Falling injuries and prevention, prioritisation of action key tasks by safety

hyperchondriac

I've fallen while building onto the upper level of my safehouses a few times now (33.9-33.10), and would love for there to at least be a stall in the player's movement before he/she falls, and/or a chance of recovering balance and not falling.

Perhaps this could be modified by traits and skills, ie graceful, light-footed, etc?

Also RE falling, what's with the broken right thighbone being the invariable result?  Falling 1 floor onto grass in the summertime is really more of a sprain or broken ankle type of injury, rather than instant femur snappage.

Maybe back injuries or broken wrists could be an option?

If I'm careless enough to let the character fall 2 floors onto concrete in the freezing winter though, break whatever you like.

I've also been standing in front of an unlocked door adjacent to a broken window, pressed E to open the door, and had the character climb through the broken window instead and get deeply wounded and glass lodged in his hand.  In this situation there were no zombies nearby and I hadn't been running and button-mashing, though I could probably have been more careful.

If the E button defaulted to opening a door or attempting to open a door, rather than taking a glass bath, that could be a nice feature?

If devs see this, thanks for an excellent game  : ]

• 2 months later...

It happened again.  Was fortifying the Rusty Rifle, fell 1 floor, onto grass, in the summer, and broke the right femur.  8 days in, had everything but a generator.  Had already survived a bleeding scratch that didn't get treated as quick as I'd have liked, too.

Even had 3 months of full fuel cans, several fridges and a stove set up upstairs  :' [

The grief is quite real.

Well, looks like young F. W. "Newbie" Hardcore is about to very slowly tool up and see if he can clear out that horde up the road near where the two burglar alarms went off earlier this week, wish me luck!

Lol, I have the same problem. I have broken my leg in game about... 20 times. Let me see. I have kinda just taken to adjusting my idea of a "normal" speed to be that of having a fracture. I always carry a splint and bandaids on me when I'm out and about.

It actually happens enough.. i'd like to see an Acrobatics skill. I've only fallen from the second floor once and not gotten a fracture.. Come on man.. You know you are going down, just roll with it.  I've gotten really good at killing hordes while limping about slowly.. You just need to time your limp running so you don't over exert. Even sprinters are pretty easy. 

I think it'd be neat if instead of jumping out a second story window, the character went through the window and hung from the window sill on the other side. It could allow you to climb back up if you hadn't intended to jump out the window, but also if you wanted to jump, you can drop down from a much lower height that just leaping out the window. Realistically hanging out a second story window and dropping down should give you a sprain at worst.

As for falling off flat roofs, I think you shouldn't be able to just walk off just by pressing the moving keys. I'd prefer having to hold e to hang off the edge of the platform, and then doing the "drop down" thing again to prevent major injury.

Of course these should both be changeable in the options in case someone wishes to fracture their leg all the time.