The Shutter Doors

Blake81

I'm sure we're all familiar with those; found in garages, warehouses, self-storages and the like, and that cannot be opened unless you have a sledge. IMHO, there SHOULD be a way to open them. I mean, they ARE doors, and there are storages where there's stuff locked inside and no other entrances but sledging one of these doors (or a wall).

So, I was thinking that maybe we could have them as doors, but with certain characteristics:

-Almost Indestructible

No amount of head thumping would be enough to breach one of them, and neither can Axes or Crowbars. However, you COULD blow them up with a pipe bomb or similar explosive. Also, once driving cars is added, ramming it with a car could destroy it. (and of course, there's the Sledge, which is kind of a cheat.).

-Slow and Noisy to open and close.

If you still have power, they could come with a small engine that opens them for you, but makes as much noise as a generator. But, if power's out, you'd had to crank them open and closed, which would make for a rather slow process and still be quite noisy.

-Can only be locked with a Padlock.

Whenever you wanna lock one of these, you'll need a padlock to do it. And since those aren't exactly common, this would make them very secure against Zed, but easily opened by a Survivor.

Overall, the main idea is to make them balanced enough that they make certain places easier or harder to settle in, depending on what you're dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes garage doors are loud and noisy and actually reopen if you trip the sensor imagine hitting the shut button as zombies approach hoping they don't get to the door before it shuts.

You can remove the sensor, though-I'd imagine it'd be damned important to find the poor dumb bastard who wandered off with the garage door remote and kill him for it. I'd also vote to be able to retrofit garage doors to be motorized OR remove the motor, depending. And of course upgrades to make the garage door silent...