Zombie Infection Suppressants(NOT A CURE)(Slows Down Infection)

lightiggy

I know the devs have said they will NOT be adding a cure or vaccine, but I would like to see suppressants getting added. I mean suppressants like the Anti Zin from Dying Light and Zombrex from Dead Rising.

Description: As the infection spread across the rest of the world, doctors finally made a breakthrough but unfortunately it only slowed the infection and only a small amount of it was distributed before the world completely collapsed

Suppressants will only stall the down infection

Overdosing suppressants is EXTREMELY Dangerous and will most likely result in death

This will be an invaluable item, ESPECIALLY in multiplayer-This item will add a huge asset to fight over and would be great trading material-People may kill each other solely for this item

There are several levels of suppressants-

Makeshift Suppressants-Crudely made suppressants unstable, could result in death(but when you are dying from a zombie infection what is there to lose???) Will stall infection by 12 hours Requires training and numerous chemicals to craft(ONLY prevents you from dying you will still be very unhealthy so this isn't a reason to take more risks)

Level 1 Suppressants(Uncommon)-Basic Suppressants-Much safer than makeshift suppressants but overdose is still dangerous-Stalls Infection by 24 hours(Will slightly reduce symptoms and keeps you alive)

Level 2 Suppressants(Semi-Rare)-Advanced Suppressants-Even safer than Level 1 Suppressants, stalls infection by 36 hours(Heavily Reduces symptoms and keeps you alive)

Level 3 Suppressants(Very Rare)-Highly Advanced Suppressants-100% safe(Don't overdose though)-Only a few samples got out-Stalls infection by 48 hours.(Completely eliminates symptoms of infection but you will still have the disease)

Also-If amputation is added, suppressants will get rid of amputation of being an option. Suppressants will stop the infection from killing you but will not contain the disease to the infection area.

This adds a whole new risk because now you must constantly obtain medication for your disease or you will die

I mean, if it comes to that, all I can see being added is an extremely experimental vaccine or something where it either works or doesn't, if it works (rarely) maybe you live to see one or two more days maximum. I still don't like it though. This game's ending is dying, so take a normal game's ending and keep adding levels and levels to prolong the game before it and you're delaying the inevitable ending and also making it tedious. Imagine the levels are suppressants, as I said, it'd get tedious repeating those levels again and again. I can just see it as every day in your game running for medication rather then being able to do anything fun or varied. 

If the developers see it a different way, that's grand, maybe it can be a sandbox option. "Delay the inevitable - Allow zombie infections to be suppressed meaning you may live to see another day."

I'm totally fine with the way this was presented in Dawn of the Dead (the original): a cocktail of antibiotics is given to someone in the hopes of delaying or curing the infection, but ultimately fails. It's realistic that desperate people would engage in this gambit.

That's about as far as I'd go with such a suggestion, though. Zombie-related names, actually curing the infection temporarily .etc just don't fit with what I consider interesting.

I dont see really a point to it.

You are delaying the inevitable, i agree with Enigma that it could be fun to see new players grabbing all kinds of antibotics and eat them all in hopes of having a "cure".

Also it would be fun to find fake vaccines in new survivors after the quarantine failed, like some big pharma company took advantage and made a "NEW VACCINE, PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN" so when a new NPC enters the city, they could carry the fake vaccine, giving hope for the new players thus making them cocky. Of course it would be a one time thing only since the player would found out after using it for the first time, but it sure as hell is going to stick with the player and give the whole "There was no hope of survival" thing more weight. 

Also it would show that shit happen all over the world and no one really cared until it came down to their homes.

As far as i would go for a cure is amputation on the spot, the moment you get bit you somehow need to prepare yourself to amputate or else you are fucked.

Of course this wont be used as much for 2 reasons, most of the time when you are bit (in my case anyway) is when i am corned by more than 5 zombies in a small hall. So cutting your groin would be pretty hard since i guess that extreme pain will come along with passing out.

Another Idea

Troll Vaccines:

Player can craft fake vaccines in multiplayer

Only the creator will know its fake

It can be modified to be fatal when use

Also, the suppressants cannot cure the disease only slow it down. So you will need a constant supply of drugs to keep yourself alive. Or... if you don't really have anything useful on you, you can just not take any medication, die, and respawn

I forgot that not everyone will be happy if something like this would be added because although this is not an actual cure this would still be a huge change to a game like this.

This suppressant option would be toggleable so if a host or a solo player wants to play without the suppressants they are free to disable them.

Honestly? I shut the infection off. It is a game. I play it to have fun, and losing my character (I play SP only) to random chance ruins the time and effort I've put into said character. The granularity of this game and the time required to heal wounds make it fun, not the perpetual threat of looming death.

