The translation bug thread

RobertJohnson

@RobertJohnson

@Batsphinx
@lemmy101

It would be nice if translators were informed what strings you change/update for English, as translation debugger does not detect this and other languages are often left with outdated strings.

I.e. recently I found out that a Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead reference was added to one of the challenges, as well as numbers from 1 to 6 for each challenge. Also, "WIP" text got removed from mechanic info screen.

None of those changes were flagged for translators.

What I would suggest is to pull out all English text and create a google document where person responsible for English text would put OLD and CHANGED/UPDATED strings (so we can see the changes) and dates of changes and colour code it for us to easily see so we can update our translations.

Edited by Geras

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2018 at 10:10 AM, Geras said:

@RobertJohnson

@Batsphinx
@lemmy101

It would be nice if translators were informed what strings you change/update for English, as translation debugger does not detect this and other languages are often left with outdated strings.

I.e. recently I found out that a Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead reference was added to one of the challenges, as well as numbers from 1 to 6 for each challenge. Also, "WIP" text got removed from mechanic info screen.

None of those changes were flagged for translators.

What I would suggest is to pull out all English text and create a google document where person responsible for English text would put OLD and CHANGED/UPDATED strings (so we can see the changes) and dates of changes and colour code it for us to easily see so we can update our translations.

Hey guys, I'm back!

I second Gera's warning, even more knowing that I told RJ about that over a year ago. We have no tracking of what's been changed in the original EN lines which are already translated.

7 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Yeah, we're going to have to have something in place when more written content starts appearing too. Hmm.

@Connall is going to dig into it :)

Great! Keep us posted then.

9 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Yeah, we're going to have to have something in place when more written content starts appearing too. Hmm.

@Connall is going to dig into it :)

Great news, thanks!

I would hate the thought that such a great game would have outdated strings!

So currently line of thinking is to open up a GitHub repository where we can place the translation files, which would very easily allow us to see when files get updated (so we can include them into builds a bit more expediently) and since every change is logged, it would show when the english translations got updated. I would be more than happy to allow some of the more active contributors of languages, a bit more access over the repository so they could merge their respective language changes. This would give us a nice central place for all languages to work from. Plus maybe I can set up a thread specifically for notifications when the English language side of things has been updated. We did look at some platforms, but it may be a little out of our price range all things considered. (Maybe open a translator channel on Discord for notifications as well?)

5 hours ago, Connall said:

So currently line of thinking is to open up a GitHub repository where we can place the translation files, which would very easily allow us to see when files get updated (so we can include them into builds a bit more expediently) and since every change is logged, it would show when the english translations got updated. I would be more than happy to allow some of the more active contributors of languages, a bit more access over the repository so they could merge their respective language changes. This would give us a nice central place for all languages to work from. Plus maybe I can set up a thread specifically for notifications when the English language side of things has been updated. We did look at some platforms, but it may be a little out of our price range all things considered. (Maybe open a translator channel on Discord for notifications as well?)

Count me in! If it make your and our life easier regarding translation, go for it. I'm already on Discord so that's fine to me, maybe we'll need to set a few guidelines so it doesn't become flooded with off-topic notifications both froms devs and mostly translators :P

If you ever need informations in order to let me join, PM me. I'm still coordinating the FR translation.

5 hours ago, Connall said:

Great!

Count me in as well.

I'm not very familiar with how GitHub works, but:

I have one concern. Is this going to tell us which strings got changed or just i.e. "Items_EN.txt changed today" and we'll be like "Umm... there are hundreds of strings in there, which exactly got changed?"

Best would be if system was string-based as opposed to file-based. So, for example, every time you change something, we get some kind of feedback what string changed exactly It would take some work off your shoulders (telling us which strings changed yourselves).

Just a thought.

17 minutes ago, Geras said:

I have one concern. Is this going to tell us which strings got changed or just i.e. "Items_EN.txt changed today" and we'll be like "Umm... there are hundreds of strings in there, which exactly got changed?"

Github will show you exactly whats changed...for example this commit that was made a while back in ORGM:

https://github.com/FWolfe/RealGunsMod/commit/e1ad51228b156b049e81a15f5b965266eca91d20#diff-9755fb8ab42c0a70c42befee24c06041

The first half of the page is showing changes made to a lua file, the second half is showing changes i made to the translation file.

Lines highlighted in green are new, red are removed.

If you look specifically at this part, it shows a line that was modified (it flags it red 'removed', then the new version in green, with a darker green on the actual changed spot in the text)

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.8942e431f1693c9ba4de1ba22b67d1e0.jpg

Thats the advantage of having stuff hosted on github, complete version history archiving and you can see exactly whats been changed in any file, at any point in its history.

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

14 hours ago, EasyPickins said:

The recipe names should be translated already.  I tried this with Recipes_EN.txt

Recipe_Advanced_Mechanics = "AdVaNcEd MeChAnIcS",
    Recipe_Intermediate_Mechanics = "InTeRmEdIaTe MeChAnIcS",

image.png

Those lines didn't appear with -debugtranslation :/

Fellow translators,

Am I the only one who cannot get rid of the Recipe_Make_Small_Metal_Sheet string? It's translated in my recipe file, but it keeps popping in the translation debugger.

Edited by Teesee
Typo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Build 41.23 translation issue!

Can we, please, have separate etc. options for those settings?
Some of those are shared with other settings elsewhere and there are grammar issues here in Japanese.

Image0.jpg.b005eaa24a485b8c21844390c811e46b.jpg

There are parts where the translation is not reflected.
Send an image. This is a problem with build 41.23.

Image1.jpg.e90251459550088e22ff19976afcae12.jpgImage3.jpg.f640bf63425d009b5bf098ae2592ac6e.jpg
Image2.jpg.b2223e3995f1fb80d51711a92a1d7831.jpg

Translations of belts and holsters are not reflected in the game!

Image5.jpg.ef20c2149c600a30eac8b0c11df4224d.jpgImage6.jpg.cf605d0d46789d80a64dc065ef8721a9.jpgImage7.jpg.864a4df7438d97c16bcf1bc554e396a6.jpgImage8.jpg.1e047c57fa4f990b652d7607979bcb31.jpg
Image9.jpg.88d8b27c4c814a49c8f031b2f99b5705.jpg

Image10.jpg.f6cc789e3d254d9d68d788ff8fa86def.jpg

Image11.jpg.95a52f77845b9166e333f62b45c0a8db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Here in this reply I'm reporting translation misses that I found while playing PZ. I'm using the version 40.43 (Steam) in portuguese-BR language.

Tweezers isn't translacted. The correct one is "Pinça"; [Done]

The correct word is "Proteínas" and not "Proteí-nas";  [Done]

Edited by Alexsander_R
Some translations done and images no longer available

• 3 months later...