'Erosion' Should not Grow Vegetation Next to Water Bodies

CaptKaspar

When a game first starts there are dirt/sand tiles next to the main river in WP that has very little vegetation growing on them. Then after a few months of 'erosion' effects there are shrubs, bushes, trees, tall grass, etc on those tiles. This doesn't make sense to me. There's a reason they were only dirt or sand tiles to begin with, and I don't expect it was mankind trimming the vegetation along the river. It was nature naturally killing anything that took root there due to rising and falling water levels and erosion.

My suggestion is that within X number of tiles from large water bodies, 'erosion' (as the game mechanic) wouldn't happen. Trees, shrubs, etc wouldn't grow right up next to the river. There's a reason they're not there when the game starts right?

To take things a step further, I think it would be cool to see this as a dynamic effect. That after a strong rain the water level would rise and visually would expand. Spring time rains and snow melts could cause higher water levels. Summertime droughts could lower the water level. Build a safe house next to the river and you need to worry about it flooding. Planting crops a tile or two from the water's edge, probably a bad idea.

In short though, 'erosion' shouldn't happen next to the large water bodies.

I love 'erosion' everywhere else though!

As a side note, maybe 'erosion' should have its name changed to 'nature reclaiming' or something else. Because ironically erosion is one of the major reasons why we shouldn't have 'erosion' :)

This is the Ohio River, which I believe is what the river in-game is meant to be based on? The_Ohio_river_running_between_Ohio_and_

Maybe it should have more vegetation to begin with. But, in short, unless you're in a major flood plain, things can and do grow on the side of rivers. And it is mostly mankind that keeps it from being that way in other areas :P

This is the Ohio River, which I believe is what the river in-game is meant to be based on? The_Ohio_river_running_between_Ohio_and_

Maybe it should have more vegetation to begin with. But, in short, unless you're in a major flood plain, things can and do grow on the side of rivers. And it is mostly mankind that keeps it from being that way in other areas :P

Ok I see your point and I won't argue that.

BUT, if you look at the PZ map there are dirt tiles that extend nearly the entire length of the river, both sides of it that have next to no vegetation growing on them. Mankind didnt clear that many miles of vegetation for no reason. It's not like there are developments or anything along the river. There is a clear vegetation line shown on the map. Maybe it was designed when the water level was low? The game does typically start in July.

For some reason the devs didn't put vegetation next to the vast majority of the water line, maybe they shouldn't have done this and you're right that maybe there should be vegetation growing next to the river. Actually when looking at satellite imagery of the real WP there is plenty of trees next to the river in most places. Sand where there isn't.

It just feels wonky to me and a few server members mentioned it as well so I thought I'd bring it up.

I'm guessing it feels wonky mainly just because it looks a bit odd compared to how you're used to seeing it. I'm not... necessarily... discounting the suggestion; it may just be more aesthetically pleasing to keep the banks clear; I'm not sold either way 100% myself. Just happened to notice the thread and thought I'd mention it- growing up in the southern US, I've seen quite a few waterways from tiny creeks to massive rivers, and I have the pleasure of being able to see them in fairly uninhabited areas. Unless it's very sandy, the foliage usually goes right down to the shore and many times even into the edges of the water.

I'm guessing it feels wonky mainly just because it looks a bit odd compared to how you're used to seeing it. I'm not... necessarily... discounting the suggestion; it may just be more aesthetically pleasing to keep the banks clear; I'm not sold either way 100% myself. Just happened to notice the thread and thought I'd mention it- growing up in the southern US, I've seen quite a few waterways from tiny creeks to massive rivers, and I have the pleasure of being able to see them in fairly uninhabited areas. Unless it's very sandy, the foliage usually goes right down to the shore and many times even into the edges of the water.

I am just going to pretend that when the game starts the water level is low since its July and the Ohio river valley has been in a drought. It explains the dirt/muddy banks without vegetation :)

You are right about the vegetation usually growing up to the banks in RL.

It's my own suggestion and I'll say that it's importance is about as low on the priority level as you can possibly get, if worth doing at all.

Just thought I'd mention it as a suggestion.

If the Ohio river doesn't flood much or doesn't change its water level much, then there probably shouldn't be muddy dirty banks to begin with.

Dozens of better things to do than address this issue though. At least it's a new suggestion that I haven't seen before :)

There need to be MORE bodies of water in Muldraugh specifically. As in there are literally ZERO in that area. More rivers/streams and also maybe a swimming ability !

It's based on a real world place, they can't just add water bodies willy nilly :o take a look at the real place!

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Muldraugh,+KY,+USA/@37.9580952,-85.8190288,130621a,20y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x886920e97d5031c9:0x70e1eb33a4c46c0!6m1!1e1

You'll notice that link zooms out to include Louisville and Fort Knox, cuz apparently we're getting those too sometime in the future :D

Of course the game is set almost 25 years ago but it's not that long, it's not like the cities would have doubled in size during such a short timespan.

*edit* if you zoom in on the banks of the Ohio river around WP, it really looks like most of it is setup as a beach, explaining the absence of vegetation and its return once the humans stop trampling the place and uprooting more adventurous little plants.