Your goals when you start your Project Zomboid game.

Dr Peter

Hi guys.

I have a question. Have u got any goals, when u start new game? My goals are to get food, get weapon, and...and that's all, i just don't know what else i can do. Share your goals please, so maybe me and some new player could use to start their new zombie adventure :)

Thanks

PS: Sorry for my english, your eyes can start bleeding.

PS2: By goals, I mean something like:

1. Get Food

2. Get Water

3. Get Weapon

Something like this.

Well, eventually the water and electricity is going to run out. After the water runs out you won't be able to get water from sinks/bathtubs/toilets. You would have to build rain collector barrels to collect water when it rains.

Also, you need to farm at some point, since food doesn't last forever. For that you need a trowel and some plant seeds. Seeds can be found almost anywhere but trowels are usually only in warehouses. You could also fish but that's a bit more complicated.

Also, you should set up a base and barricade windows and build walls to protect you. That's about it I guess.

food and water are easy to get at start.

the main thing im looking for is a good weapon (bat or axe). Next thing are nails for baricadig and nailbat. You can get planks by destroying doors with bat so if i dont find axe its not that problem.

Wood glue for me is gold. you can repair your bat or axe so its just like finding a new weapon.

next things are meds (painkilletrs, bandages and disinfect), generator + fuel and xp books. The reason for this is simple you will pribably get hurt on your loot runs and meds will let you survive it. You can only get fuel then the power is on and xp books are great in general.

3 rd tier are farming stuff, sledge, guns, water and food.

I often start in Muldraugh, so:

1. Search nearby houses for: food, water bottle, sweater (if winter), skill books

2. Run to McCoy for: axe, saw, nails, hammer, sledge, seeds, trowel

3. Run to designated safe house.

4. Start barricading and killing nearby zombies.

5. Go for loot runs.

0: Move to safehouse that's not too close/far from good looting spots
1: Weapon (Screwdrivers/Kitchen Knives + Baseball Bat)
2: Tools & Materials (Axe, Saw, Hammer, Nails, Garbage Bags, Trovel, Seeds)
3: Non-Perishable Food + Water
4: Carpentry + Farming Skill Books

(?): Guns & Ammo if Possible.
5: Move to remote location

6: Grind Carpentry and Farming

7: Build a Fort and Play Farming Simulator 2015

8: [Optional] Begin Last Stand challenge by shooting a shotgun when bored.

@Svarog

kind of same here

For example I usually play Survival, starting at WP:

(first two days)
1. look for a weapon (in case I need to break some windows)
2. go to gigamart and hardware store for food, baseball bat/s and axes
3. look for a big hiking bag (and a water bottle or two, it makes me save some time, otherwise oranges/tomatoes...)

(following 2-3 in-game days)

4. look for all the books
5. look for farming tools and seeds

(the rest of the game)
6. find a place or two to be a farmer (bonus: wood cutting + foraging), looting now and then for the fun of it (because I don't need 20+ empty mugs for sure), killing zombies to get more axes (or bats, vitamins, ammo)
7. then I die doing something stupid out of boredom

At that point of the game (after a week in-game) I start looking for bugs: usually going here and there for no reason, doing things (checking food system for example or  clearing an area to test the "zombie system"), destroying/building things, checking for red boxes (exceptions) and things like that; only after some hours of playing you can find out things like, for example, bugs with the rain (like the "frozen" rain graphics) and, like it's happening a lot in this new build, sound problems (too loud, too low...).

Testing the various traits (pro/cons) can take some time as well.

Also, burning corpses keeps me busy, that's for sure :)

Because I'll be gathering a good amount of food and water (I start filling pots asap to store in "safe" places.) a good bag becomes a vital  goal almost immediately. Of course I want the big hiking bag asap, but am stoked to find a duffle bag - even school bag - early on. I am a lot more mobile than I used to be and carry much more stuff  when I'm looting. I want to be ready to run for my life and know that might mean leaving safehouses/stashes far behind.

I always try to roleplay my games. Especially sandbox survival ones. So I act like I would in real life, not in a game. This means I won't "paly to maximize survival through game mechanics usage" but I'd behave like the world, and my friends and family just all died and their corpses are out to kill me too.

I've only played this game for longer periods three times. EVery time I ended up using the northern farm because it's very desolate and there is much space - and wood - to craft. The looting runs into town were annoying due to vehicles being absent, so I usually modded it slightly to help out a bit. Hordes were stationary in my runs and I never met one up at the farm. I don't know if that's still the case. Would be realistic if one would pass by every few weeks or so. I'd have to try and get a second safehouse up there somewhere in that case.

I plan to try it again when vehicles and NPC are in. I want to try and either survive together with a loved one (and shoot myself in the head when she dies) or a small community.

1. Collect food

2. Find weapon 

3. Find a temporary base to chill for a few days

4. find a sledgehammer

5. once i find a sledgehammer go to buildings with second floors set up a sheet ropes on the windows, destroy the stairs

6. find an axe but I usually find an axe 1st before the sledgehammer

7. build base

8. hoard food, weapons and ammunition

9. survive as long as i can

10. if i can't find a sledgehammer i switch to a nomadic lifestyle.