PZ players might dislike this...

Insidiousness

But I suggest that the sledgehammer should't be able to break stairs.

Or make sheet ropes unsafe so players break their legs every once in a while.. Depending on strength, endurance, tiredness level, exhaustion and what not. 

But most preferable removing the possibility to destroy stairs. Barricading the stairs.. Sure, but completely breaking them? Madness!

I mean we can even sledge metal stairs in a warehouse to pieces..

Okay, so I'll refine my suggestion:
No sledging of metal stairs

Penalties/danger involved with using sheet rope (especially the higher up it? Carrying weight? Tiredness? Exhaustion? Sickness?)
No flying fortress  :mad: 
Ability to barricade stairs with a new item such as *broken furniture* or something. (right click chair, chose break.. it goes into the ground and you can pick it up and it's very heavy ofc. This item is useful for barricading stairs or doors, completely blocking the entrance. Looks cool too!)

As far as I remember, the number 1 first thing they say you should do in the zombie survival handbook is demolish the stairs of your home so you can be safe upstairs.

Speaking from experience smashing large chunks of granite with sledgehammers, wooden stairs would be a piece of cake. Metal stairs though... It wouldn't be added into the game but it would be hilarious for the player to suffer impact feedback and force them to drop the sledgehammer. XD

But I suggest that the sledgehammer should't be able to break stairs.

Or make sheet ropes unsafe so players break their legs every once in a while.. Depending on strength, endurance, tiredness level, exhaustion and what not. 

But most preferable removing the possibility to destroy stairs. Barricading the stairs.. Sure, but completely breaking them? Madness!

I mean we can even sledge metal stairs in a warehouse to pieces..

I still have a crusade against flying fortress with sheet ropes as the only entrance, but i read the devs have something planned to counter that, so i guess we might see that in the animations update?

I think you shouldn't be able to climb sheet ropes if you're too heavy or exhausted or more weight increases the chance of the rope tearing or the nail coming undone.

Maybe have strength have something to do with it. Currently with one nail you can be carrying max weight on top of human weight while max exertion and no strength and climb a sheet rope.

I think you shouldn't be able to climb sheet ropes if you're too heavy or exhausted or more weight increases the chance of the rope tearing or the nail coming undone.

Maybe have strength have something to do with it. Currently with one nail you can be carrying max weight on top of human weight while max exertion and no strength and climb a sheet rope.

Agree 100%

I like the general idea, seeing as I already did a suggestion similar to that (edit : as your second sentence indicate, not the sledge + stair).

See topic 13141, named : Sheetropes fail (falling)

Some people where concerned about the randomness of it, but as I stressed out in my post, carefull preparation would be the key (no heavy load, fatigue and high nimble skill). (edit : and slide back down would be a safe compromise)

As for destroying stairs... it should be akin to breaking glass.  You get most of it out of the way when you break them, but there is some "shards" leftover.

In the particular case of stairs... it could allow very nimble player to move accross without penality.  Zombies could eventualy hoist themselves up, when there are enough of them so they can climb on each others.

That gives me an idea!  I will be in a separate post after some brief research.

At Etsamaru, my quote function does not seem to work and I'm too lazy to check how to fix it.  On your latest post (between my two).

I agree for ground to first floor (i.e +1 floor).

I disagree for more floor above the first (+2 floor and up).  The chance you would be high enough for damage would increase with each floor, or at the very least, one check should be made per floor.

Again at Etsamaru (latest post).

Your right.  More weight equal faster chance of breaking, if I understand you correctly.

As for sturdier ropes... may I direct you to my suggestion topic #16712, named : Marina/Boat store (new map feature and new items)...

Granted, some of them (stainless steel cable) may not be suited for climbing ;)

What about ladders?
They'd have durability based on the material and your carpentry skill, and would require constant maintenance if you walk up them with tons of weight 24/7, but would be much more balanced and realistic than a sheet rope.

Destroying stairs is a completely viable option in real life, it's the sheet ropes and floating fortresses that're the problem.

I posted a suggestion a few months back suggesting different tiers of climbing fixtures and different penalties that would prevent you from climbing, with different drawbacks and suggestions for the tiers... Might as well summarize and add my two cents!

Right off the bat at base, you need both hands to climb up a rope. Having a bag in your secondary hand would mean you cant climb up.

A sheet rope cannot be climbed up. It can be climbed down to escape, but not back up. Can be pulled up at will. Guaranteed one time use, dangerous after continuous use.

A regular rope can be climbed up or down if both hands are free and your leg(s) aren't broken. Costs one rope per floor. Can be pulled up at will. Indefinite use.

A knotted rope can be climbed up or down if both hands are free and/or you have one one broken leg. Costs two ropes per floor instead of one. Can be pulled up at will. Indefinite use.

A rope ladder can be climbed up or down if at least one hand is free and you have only one broken leg. Two ropes + 8 sturdy sticks per floor. Can be pulled up at will. Indefinite use.

A wooden ladder can be climbed up or down if at least one hand is free and/or you have one broken leg, but it can not be pulled up to hide from other survivors. Indefinite use. 4 planks + 8 Sturdy Sticks per floor. Requires lvl 6 carpentry and is built from the carpentry context menu instead of the window context menu. 

No matter what, can never climb with both legs broken, need stairs to get up to the next floor.

Now obviously, single player without NPC survivors in the mix, the wooden ladder would be best, but when NPCs come around, you'd need to be careful how many openings you leave in your base.