Strategies For Creating Items and Textures

Allen

Just got into the world of modding, and after fixing a stupid mistake (holding me back four days) on buildinged, I finally figured out that there are not enough exterior or interior textures for the houses in the game. I would like to know if anybody has any sort of suggestions on how to make these textures (I use GIMP) and if there are any tutorials out there.

I just find that replacing other spritesheets pixel-by-pixel with other colors just won't cut it (unless its the only way!)

-Allen

EDIT: If any of you guys have any tilesets you can direct me to, that'd be great as well!

I didn't watch the video up there but assuming it helps. Also just practice practice practice. I don't really have a tutorials for you, sorry, but if ever want feedback on your art, post it on the forums and ask for it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be more than happy to help you out, including myself :)

Hmm can give you a loooong and dirty tutorial but i think its realy just trainig and learning by doing.

Just look at stuff around you. Then take one easy like a can or a bottle and make the outlines (i take most the darkest main coler of the item ... not really black but very dark) ... then imagine a lightsource somewhere. Imagine the reflections on the item. Take the maincolor and fill the Item with it. Then (i use MS Paint) make the color a little bit brighter and go on to the brightest spot. Same with the shadow parts of an Item.

Start with simple things. Dont matter if usefull or not .. just to train your skills.

if you want to make a larger Item in 32 x 32 pix think about perspective tricks. Make the part of the item in the back a little bit smaller and in front a little bit larger ...

Start to drawing as hobby ... will help to understand this.

Remember ... large Items dont have dark outlines. Small Items (32 x 32) looks better with dark outlines.

Edfges are mostly brighter then the rest ... so when you make a large Item start with a bright color (imagine the lightsource) and work on to the darker spots (or start with dark to bright).

Like i say i just use MS Paint (Gimp only to remove the white background or sometimes to shrink a texture)

Some more blablabla ...

The easiest way is (in my oppinion) to look at an Item in reality and pixel it in your mind.

More bla ...

Thats all.

;)

Hmm can give you a loooong and dirty tutorial but i think its realy just trainig and learning by doing.

Just look at stuff around you. Then take one easy like a can or a bottle and make the outlines (i take most the darkest main coler of the item ... not really black but very dark) ... then imagine a lightsource somewhere. Imagine the reflections on the item. Take the maincolor and fill the Item with it. Then (i use MS Paint) make the color a little bit brighter and go on to the brightest spot. Same with the shadow parts of an Item.

Start with simple things. Dont matter if usefull or not .. just to train your skills.

if you want to make a larger Item in 32 x 32 pix think about perspective tricks. Make the part of the item in the back a little bit smaller and in front a little bit larger ...

Start to drawing as hobby ... will help to understand this.

Remember ... large Items dont have dark outlines. Small Items (32 x 32) looks better with dark outlines.

Edfges are mostly brighter then the rest ... so when you make a large Item start with a bright color (imagine the lightsource) and work on to the darker spots (or start with dark to bright).

Like i say i just use MS Paint (Gimp only to remove the white background or sometimes to shrink a texture)

Some more blablabla ...

The easiest way is (in my oppinion) to look at an Item in reality and pixel it in your mind.

More bla ...

Thats all.

;)

Listen this guy ! He is best teacher about pixel art i could have :)  8-)