Hearing protectors and Hearing Aids

thedaringpastry

Two ideas I had for the game, One would be varying types of hearing protectors. 

You would use the hearing protectors while indoors and safe from the infected, but you could still hear them moaning outside.

Having the hearing protectors on would lower the rate you get nervous from hearing zombie noises, maybe even negating it if they are good enough. As a downside you wouldn't be able to hear as well. So if a zombie starts pounding on your bed room door, you'd be pretty screwed. 

The second idea would be Hearing Aids. These would be used to increase the sound you can hear. (probably just increase perception?). I couldn't think of a downside for this besides them needing really specific batteries, making them a kind of delicacy. 

I already posted this in the old thread about hearing aides, but most people would likely be wearing theirs. They also take very specific batteries... and they also don't really work like that. If you could just plug in hearing aides to have superhuman hearing, everyone would use them. That's not how it goes XD

I have a suggestion that I'll add here because it's sorta related.

Why wouldn't the survivors eventually get used to seeing the undead/infected? As in after a while they wouldn't get extremely panicked every time they encountered them. Like anything in life, after doing it over and over, you get used to it. Like the first time you ride a roller coaster you're terrified, but after doing it a bunch of times you don't even get nervous. That same principle should apply here.

I already posted this in the old thread about hearing aides, but most people would likely be wearing theirs. They also take very specific batteries... and they also don't really work like that. If you could just plug in hearing aides to have superhuman hearing, everyone would use them. That's not how it goes XD

This is true, that most people would already be wearing theirs, but you should be able to find them off of dead zombies (kind of an oxymoron.. dead zombies) especially zombies that have grey hair. This all, assuming it's added to the game.

maybe what they can do to make it realistic, is when you add traits in the beginning, you could add "Hard of hearing" and getting a hearing aid would fix that. Idk.

Yeah I also think that you would never get used to seeing your friends and neighbours being dead and wanting to eat your brains.

Not sure what the devs stance on it is, but sooner or later there will be a mod that handles that ;)

EDIT:

Bringing this back on topic. I recently watched a report where they said that a majority of people don't use their hearing aids because they don't work as intended, so you have lots of unused hearing aids lying around everywhere :D

About the ear plugs I'd say that it would panic me even more. Just imagine lying in bed and not even realising that they are breaking through your windows :)

Actually decreasing fear of zombies is either already in or planned. I know Lemmy mentioned it several times in the past. (By the way, this is pretty far off topic so let's try to keep it on the original topic, please)

If the hearing aides were on zombies, though, they'd almost certainly be damaged, gotten wet, gotten crushed when people were dealing blunt force trauma to the brain area, etc. etc. Just doesn't seem like it's remotely worth while to add for the small benefit and tiny chance of it being viable.

I guess everyone is different. The fear of spiders that never goes away is arachnophobia. I'm not saying peoples PHOBIA's go away, as I have my own phobia's that won't change. But regular fears, things that are part of your every day life, you get used to them.

Take driving for example. It's extremely dangerous and kills thousands of people every year. When we start driving we're usually afraid, but we do it, and as time goes on, we get used to it.

Again, just my two cents, but that's the reality of things for me, and most people I know. Not a game breaker of course.

Why wouldn't the survivors eventually get used to seeing the undead/infected? As in after a while they wouldn't get extremely panicked every time they encountered them. Like anything in life, after doing it over and over, you get used to it. Like the first time you ride a roller coaster you're terrified, but after doing it a bunch of times you don't even get nervous. That same principle should apply here.

This :P

Might actually be a skill and a trait in it :) Call it "Cool", the higher you level it, the less affected you are by the undead. And then a cool trait that lets you start the game with +1 in that skill. Similar to how gracefull affects stealth.

Like I said, Lemmy already wants to do this in the game. Please keep the thread on topic- that shouldn't really have been brought up in this almost completely unrelated thread, and if it continues I'm gonna have to lock her up. Don't make me do that!  :eek: