Jump to content
RobertJohnson

The translation bug thread

Recommended Posts

Can we, please, have separate "high" "low" "normal" etc. options for those settings?

Some of those are shared with other settings elsewhere and there are gender-grammar issues here in Polish.

 

image.png

Edited by Geras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RobertJohnson

@Batsphinx
@lemmy101
 

It would be nice if translators were informed what strings you change/update for English, as translation debugger does not detect this and other languages are often left with outdated strings.

I.e. recently I found out that a Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead reference was added to one of the challenges, as well as numbers from 1 to 6 for each challenge. Also, "WIP" text got removed from mechanic info screen.

 

None of those changes were flagged for translators.

 

What I would suggest is to pull out all English text and create a google document where person responsible for English text would put OLD and CHANGED/UPDATED strings (so we can see the changes) and dates of changes and colour code it for us to easily see so we can update our translations.

Edited by Geras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2018 at 10:10 AM, Geras said:

@RobertJohnson

@Batsphinx
@lemmy101
 

It would be nice if translators were informed what strings you change/update for English, as translation debugger does not detect this and other languages are often left with outdated strings.

I.e. recently I found out that a Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead reference was added to one of the challenges, as well as numbers from 1 to 6 for each challenge. Also, "WIP" text got removed from mechanic info screen.

 

None of those changes were flagged for translators.

 

What I would suggest is to pull out all English text and create a google document where person responsible for English text would put OLD and CHANGED/UPDATED strings (so we can see the changes) and dates of changes and colour code it for us to easily see so we can update our translations.

 

Hey guys, I'm back!

 

I second Gera's warning, even more knowing that I told RJ about that over a year ago. We have no tracking of what's been changed in the original EN lines which are already translated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Yeah, we're going to have to have something in place when more written content starts appearing too. Hmm.

 

@Connall is going to dig into it :)

Great! Keep us posted then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Yeah, we're going to have to have something in place when more written content starts appearing too. Hmm.

 

@Connall is going to dig into it :)

 

Great news, thanks!

I would hate the thought that such a great game would have outdated strings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So currently line of thinking is to open up a GitHub repository where we can place the translation files, which would very easily allow us to see when files get updated (so we can include them into builds a bit more expediently) and since every change is logged, it would show when the english translations got updated. I would be more than happy to allow some of the more active contributors of languages, a bit more access over the repository so they could merge their respective language changes. This would give us a nice central place for all languages to work from. Plus maybe I can set up a thread specifically for notifications when the English language side of things has been updated. We did look at some platforms, but it may be a little out of our price range all things considered. (Maybe open a translator channel on Discord for notifications as well?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Connall said:

So currently line of thinking is to open up a GitHub repository where we can place the translation files, which would very easily allow us to see when files get updated (so we can include them into builds a bit more expediently) and since every change is logged, it would show when the english translations got updated. I would be more than happy to allow some of the more active contributors of languages, a bit more access over the repository so they could merge their respective language changes. This would give us a nice central place for all languages to work from. Plus maybe I can set up a thread specifically for notifications when the English language side of things has been updated. We did look at some platforms, but it may be a little out of our price range all things considered. (Maybe open a translator channel on Discord for notifications as well?)

Count me in! If it make your and our life easier regarding translation, go for it. I'm already on Discord so that's fine to me, maybe we'll need to set a few guidelines so it doesn't become flooded with off-topic notifications both froms devs and mostly translators :P

 

If you ever need informations in order to let me join, PM me. I'm still coordinating the FR translation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Connall said:

So currently line of thinking is to open up a GitHub repository where we can place the translation files, which would very easily allow us to see when files get updated (so we can include them into builds a bit more expediently) and since every change is logged, it would show when the english translations got updated. I would be more than happy to allow some of the more active contributors of languages, a bit more access over the repository so they could merge their respective language changes. This would give us a nice central place for all languages to work from. Plus maybe I can set up a thread specifically for notifications when the English language side of things has been updated. We did look at some platforms, but it may be a little out of our price range all things considered. (Maybe open a translator channel on Discord for notifications as well?)

 

Great!

Count me in as well.

 

I'm not very familiar with how GitHub works, but:

I have one concern. Is this going to tell us which strings got changed or just i.e. "Items_EN.txt changed today" and we'll be like "Umm... there are hundreds of strings in there, which exactly got changed?"

Best would be if system was string-based as opposed to file-based. So, for example, every time you change something, we get some kind of feedback what string changed exactly It would take some work off your shoulders (telling us which strings changed yourselves).

 

Just a thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Geras said:

I have one concern. Is this going to tell us which strings got changed or just i.e. "Items_EN.txt changed today" and we'll be like "Umm... there are hundreds of strings in there, which exactly got changed?"

Github will show you exactly whats changed...for example this commit that was made a while back in ORGM:

https://github.com/FWolfe/RealGunsMod/commit/e1ad51228b156b049e81a15f5b965266eca91d20#diff-9755fb8ab42c0a70c42befee24c06041

 

The first half of the page is showing changes made to a lua file, the second half is showing changes i made to the translation file.

Lines highlighted in green are new, red are removed.

If you look specifically at this part, it shows a line that was modified (it flags it red 'removed', then the new version in green, with a darker green on the actual changed spot in the text)

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.8942e431f1693c9ba4de1ba22b67d1e0.jpg

Thats the advantage of having stuff hosted on github, complete version history archiving and you can see exactly whats been changed in any file, at any point in its history.

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EasyPickins said:

The recipe names should be translated already.  I tried this with Recipes_EN.txt

 

    Recipe_Advanced_Mechanics = "AdVaNcEd MeChAnIcS",
    Recipe_Intermediate_Mechanics = "InTeRmEdIaTe MeChAnIcS",

 

image.png

 

Those lines didn't appear with -debugtranslation :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellow translators,

 

Am I the only one who cannot get rid of the Recipe_Make_Small_Metal_Sheet string? It's translated in my recipe file, but it keeps popping in the translation debugger.

Edited by Teesee
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...