Foraged Tool Materials

Okamikurainya

I'm not sure about you, but I would rather spend days looking through stinking zombie carcasses for a fire axe than bother to craft a stone axe. IMO they are absolutly useless, breaking after hardly anything. Now, I agree that they shouldn't compare to the fire axe, but breaking after around two or three trees or one zombie kill just makes them a waste of time and materials.

My idea to fix this is the addition of varied durability to chipped stones, stones and branches. Not all chipped stones should be the same effectiveness, and neither should branches. The end result should be based on the combined durability of the materials plus a boost based on your carpentry level. Add to that finding materials with higher durability based on your foraging level, it partners the carpentry and foraging together and gives you a reason to build the levels up and maybe spend a bit of extra time foraging to find the chipped stone that's JUST right. :P

What y'all think?

Did you know that blade maintenance affects on the durability of the stone axe? Have you tried it maxed out or at least on a good level? That does represent how well you know your weapons, impacting on how you swing them in order to not bend or twist them etc.

I do agree that carpentry could/should (if not already the case, dunno...) affect the outcome of the blade. Otherwise, I think it might be too micromanagey to try and find better stones or wood just to build that crappy axe. Although I do think it'd serve for a challenge for those who are doing well in the game and have the time for that, it shouldn't be that significant of a difference though. Also 2 large trees with a makeshift axe you built for the first time in your life is quite good imo...

Did you know that blade maintenance affects on the durability of the stone axe? Have you tried it maxed out or at least on a good level? That does represent how well you know your weapons, impacting on how you swing them in order to not bend or twist them etc.

I did, I use a fire axe as my sole weapon and I'm around level 8 now on maintenance, but the increase in durability for the stone axe seems negligible to me, so far at least. But yeah, I'm not meaning the knowledge of how to use them in order to not break them so fast, that should be a factor at low levels.

Otherwise, I think it might be too micromanagey to try and find better stones or wood just to build that crappy axe.

Eh, I don't see it as any more micromanagey than things like the herbalist trait and making sure you don't eat stale food or getting different "sized" animals caught in your traps.

Although I do think it'd serve for a challenge for those who are doing well in the game and have the time for that, it shouldn't be that significant of a difference though.

I agree, like I said, it shouldn't ever be comparable to the fire axe but still, a high level carpenter with all the knowledge of time in the wild fending off zombies should be able to find the right stones and sticks, tie them together the right way and have a stone axe that's at least half as durable as a fire axe.

Also 2 large trees with a makeshift axe you built for the first time in your life is quite good imo...

Very true, but I'm talking late rewards, not first day in the woods. :P

On the on hand, I'd really like to see various quality of craftables be introduced, probably by adjusting starting durability/damage according to the quality of the parts and the skill of the user. Most of the stuff required is already in game, would just need to add the durability property to things like stone to represent their "quality" and adjust the crafting mechanics to calculate an average of the parts' durability, adjusted by your skill level, to generate the final stats of your crafted tool.

On the other, I don't think a crafted axe should ever compare to a proper tool, manufactured by a machine and designed by an engineer with access to all the tools of his trade. Don't matter how perfect a rock or how sturdy a stick, you'd never be able to make something comparable to a fire axe with random stuff you found in nature and hand tools only. Maybe if your character had access to a machine shop (that would actually be pretty cool: high lvl skill + geny powered machine shop = craft regular items like a fire axe :D ).

*edit* Hell even the fire axe is a bit OP. You ever felled a tree? It's a good thing they can't move (much) cuz they are insanely hard to kill o.O I'm not sure what a fire axe is made with these days (well, in the 90s I should say) but i'm fair sure you still need to put it to a whetstone pretty much after every tree.

Actually felling a tree is better done with a 45 degree cut in the face of the tree about 1/2 of the way through. Then you saw into the back side about 1/4 of the way, then drive a wedge in with a maul or the back of your axe.

As far as felling axes, provided you are using the axe properly you could cut all day and simply touch it up at the end. That's a actually what double bitted axes were for. One side would have a more robust blade geometry to cut up roots and such due to rocks. The other side was kept razor sharp for the actual felling.

Actually felling a tree is better done with a 45 degree cut in the face of the tree about 1/2 of the way through. Then you saw into the back side about 1/4 of the way, then drive a wedge in with a maul or the back of your axe.

As far as felling axes, provided you are using the axe properly you could cut all day and simply touch it up at the end. That's a actually what double bitted axes were for. One side would have a more robust blade geometry to cut up roots and such due to rocks. The other side was kept razor sharp for the actual felling.

Sounds to me like there's more to felling a tree than finding a fire axe and wacking at the tree with it ;)

Sounds to me like there's more to felling a tree than finding a fire axe and wacking at the tree with it ;)

You can JUST use an axe sure, but if you wanna be accurate with dropping a tree you will want a saw and a wedge.

Heh... I was referring to using something akin to a fire axe. Give me a few days, I actually want to give this a try IRL. XD

Now I'm sorta worried the next time we hear from you it will be through the newspaper with a headline like "Man found with chipped stone embedded in skull: Believed to have been felling a tree with makeshift axe" :o

That is not right...

I think the stone axe should be affected by the maintenance skill, but apparently it doesn't...

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-2307-stone-axe-durability/

That is not right...

I think the stone axe should be affected by the maintenance skill, but apparently it doesn't...

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-2307-stone-axe-durability/

It is, you just have a wrong understanding of how Maintenance skill actually affects stuff.

See, every weapon has a Durability (HitPoints basically) and a 1 in X chance for it to decrease on use by 1.

Maintenance skill doesn't increase durability, it just makes it less likely for the weapon to get damaged.

I ran a test.

Maint Lvl 0 - Stone Axe - Average 3-4 down with ~16 swings

Maint Lvl 10 - Stone Axe - Average 6-7+ trees down with ~16 swings

In both cases the durability went down by the same increments (Let's assume Stone Axe has 5HP, HP always went down by 1 point) But I could hit hell of a lot more times with higher maint without it going down.

My test is based on just playing the game for 5 minutes until I broke 4 raw axes on each skill level (0 and 10) not on some code i read.

I think the current stone axe mechanic is quite reasonable, however, I would like to be able to use a stone hammer to convert stones into stone chips. Or 2 stones being turned into stone chips. Demonstration here https://youtu.be/BN-34JfUrHY and here for faster/better head making https://youtu.be/uuh_hAl_TGk.

It would be nice if you could also repair it with more sheet and branches instead of loosing the head everytime