How do I defend my base !?

FTR

Hello,

So I am playing zomboid with group of friends, trying to survive and it's super hard for us. Our first base was completly destroyed by enormous horde of zombies (few hundreds zombies) which also created huge lag and game freezes which killed us all.

Our 2nd base will probably die in the same way. So my question is, how do we defend our base? We barricaded everything, built walls and so on, but one random event and massive horde of zombies start banging on each door and window. Killing them all is basically impossible (at least the amount that we encountered on previous playthrough which looked like few giant hordes combined) and pulling them away also seems impossible, I tried gun and force them to follow me but they just give up quickly and go back to the safe house to start destroying it again.

It almost feels like some kind of mechanic throws hordes at us when it gets "too comfortable" and I like that, but at the same time I have no idea how to defend the base.

Dealing with hordes can be difficult especially if you are severely outnumbered without the melee or firearm skill to deal with the horde. Explosives and fire will work, but the consequences can be drastic if you aren't careful. 

I think the best piece of advice I could give would be to tell you to work acts of prevention. Sometimes this means thinning out small groups before they become massive. Sometimes this means yelling down the road to draw a huge horde in the other direction, even splitting it up between fences if possible.

Sometimes when it comes down to it fighting to your last man isn't an option. I've ran out the back door of many problematic homes that met an unlucky end. It's important to always have a backup plan no matter what your setup is. For me, it's "go-bags" containing a reserve of each kind of supply that are light enough for my player to throw on without instantly becoming encumbered. I have 3 or 4 for each relative category of supply (weapons, construction, food/water, survival gear) and one big bag containing just enough of each category to survive off of if I can't run for the other 3-4 bags.

While defending a settlement to death is noble, it can also be costly. If you plan on coming back to clear out the zombies, it might be a good idea to leave it as mess-free as possible and get out before the zed pile inside and the place gets destroyed by combat. If you don't plan on coming back, and the building isn't vital infrastructure, sometimes a more creative end to the place may be desirable. For example, in a multiplayer server we had a super-horde drawn to our base by a bandit. I guess the plan was to maim us with the fight and they come back for the easy pickings. But the power was still on, so I grabbed everything useful while two of my friends kept guard. On the way out I turned the stove and microwave on, and my friend through a Molotov out towards the front of the house as the zed were getting in. 

Not that I'm saying you need it, but if you want to change the server settings for zombie migration and make horde sieges less frequent you can make minor changes in the settings files for the server.

Hello,

So I am playing zomboid with group of friends, trying to survive and it's super hard for us. Our first base was completly destroyed by enormous horde of zombies (few hundreds zombies) which also created huge lag and game freezes which killed us all.

Our 2nd base will probably die in the same way. So my question is, how do we defend our base? We barricaded everything, built walls and so on, but one random event and massive horde of zombies start banging on each door and window. Killing them all is basically impossible (at least the amount that we encountered on previous playthrough which looked like few giant hordes combined) and pulling them away also seems impossible, I tried gun and force them to follow me but they just give up quickly and go back to the safe house to start destroying it again.

It almost feels like some kind of mechanic throws hordes at us when it gets "too comfortable" and I like that, but at the same time I have no idea how to defend the base.

There's 2 other options not mentioned so far: build on a rooftop of an existing building and smash the stairs with a sledgehammer, or if you're playing on IWBUMS branch there's a new server setting that makes it so zombies don't destroy player-made stuff on sight, only if they can see/hear/smell food inside.

As for fire, it is possible to control it if you have an adequate supply of water. You can throw it at the fire if it comes too close to your walls. Equip a water container as primary and right click the fire for an "extinguish" option.

Finally, if you and your friends have proper skills and equipment, a small group of players can defeat a horde in melee combat. Baseball bats, axes and a supply of beta blockers can wreck zombies when handled by folks with 3+ in accuracy skills.

Btw, i know it's not a suggestion, but i think PZ lack of simple wooden spikes or scrap metal walls.

If zombies want to attack objects made by players, players should have a better way to defend than making complicated stuff from enginerring etc. and running with molotovs.

Well.... Heavy Machine Gun that you could use (it should be building, but i think you should be able to use it from inventory, but this gun should be really heavy and you should have minuses to aiming etc. etc.) would be really nice, too.

It's not like you find guns like these everyday, but if devs will add military base (in my opinion PZ is lacking of that too) i'm sure you would found guns like these.

That's what we ended up doing. Demolishing stairs and using ropes. We found this to be extremly powerful strategy as zombies can do absolutely nothing to get to us.

This is usually the best stratgey but becareful that you have a way out at all times. Also if too many zeds congregate below you and 2 occupie the same tile they sometimes glitch up to the 2nd floor

Since you have a base virtually anyone already own at least one gun, it's simple you leave campfires with firewood (deleted) around its base and when they get light a (always walk with a lighter) and give one shooting (will attract the orda and outroszumbis next) will clear the area but stay away from the fire ... and do zombies on fire go toward your base

Archived