Survival or sandbox?

WormFarmer

I've played Survival so far, just getting used to the game, but it just doesn't feel right.

"Hurr durr only survival, I'm hardcore.  Noobs play sandbox."

I just feel like it's a joke how you can loot one house in an hour (talking in ingame time) and then have to spend the rest of the day managing your inventory. You can't even queue up orders while the game is paused...

Grab things. Pack things. Go home. Unpack. Put into the right container.

It's just a joke. Grabbing a sheet from my tote bag takes 3-4 minutes? No sir. Okay. Maybe if you want to fold it to it takes up less space.

But a gun? I just take it, and drop it in. It doesn't have to take forever.

Or do you take the gun apart to small pieces so you can fit it in the bag in the most optimized way so it takes the least possible space while leaving more room for other items that you want to place into the bag? And them reassemble it when you take it out?

Grabbing 5 planks off a shelf takes half an hour. What?! Are we even folding planks now?

I just feel like the basic Survival mode 1 hour day-night cycle is too short, and other actions in the game don't scale realistically with it.

I will switch to Sandbox, hopefully things will work out better there. I don't know how actions scale with day length, or if they do at all...

Edit: I do not plan on changing anything other than the day length, which is in my opinion horrible in survival mode.

*snip*

The actions you do aren't actually tied to the game time as much as to real time (and no, I don't think they scale with the time frame). When you take the five planks from the shelf and stuff them in your bag of course it will take time to open the bag and place them there one by one. If you take the survival time frame, you're gonna take a full day to walk from one end of the town to the other and that isn't so realistic either. The time frame is just meant to be a bit gamey and of course it's not realistic (After all it's not very realistic to have a 1 hour day...). That's why there is a sandbox option to change it...

And no sandbox isn't for newbs either. It's meant for your personal preference. Whether you want to make it harder or easier is up to you. It's just that the survival is how the devs like the game to be working and also to compromise with the majority of players and a compromise never pleases all. Hence sandbox.

Also we're alpha so there's bound to be some tweaking.

As for me I started with sandbox with slower zombies (to get to know the game) and a lot longer time frame coz' I like the immersion that brings. I think immersion is the main point of any game and is often mixed up with realism. You can have some things not necessarily realistic but still immersive. Now I've moved to survival because I felt it works a bit better in the gamey sense. It's just a bit more fun for me, because you always have to think a bit more ahead than with the longer time frame. When I have more time and the game gets a bit more stable with the horde movement etc, I'll probably go back to a longer day/night cycle and just try to immerse myself to the game.

PS. Welcome to the forums! (clyde)

We're talking about a game where you can put several wood planks in a schoolbag, if you wanna go realistic on it, good luck.

I've played Survival so far, just getting used to the game, but it just doesn't feel right.

"Hurr durr only survival, I'm hardcore.  Noobs play sandbox."

I just feel like it's a joke how you can loot one house in an hour (talking in ingame time) and then have to spend the rest of the day managing your inventory. You can't even queue up orders while the game is paused...

Grab things. Pack things. Go home. Unpack. Put into the right container.

It's just a joke. Grabbing a sheet from my tote bag takes 3-4 minutes? No sir. Okay. Maybe if you want to fold it to it takes up less space.

But a gun? I just take it, and drop it in. It doesn't have to take forever.

Or do you take the gun apart to small pieces so you can fit it in the bag in the most optimized way so it takes the least possible space while leaving more room for other items that you want to place into the bag? And them reassemble it when you take it out?

Grabbing 5 planks off a shelf takes half an hour. What?! Are we even folding planks now?

I just feel like the basic Survival mode 1 hour day-night cycle is too short, and other actions in the game don't scale realistically with it.

I will switch to Sandbox, hopefully things will work out better there. I don't know how actions scale with day length, or if they do at all...

Edit: I do not plan on changing anything other than the day length, which is in my opinion horrible in survival mode.

We're talking about a game where you can put several wood planks in a schoolbag, if you wanna go realistic on it, good luck.

You can put them in the bag and leave the top open. So the bag bears the weight. Just because something is in a bag doesn't mean it's totally INSIDE the bag.