Varied Sandbox Zombies

Okamikurainya

Just an idea I'd like to throw out for Sandbox mode, I'm not sure about how resource intensive it would be but AFAIK zombie age and such is stored without any hassle so I hope this would be possible.

The core idea of the idea is take each zombie and randomize the zombie specifications for it leading to a bit more of a diverse playthrough. Say you break into a building and find it full of zombies, you're about to panic when... Oh, they're a bunch of weak slow shamblers. Thinking you're safe you dispatch them and carry on when a strong sprinter darts out from around the corner and bites you while you struggle against it. Not knowing what to expect from each zombie, at least at first. Maybe have them all degrade to fast shamblers over time?

Also, maybe have a few more options for the zombie decay, such as sight, hearing and smell degrading over time as well as speed and strength?

What y'all think?

These sound like great ideas to me. This reminds me of a topic from awhile ago where someone wanted the color of clothes on zombies to fade as they age. I would not play with sprinting zombies until they make a new animation.. I can't play with zombies that look just like me when running! 

I'd love to be able to set EVERYTHING to completely random (Except for loot distribution, that goes to minimum). As much as I love sandbox at this point I'm incapable of setting up a preset where I cannot predict everything. I've played PZ so much that unless I get everything randomized and don't know wtf to do I will always survive long enough to be bored.

Sandbox is really missing a "Random" setting that can be anything between Min/Max value of any given option, be it starting date or infection spread.

I'd love to be able to set EVERYTHING to completely random (Except for loot distribution, that goes to minimum). As much as I love sandbox at this point I'm incapable of setting up a preset where I cannot predict everything. I've played PZ so much that unless I get everything randomized and don't know wtf to do I will always survive long enough to be bored.

Sandbox is really missing a "Random" setting that can be anything between Min/Max value of any given option, be it starting date or infection spread.

Like3

Pretty much. The main problem with PZ at the mo that I have is the same as what Svarog said, once you know the settings then you know what to expect.

I want the chance to feel that fear the population probably felt, not knowing what to expect. Going for a run when you're chased by sprinters, taking on a slow shambler only to realize it has incredibly high strength, trying to open a window and a hoarde with good hearing plods your way.

One thing I thought of now that I didn't before is that sprinters should wear themselves down while running a lot faster than standard decay, they can't feel the damage they're douing to themselves.

Pretty much. The main problem with PZ at the mo that I have is the same as what Svarog said, once you know the settings then you know what to expect.

I want the chance to feel that fear the population probably felt, not knowing what to expect. Going for a run when you're chased by sprinters, taking on a slow shambler only to realize it has incredibly high strength, trying to open a window and a hoarde with good hearing plods your way.

One thing I thought of now that I didn't before is that sprinters should wear themselves down while running a lot faster than standard decay, they can't feel the damage they're douing to themselves.

I liked your first idea.  For this one, I'm against.

1) Zombie do not tire, at least not in the traditional sense.  They may decay, they may break some bones, but they are not alive...

2) ... as such, I find it doubtfull that they would produce lactic acid (main byproduct from muscular cells burning energy such as ATP... Adenosine Triphosphate).  It is mainly the build-up of lactic acid that explain tiredness as far as I can tell.  Thus, it is doubtfull that they would feel the effect of fatigue.

That does raise the question of : how can they move if they don't burn energy at a cellular level?  If the answer is : they do, just not in the same way... the points 1-2 may or may not apply.

1) Zombie do not tire, at least not in the traditional sense.  They may decay, they may break some bones, but they are not alive...

I agree, so I guess you're not disagreeing with me. :I

2) ... as such, I find it doubtfull that they would produce lactic acid (main byproduct from muscular cells burning energy such as ATP... Adenosine Triphosphate).  It is mainly the build-up of lactic acid that explain tiredness as far as I can tell.  Thus, it is doubtfull that they would feel the effect of fatigue.

Nope, they do not, they are dead. Though I do wonder if they perhaps create some form of lubricant.

I think this stems from a misread of this:

sprinters should wear themselves down while running a lot faster than standard decay, they can't feel the damage they're douing to themselves.

The term you were thinking of is "wear themselves out", whilst I said "wear themselves down" by which I meant constant bone grinding on bone, muscles tearing through unchecked use and damage from stumbling around like a drunkard constantly.

The whole terror of the zombie is that they never tire, but decay and wear and tear will do their job regardless of how "tired" a zombie may be. :P