Walkie-Talkies - How to Use Them?

CaptKaspar

Question

How do we use the new Walkie-Talkies?

I have found 2 of the same type. I had myself and another character both equip them in their primary hand. We get the UI screen where we can change the volume, tune frequencies, etc. We turn the Walkie-Talkies on, verify they have plenty of battery life left. Tune them to the identical frequency. Now what? We tried chatting with both 'T' and 'Y' and nothing was broadcasted over the walkie-talkies. We would occasionally see a "Bzzt" over our heads and would occasionally see the sound wave in the UI get amplified, but we couldn't figure out how to communicate with them.

What am I missing?

7 answers to this question

I have found 2 of the same type. I had myself and another character both equip them in their primary hand. We get the UI screen where we can change the volume, tune frequencies, etc. We turn the Walkie-Talkies on, verify they have plenty of battery life left. Tune them to the identical frequency. Now what? We tried chatting with both 'T' and 'Y' and nothing was broadcasted over the walkie-talkies. We would occasionally see a "Bzzt" over our heads and would occasionally see the sound wave in the UI get amplified, but we couldn't figure out how to communicate with them.

What am I missing?

Is it possible to use a Walkie-Talkie for to communicate??? :o  Or i didn't understand the question?

What am I missing?

Is it possible to use a Walkie-Talkie for to communicate??? :o  Or i didn't understand the question?

What's the point of a walkie-talkie if you can't communicate with them? :)

This is how I envisioned them: That you could use them on a server that does not have global chat active and the only way to commuicate 'in game' over any distance would be with them. (VOIP and Steam Chat ruins that need though).

I can just use a hand held radio instead of a walkie talkie, if I can't use a walkie talkie for talking.

Actually, it's pretty simple. You just need to have them equiped and tuned to the same frequency. Just look at this screencap:

post-21907-0-22414300-1449955288_thumb.j

Both my Walkie Talkie and my HAM Radio are on the same frequency (500MHz), so every time I say something (I had to use the Shout function, as Chat doesn't work on Solo mode, to show it here) it'll be heard on the other one. Of course, the farther away you are from each others, the lower the quality of the message. All radios have that Strength Stat which is what tells you the maximum distance you'll be able to transmit to each others. Also, if your radio is not Twoway, you won't be able to transmit anything.

Hope this all helps. I really love this feature. Pity it's of almost no use on Solo mode...

Actually, it's pretty simple. You just need to have them equiped and tuned to the same frequency. Just look at this screencap:

attachicon.gif2015-12-12_00001.jpg

Both my Walkie Talkie and my HAM Radio are on the same frequency (500MHz), so every time I say something (I had to use the Shout function, as Chat doesn't work on Solo mode, to show it here) it'll be heard on the other one. Of course, the farther away you are from each others, the lower the quality of the message. All radios have that Strength Stat which is what tells you the maximum distance you'll be able to transmit to each others. Also, if your radio is not Twoway, you won't be able to transmit anything.

Hope this all helps. I really love this feature. Pity it's of almost no use on Solo mode...

WoW! It's really good function and a great RPG element.

Yeah, the possibilities of what you can do with them are virtually infinite. The only annoying part is having to hold them on one of your hands, as most good weapons are two-handed. Wish there was some way we could wear them on the belt or in the chest with some harness like most security guards do.

Mmmh, there is the knife...  it isn't a bad weapon, if you are skilled with those weapons and you know how to use it. I can kill a group of 15 -18 zombies with a good series of moves and combat tactics (i am dead 100 times for to learn the knife's fighting with max efficiency). Anyway, in my honest opinion a character in game has to hold the Walkie talkie for to speak... (I am a security guard in real life, and for to speak with the Walkie-T. i have to hold it with one hand, when i have to use it).

Well, whenever I use the knife (unless you meant the Hunting Knife, which I've never even seen) I almost always end with one or two bite marks. Still, I didn't meant to wear the Walkie Talkie on the belt for speaking, only for listening, specially if you're wearing headphones. After all, imagine how bothersome it would be if you had to hold it on your hand just for listening to it.

Btw, I just discovered a new use for the Radios; distractions. I put on in the middle of the street next to my safehouse, with some nearby Zed (sneaked around) and then I went up to the roof so I could watch it and starting shouting on my own Walkie Talkie. Surely enough, the radio also shouted, and the Zed all headed towards it, and they didn't even attack it. This makes me think that it'd be great if you could throw a radio at a horde as distraction.