Whine about badwrongfun all you like, I don't care. Ultimately, it's entertainment, and ending a perfectly good story because the dice fell in the wrong direction? Fuck that.

Honestly? I shut the infection off. It is a game. I play it to have fun, and losing my character (I play SP only) to random chance ruins the time and effort I've put into said character. The granularity of this game and the time required to heal wounds make it fun, not the perpetual threat of looming death.

Whine about badwrongfun all you like, I don't care. Ultimately, it's entertainment, and ending a perfectly good story because the dice fell in the wrong direction? Fuck that.

So long as you accept this means playing in sandbox, we're all good.

I think this may lead to a "supressant making character" being made and used only to produce said substance in MP. Character never dies because it never leaves, the supply never dwindles, players play on etc.

No, the only suppressant that can be crafted is makeshift suppressants and those would be the unstable ones. Also, if makeshift suppressants were to be added, they would likely require a large amount of hard to acquire chemicals to make. Also it only lasts 12 hours.

A "suppressant maker" job could cost a lot of points due to usefulness

An interesting thing to add would be to able to craft makeshift suppressants, you would need some sort of chemistry bench and science equipment. Good point though, because if it was THAT easy to make suppressants for zombie infection, the virus probably wouldn't have spread as much

I have a pretty brutal idea. If suppressants DO get added, a pretty tough trait would be adding an infected trait where the character is already infected with the zombie virus. He or she will get 1 24 hour suppressant to give them some extra time but after that they have to constantly search for drugs to keep them alive

Honestly, I don't think it will be added. Mods though, I know, will surely be filled with cures. Judging from the developers' vision so far, this doesn't fit in.

Unless more about the story is revealed where Fort Knox or something had access to an unstable - what they thought "cure" - suppressant and it comes out on broadcasts it was being developed but doesn't say where. Personally, not my type of idea for PZ but maybe in the story?

• 3 months later...

For some reason I'm reminded about a tale of a guy that got malaria once in the jungle. Hie fever was so bad that it actually was uncomfortable for his friend to touch him, scared of not knowing what to do he chucked him in a river in the hopes of cooling him down.

For the guy with malaria the river was unbearably cold and he started shivering violently and tried to get out but his friend wouldn't let him. He actually cooled down his fever enough that he managed to become lucid again and they made it back to civilization.

If a fever is the problem, pretty much anything that will lessen the fever would work to suppress it. So possibly even a bunch of Tylenol would extend your life a little?

I honestly don't see the point if it's delaying the inevitable, but if they add amputation, I think it could be useful as a delayer to the infection (got more time to find that saw).

Otherwise, meh. The way people get the doctor made drugs doesn't really make sense anyway. There's no military aid in the game, and the quarantine obviously isn't designed to be a safe place for survivors. Where would you find these stalls exactly? Fort Knox?

This idea really needs more depth, there has to be a reason to take the medication other than to prevent the inevitable. Also, suggestion to require constant use of the drug to prevent zombification once infected just sounds annoying, trivial and tiresome.

• 1 month later...

Seems to me that it would be very unfeasible, for a few reasons:

(1a), You would only find it in large cities (to big a risk just to live a couple extra hours)

(2a), If it came out just as the zombies overran the world, very few people would know about it.

(3a), where would you find this stuff? I mean serious, where would you be able to find it?

(4a), It would be very fragile, meaning it would probably break in the situations of the apocalypse, before you even found any.

(5a), All medicine has a shelf life. By the time you found some, it would probably be old and covered in weird glowing fungus (it is a rare experimental drug dealing with zombism, after all:P)

(6a), It's experimental. the side affects would out way the benefits.

I do see how this could be a cool concept and introduce some interesting lore/npc interaction:

(1b,) Radio chatter says that the CDC is working on a cure

(2b, Rumors spread of a cure or  vaccine in large cities (death trap)

(3b),Someone sells fake drugs to a small band of survivors to give hope, only for it to not work (interesting npc story idea)

(4b), Someone took the fake drug, and thinks that it saved them (in reality he was just one of the 4% of bites which don't actually infect ) this causes the con man to make even more money.

8 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

(3b),Someone sells fake drugs to a small band of survivors to give hope, only for it to not work (interesting npc story idea)

(4b), Someone took the fake drug, and thinks that it saved them (in reality he was just one of the 4% of bites which don't actually infect ) this causes the con man to make even more money.

If I remember correctly, this actually happened in World War Z (the book). It would be hilarious at first if you're playing with someone who's playing for the first time blind, but it would soon outlive its welcome once you know it's a scam. Still certainly something interesting for an NPC to be trading for supplies until you come along and ruin his operation. :P