What can we expect to have in Build 34?

blackteapie

Tacos.

Noice, i will make a taco stand.

Is it OK for developers giving us some hints about Build 34's content?

Creative Mode?

What else?

So far we know that animations are coming in, creative mode is going to be in this build 33.

Also we might get new clothes i think along side backpacks showing up in the back? (that is included in the animation update), so clothing, animations, sneaking system revamp maybe? or some combat revamp? 

Tacos.

Creative Mode?

What else?

So far we know that animations are coming in, creative mode is going to be in this build 33.

Also we might get new clothes i think along side backpacks showing up in the back? (that is included in the animation update), so clothing, animations, sneaking system revamp maybe? or some combat revamp? 

sneaking system revamp? Is there any detail on this?

I think that was tied in the animations so yep. I'd be hoping for peeking around corners, but I'll be happy enough to see more depth to combat animations and gun-play. Currently you just refine your timing and every kill is one in the same for melee or guns. To some degree id love to see you have to adapt to changing situations. Perhaps having a fast and a slow melee attack or an attack for single targets and one for multiple etc. I really think combat should be the most challenging part of the game but currently if you can kill 1 you can kill them all frankly.

Tacos.

Creative Mode?

What else?

Here is a sneak peek video from a mondoid, It shows some of the new animations. I think that there might've been another one that shows more of the sneaking stuff, but I can't find it right now.

Tacos.

Creative Mode?

What else?

Here is a sneak peek video from a mondoid, It shows some of the new animations. I think that there might've been another one that shows more of the sneaking stuff, but I can't find it right now.

thanks

• 1 month later...

So creative didn't make it into build 33, does this mean build 34 will have both creative and the new animation system or only 1 of the 2?

From a previous Mondoid:

At the moment we’re continuing to work toward getting Creative into build 33 and still have a few more bits and bobs to do on it. There is, however, a noticeable complication that could have an impact on exactly when we release it.

The complication, which is a pleasant one in the scheme of things, is that once Creative is released and people are building their schools, offices and hometowns – they’ll want and expect their creations to survive in all future builds.

There is, however, an impending development we’re making which will make a pretty huge visual change to the game – something we’ve mentioned before in Mondoids as ‘Mash’s Secret Mission’.

When it emerges there will be a dilemma, as a part of it has involved a lot of organizational changes which will likely result in save incompatibilities. If it’s necessary then we’ll provide the previous build for legacy saves, but that won’t help in Creative Mode where people who’ve been conducting huge building projects could suddenly find their architectural prowess nuked from orbit.

So this leaves us in a tricky position: release Creative into the current Build 33 with peoples’ buildings under threat in the near future, or introduce Creative Mode simultaneously with Mash’s Secret Mission in a reframed Build 34? Increasingly we’re leaning towards the latter option, which (hopefully) would go into public testing once final hurdles have been vaulted – and not long after the existing Build 33 goes fully live. This testing may be in the form of an official 34 IWBUMS, or it could potentially have its own branch as our early MP builds did.

[On top of this there’s also the consideration that the more stable Build 33’s TV/Radio/FMod/etc become, the closer to public release it feels – and it feels counterintuitive to suddenly pile in a shedload of new Creative bugs.]

In short then, whichever way it happens, Creative will be coming as soon as it’s ready AND player creations can last for years. If it so happens that everything that’s currently in Build 33 is stable and ready for wider public consumption then there’s no point in keeping it in IWBUMS, and then (given that it’s predominantly separate members of the team working on it) we can get this reframed Build 34 into public testing fairly soon afterwards.

Given the long wait for the Build 33 IWBUMS this probably wouldn’t be a bad thing and, even though we’d be slotting an extra build in beforehand, it shouldn’t really get too much in the way of the animation/combat update that would now come in 35. What with Creative, the Secret Mission, General Arcade’s MP improvements, the new Animation system and everything beyond all lining up it should make for some exciting times as we move into next year."

Animation will likely be build 35 - HOWEVER this is not because animation is coming any later than it would normally, just due to Creative's bumping from 33 it means there's going to be an extra release inbetween now and the animation release. If, somehow, animation was ready to go before Creative, however, it would be the other way around and animation would be 34 and creative would be 35. The version numbers are all completely meaningless and nebulous thing really and only there to give some kind of sequential ordering to releases of the game. The concept of builds could be totally erased from development and it wouldn't remotely change when these features appeared to the public.

Having numbered builds is a pain in the ass really in Early Access, since it doesn't mirror how the features are developed at all. Builds are 'there's enough finished to call a release', they aren't themed and contain an esoteric mix of 'what the various devs have finished in the interim' (that's 'finished', not actual work done), we don't release purely bug fix builds all the time as major numbered builds and want enough in each release to play with, and we don't put stuff into the main branch that's unfinished. This is the only science of what makes a 'build'. A build coming out without Creative implies that creative is coming later than it would have, and if creative is released before animations (which is certain) it'll imply that animations have been cast aside from build 34, when in reality it's just as simple as 'X is done, Y is done, Z isn't done yet'. We all have our own (sometimes multiple) branches of the game that contain a ton of work that's never appeared in a public release, and its a concious choice to merge those features into the 'master' build that's used for releases, and the only factor that determines when that happens is 'when its ready', so while it's understandable people use version numbers as a metric for stuff being done it has nothing at all to do with it.

In short, builds will be INVENTED to house features like creative and animations, since they are significant enough features to make builds revolve around them. As soon as they are ready, they will be IWBUMs tested with 'whatever the last release was + 1' version number. Simple as that. 

Likewise, we have co op features being coded at this time by an external company, and as soon as that's ready to go we'll do an IWBUMs for it, and likely release it as a build 33.5. Again, it's all meaningless diplomacy on our part, I'd like to just call it build 34, but if we did people will say 'I thought build 34 would have creative?!? You've already delayed it from build 33 and now it's not in 34 either?! Does this mean animations won't come until build 36?!?!', when in reality it's just a case of the co op stuff being finished and us wanting you all to have it, and nothing at all to do with creative, animations or anything else's development. We've in essence released extra stuff and then some react really negatively to it because it pushes the version number of a feature they are waiting for upward. This is why we ended up getting in such a knot with version numbers in the past, if anyone remembers the 0.2.0 RC2.9 days... people put so much stock in version numbers as being intrinsically tied to features, and we kept getting pressured into more and more minor version numbers to place in between stuff so we could honour our original estimates (another factor in our no ETA policy). We're doing the same with the co op stuff as we did the steam integration stuff in build 31/32 (i forget which).

Fact is if we DID revolve our releases around versions like people assume we do, we'd be holding co op, moving furniture, TV and radio, FMOD, herbalism and everything back from people purely just so we could stick to our initial plans of releasing Creative in a specific build number and avoid a few neg reviews or grouchy comments. Obviously this would be a shitty thing to do, but then doing the right thing and releasing everything we feel is ready to be out there gets us stick from people waiting for specific features. :P that's not to mention obviously the thing any game developer wants more than anything is their work to be finished and out there being enjoyed, it's not like releasing this stuff would be contrary to our own wishes. But stirring buggy unfinished stuff into the pot of a currently in-testing version would set the dial back on it weeks, potentially months, for the non IWBUMers and that's not fair to them, we need to draw a line in the sand during IWBUMs and call it a day on a build or we'd never release anything to the main branch as IWBUMs would always be getting set back in stability from new features and bugs being mixed into it.

It'll all come. :)