Rescue Helicopters / Hum-drumvee's / Lorries etc

Strider

Now before anyone jumps in and tells me that TIS have added the possibility of rescue to the 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS' list, yeah, I know about this. Right, now that that's out of the way.

The idea in brief

Vehicles / bases placed into the game with soldiers / armed civilians guarding them implying rescue which are there to make the player think they're going to be rescued but are in fact traps.

The idea de-briefed

In zombie books and film there are often set-pieces where the protagonist thinks they've reached a safe house / bunker / army base / army humvee / army helicopter only to find that the zombies found it first and they likes themselves some tasty brains.

So here is an example scenario.

* A player hears a radio broadcast

* The broadcast offers the player sanctuary, food, medicine etc

* The broadcast tells them where the base is

* When the player gets there rests in the base for (x amount of days) this triggers a mini (or perhaps not so mini hoard of zombies and if the player isn't quick to think and react they get trapped and killed.

You could put something in the base as an incentive for the player to find them. MRE's, medicine, weapons in small quantities because the players are (sooner or later) going to twig that these are all traps.

One last point. I would imagine this would have to be post-NPC development as I would think to make this believable you'd need to have NPC's there. I would think.

As ever, just throwing ideas around so if you want to leave feedback feel free to do so just be gentle, k?

I kind of like the idea of an NPC group set piece like this. Make it a possible model for an NPC group early on where a bunch of NPCs are getting together a number of vehicles and supplies and are gonna try and run the quarantine barricade to get out. If the player catches them early enough they can get in on the action. Once the group starts the mission it cuts out to the aftermath. A large portion of the group is dead, most of the supplies and vehicles were lost and everyone is desperately trying to find somewhere to bunker down and lick their wounds. Then you gotta deal with the emotional fallout where the established order of the group is gone and everyone is trying to figure out what to do now. Maybe the leader died and everyone is separating into factions based on who is gonna lead next. Maybe the leader didn't die and there's some massive tension going on where a lot of the survivors are blaming him/her for the failure and subsequent loss of life with attendant supporters and detractors. All the while they're dealing with the emotional turmoil of losing loved ones and the elation/despair of having come so close to death they brushed up against it.

As far as things go I figure this could make for an interesting potential story arc.

I'm not too big of a fan of a military presence, if only because it would make the sense of seclusion and loneliness a little less effective.

From what i read the Military are sooner or later going rouge or something like that.

So at first i guess we will have Military trying to contain everything and shooting everyone who tries to escape, then we will have military NPCs who are just trying to survive. 

I'm not too big of a fan of a military presence, if only because it would make the sense of seclusion and loneliness a little less effective.

From what i read the Military are sooner or later going rouge or something like that.

So at first i guess we will have Military trying to contain everything and shooting everyone who tries to escape, then we will have military NPCs who are just trying to survive. 

yeah, i think i read somewhere that its been tossed around that the military will be a secondary antagonist in the beginning

I've always thought that important political buildings like the Town Hall and Police Station should have preset military/police garrisons to start with, and with the infinite zombie population will most definitely run out of ammo or be overwhelmed somehow. Less premade missions, more eventual demise. Would be nice to see a barricade of police cars crates and sandbags manned in shifts, growing more crude as the horde keeps on, eventually toppling. 

In response to OP's post, the idea of a pre-scripted mission sequence might work, but would take away from the sandbox-ey feeling of the game.

totally like the idea of faux rescue trasmissions that lead the player to places over run by zombies, but perhaps this could also be a random replenishment source as one could find the location and scavenge the wreckage.  Random overrun police barricades would also be cool.