom, they got to him.

I have to say, this was one of the most fun experiences in Project Zomboid ever. Thanks to the writing export mod too!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived