Nerfing zombies' reaction to faraway sounds

Strelokk

Greetings fellow PZ Community

I know firearms are supposed to be loud AF, and Zeds should be attracted to sound. But I would like to be able to use firearms without aggroing half of the town ! Until now I have always used firearms to relocate zombies from one place to another, but never in the purpose of killing zombies. That's something that lacks to the game IMHO, especially with such an awesome mod as ORGM.

I have read topics regarding gun suppressors, and players as much as devs were vehemently against implementing suppressors. That's all right by me. But some people enjoy games differently than others ; while I love traveling through the land of Skyrim with tons of lore-friendly mods, adding realistic features, realistic combat system etc... some other people enjoy it by replacing dragons with cute pink flying pegasus ponies, replacing mighty Thu'um shouts with deadly farts, and many more. To each their own, heh ?

So my request is the following : could someone make a small mod to nerf zombies' hearing when it comes to gunshots ? Or maybe with the game's words : greatly reduce weapons' noise ?

Thank you very much in advance

Greetings fellow PZ Community

I know firearms are supposed to be loud AF, and Zeds should be attracted to sound. But I would like to be able to use firearms without aggroing half of the town ! Until now I have always used firearms to relocate zombies from one place to another, but never in the purpose of killing zombies. That's something that lacks to the game IMHO, especially with such an awesome mod as ORGM.

I have read topics regarding gun suppressors, and players as much as devs were vehemently against implementing suppressors. That's all right by me. But some people enjoy games differently than others ; while I love traveling through the land of Skyrim with tons of lore-friendly mods, adding realistic features, realistic combat system etc... some other people enjoy it by replacing dragons with cute pink flying pegasus ponies, replacing mighty Thu'um shouts with deadly farts, and many more. To each their own, heh ?

So my request is the following : could someone make a small mod to nerf zombies' hearing when it comes to gunshots ? Or maybe with the game's words : greatly reduce weapons' noise ?

Thank you very much in advance

Psh... I NEED SUPRESSORS. I hate how useless guns are ever since the xp overhaul. You have to have a character that specializes with them or they're useless (a strong opinion of mine that many disagree with). I've thought about supressors before. Making your own would be cool, or having them as an ULTRA rare find at Police Stations or Gun Stores. There are already pipes in the game, so why not make a really difficult recipe for creating a supressor? At least give us bows or the ability to throw knives (not realistic and bordering on hit-n-run zombie gameplay like other games, though, so maybe the knives would be a NO).

Point is, I constantly crave some way to kill zombies at range without attracting hundreds more. The devs have already shown that they encourage stealthy gameplay, so why not give us a way to stay quiet without being limited to melee? Give us the rare machete, or a collectable Katana or Machete or other blade in a nerd's man-cave alongside his other weird collectables, or give us a an even rarer bow or crossbow in a redneck's shed. Stealthy ranged combat is important to me, and that's one of the only combat features the game lacks.

Not rehashing suppressor discussions here: they're not happening. If you'd like to know why, please make use of the search function. Guns are useful when properly applied; you may simply need to adjust the way you play to find out how.

You decrease their follow sound distance in the Advanced dilaog box of Sandbox.

Thank you for the answers guys.

@BayCon : for the time being, I know there's crossbows in Hydrocraft. But they should be implemented in the core game sooner or later according to this topic.

@EnigmaGrey : thank you for the advice. But even with "follow sound distance" on the minimum setting, I still aggro tons of zeds...

I have found a temporary solution that may interest some people. Find the line "SoundRadius"in the weapon files and replace the value ( /3 seems to be a good alternative for my tastes)

I'd like the sandbox option of them ignoring gunshots and alarms and such.

It could possibly make sense.

They would only be listening for frequencies humans make, such as that of a human voice, scream, or breath.

It could be an explanation why they will stand still even with birds chirping, and why they don't freak out during thunderstorms.

Or you know, a suppressor mod.

OR, devs, a compromise would be let us forage for rocks anywhere and be able to collect hundreds, and throw the rocks to distract zombies. Or throw them reallly hard at a zombie's head, it'll sap stamina really quick, but with big enough rocks it would work.

• 1 month later...
Or you know, a suppressor mod.

I am actually working on a weapons mod that will add bows, crossbows, etc... silent weapons aswell as another mod called Real Guns.

The Real Guns mod would include silencers that are realistic and can still be heard within a reasonable distance.