Clouds creating moving dark shadows on ground

isakron

Hey,

It could make the game play more immersive if the screen/ground got shadowed by moving clouds during rainy days. I'm thinking sort of like how the fog-of-war looks, but of course not as dark and a lot softer.

Another thing: when the new animations set in, is it possible to have the character cast a somewhat realistic shadow? Probably not, but I was thinking a shadow that stretches out due to the sun's position on clear and sunny evenings. I now realize that it could be hard to get that right when the character is walking or standing next to, say, a wall (because the shadow should respond to and deform on surfaces).

By the way, I absolutely love this game, especially after the heightened difficulty on survival, and interesting story on the tv's and radio!

Thanks!

/ The shadow proclamation

Not because it's bad idea, but because i just don't care about shadows in games (well... i even disable them to get extra fps. Shadows are REALLY fps hungry), and i don't like clouds shadows - it feels so unnatural for me to have shadows of clouds.

Like, it's even a thing? Sure, it's darker when it's raining etc. but there is no such thing as shadow of clouds (like literally, where every cloud make shadow on the ground that you can easily see, i remember such thing from some games).

-1 Not because it's bad idea, but because i just don't care about shadows in games (well... i even disable them to get extra fps. Shadows are REALLY fps hungry), and i don't like clouds shadows - it feels so unnatural for me to have shadows of clouds. Like, it's even a thing? Sure, it's darker when it's raining etc. but there is no such thing as shadow of clouds (like literally, where every cloud make shadow on the ground that you can easily see, i remember such thing from some games).

Clouds DO have a shadow yes, just not as dark as a solid object and that's what Isakron meant.

I like this, but playing with lighting is a huge coding pain as understand it. Most games out there have lighting (and therefor shadows) handled by the engine, so they get it right once and then they can re-use it in all future games. TIS is making their own engine, and there's a lot of features yet to be implemented that I really really want (ie: dragons!).

Would make for a great post-release feature tho. Or maybe I've got my head up my butt and it's actually and easy fix, if so +1 for shadows right away! :D

Mind you, if we stick with cloud shadows only to start with, that can probably be done very easily since it doesn't have to be very dynamic, and we'd get a little bit more immersion.

-1 Not because it's bad idea, but because i just don't care about shadows in games (well... i even disable them to get extra fps. Shadows are REALLY fps hungry), and i don't like clouds shadows - it feels so unnatural for me to have shadows of clouds. Like, it's even a thing? Sure, it's darker when it's raining etc. but there is no such thing as shadow of clouds (like literally, where every cloud make shadow on the ground that you can easily see, i remember such thing from some games).

https://www.google.com/search?q=cloud+shadows&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijnKW5_K7JAhWCGz4KHc_cD1oQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=640

The problem is nothing else in the game has a a shadow, so it'd just be a flat "cloud shaped" texture. The way I imagine it, anyway, it'd look . . . not good.

May vary the lighting to suggest clouds passing overhead the player, similar to how the moon's brightness is taken into account for nights, currenty?

I know that clouds have shadows. It's obvious. And i said that "it's darker when it's raining" (so when clouds are full of water etc. they have more "visible" shadows). I'm just saying that clouds don't have solid shadows - they aren't solid objects. They are gases so you will need both small (if cloud will be too big you probably won't even realize you're in that cloud shadow) and dense cloud to see cloud shadow on the flat ground (not from the mountain or something, like on these pics).