With Depression & Boredom Consequences, Boredom Reducing Items

Blind_Didymus

Someone posted some of the unused sound files for boredom and depression on Reddit not too long ago - and it was a pretty interesting way of adding some consequence to those currently under-used aspects of the game.

In the Hydrocraft mod you can use chess sets and stuff to reduce boredom, but it seemed strange to make items like that one-use consumables.

It seems to me that it'd make sense to have novel boredom-reducing items produce an area effect (like a fire) that reduces boredom and unhappiness with decreasing returns the longer you have the same item nearby. For instance, a deck of playing cards would have a boredom reducing effect for the immediate room that lasts a pretty long time, but still decays (like food going bad). A Spiffo doll might have less boredom reduction and last less time, but still do something. That would require the player to continually find new items that reduce boredom without having them be inexplicably consumed or provide everlasting entertainment.

Anyone agree?

I fully agree with this, and surprises me it hasn't been implemented yet, as much of the clutter needed for it is already in game.

For instance, we have CDs, CD players, and earbuds. Why can't we listen to some music and relax? It would require batteries and would probably make you unable to listen incoming Zeds, but heck, it would at least prevent you from the constant boredom you're always getting whenever you spend a couple hours indoors doing something other than sleeping, reading and cracking the heads of Zeds.

Also, we have the Videogames, whose only current purpose is to render some electronic scrap. Why can't we play games on them to chillax?

Plus, this game takes place in the late 80s and early 90s doesn't it? This was the golden era of console gaming; shouldn't there be Game Consoles and Cartridges laying around living rooms and some bedrooms? They could give a good use to all those now-useless TVs once the signals die down.

I agree 100% with you.

But i think they need to make depression and overall unhappiness have a major impact on the character first before doing all that, insanity, a more in-depth depression, loneliness needs to be more feature heavy in my opinion before adding ways to counter them.

It would be like adding tons of food items with different recipes only to have to eat 1 food item (no matter winch one) each 5 hours.

(a very in-depth system with lots of options to counter a very very simple system)