Butcher Bird

Strider

So I'm playing a play through in the cabin in the woods (Mul) and I've placed a few traps but it's only now I realize I don't have a knife to butcher the bird. So now I can't have my stew.

Is there anything I can use as a substitue. To my knowledge, you can't make a knife from foraged items although I would think if you can make a foraged axe a foraged knife should be possible too.

Unfortunately, kitchen knife and hunting knife are your only 2 options. I recommend getting a kitchen knife, because if I recall there are a few quirky recipes that can only use a kitchen knife because they forgot to add hunting knife as an option.

Unfortunately, kitchen knife and hunting knife are your only 2 options. I recommend getting a kitchen knife, because if I recall there are a few quirky recipes that can only use a kitchen knife because they forgot to add hunting knife as an option.

Thanks Moose

Should be able to butcher with a sharp/chipped stone.

I thought that too.

I hope I didn't just go on a mission risking life and limb when I could've just used a chipped stone.

Edit: Even though it's stupid o'clock I felt the power of Christ compel me to check if it works or not. I couldn't. I assume you use it just like a knife. Put the knife and the dead bird in your inventory and then right click on the bird and you get the option to butcher like you would if you have a knife.

So either this is broken with the advent of build 33 or it was never implemented.

Have you done this yourself with a chipped stone?

Its not broken, the recipe simply never had chipped stone as an option.

recipe Butcher Bird
    {
        keep KitchenKnife/HuntingKnife,
        DeadBird,

Result:Smallbirdmeat,
        Sound:PZ_FoodSwoosh,
        Time:50.0,
        OnCreate:CutAnimal_OnCreate,
        Category:Cooking,
    }

Consider that chipped stone might only mean a stone obtuse enough to be used an axe (thus not very sharp at all).

But its sharp enough to cut wooden spears. I think some of the older recipes might have simply not been updated, like how some require a kitchen knife and can't use a hunting knife.

Consider that chipped stone might only mean a stone obtuse enough to be used an axe (thus not very sharp at all).

But its sharp enough to cut wooden spears. I think some of the older recipes might have simply not been updated, like how some require a kitchen knife and can't use a hunting knife.

Well, there goes my theory.

I'd like to see flint knapping being unlocked with a high enough survival to make a flint knife

Aye, that's really what I want to see.

Yeah, I would like to see chipped stones eventually being made into a stone knife (so you can't make wooden spears right off the bat....well sorta, you'd need to loot a kitchen knife if you didn't want to forage).

Also, still waiting for when we can get a twine and stick replacement for making stick traps, I really want to see foraging able to unlock basic trapping like it does with fishing.

Also, still waiting for when we can get a twine and stick replacement for making stick traps, I really want to see foraging able to unlock basic trapping like it does with fishing.

What do you mean Moose. I've a feeling I've misunderstood because stick traps can me made now?

Also thanks for the comments, I'm going to see if I can alter my own game to include chipped stone for butchery.

Also, can't be done through the crafting menu: http://imgur.com/sBEPzeg

Its not broken, the recipe simply never had chipped stone as an option.

recipe Butcher Bird

{

keep KitchenKnife/HuntingKnife,

DeadBird,

Result:Smallbirdmeat,

Sound:PZ_FoodSwoosh,

Time:50.0,

OnCreate:CutAnimal_OnCreate,

Category:Cooking,

}

Moose. Were do I find this so I can edit it to include chipped stone?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, thanks anyway.

Sorry I took so long to respond, its the recipes lua.

You've nothing to apologise for although I do appreciate the fine manners.

Also, you can make stick traps, you simply can't make them from anything from foraging right now.

Right, that's the distinction I wasn't aware of. As it turns out, I have a saw in this playthrough which is a strike of luck.

Yup, if tree branches could substitute for sticks, and if a substitute for twine was implemented via foraging (perhaps something like kudzu at some level in foraging, since there are a few empty levels that could use some love :D), and voila! A stick trap made through foraging.

Yup, if tree branches could substitute for sticks, and if a substitute for twine was implemented via foraging (perhaps something like kudzu at some level in foraging, since there are a few empty levels that could use some love :D), and voila! A stick trap made through foraging.

I see, makes sense.

I know about the twine. Normally people would use ripped sheets + logs to make walls but I had been using twine as I was finding a lot of grass. My problem was finding chipped stones which appear to have been 'nerfed'

Tree branch + ripped sheets/thread/rope for a trap would be just as easy to achieve as foraging.

Often the point isn't to make it easier but to make it so it's sustainable and 'free'

By sustainable I mean that all of the required components can be readily found by foraging and will not run out.

By free I mean there is no real risk involved as you don't need to kill any Z's.

Sorry If I didn't explain myself very well. In many ways I'm a terrible communicator.

Gotcha. Though, if it's not meant to be easier, shouldn't there be some risk involved?

May I ask, have you tried both play styles?

Play style #1 - Live in the city

A high risk strategy due to the number of zombies, the advantage being you have easier access to tools, weapons food and medication.

Play style #2 - Live in the woods

A low(er) risk strategy due to there being less zombies but the trade off being that all the aforementioned items are far out of reach.

The other trade off I've found is TIS have taken care to severely limited the effectiveness of items foraged. Food is generally less nutritious than food found in houses not to mention a lot of it will require cooking first. Weapons and tools like the crafted axe are can only make it through 1 & 1/2 trees before they're broken and need to be replaced or repaired.

I do apologise if you know most of this already. I hope I've filled in some blanks anyway.

I suspect there is a whole subsection of players who haven't even tried the 2nd play style.

I recently finished a play through on what I flamboyantly called 'Super Insane' where I upped the Z count as high as I could. Forum link here.

It forced me into playing a woodland play style and I've learnt a lot of things I don't think I would have otherwise.

Sorry for rambling on. I've just finished an enjoyable game playing this way and I feel compelled to talk about it.

Gotcha. Though, if it's not meant to be easier, shouldn't there be some risk involved?

They could easily lock kudzu (the twine replacement) behind one of the empty foraging levels like 5 or something. Still requires effort or point investment to reach that level, while giving you a sustainable way of building stick traps.

Easier may have been a poor term, I think investment would have been more appropriate.

• 1 month later...

Could also genericize it to Plant Fiber like some other games I've played.

But yeah, "the player will find it very hard to live beyond a year" doesn't make an excuse for "once you run out the supplies it'll be impossible." You can't jerk meat (make jerky, pervert), you can't make your own vinegar (or grow sugarcane/sugar beets) so Canned Vegetables are an afterthought, you can't make jam from fruit, you can't make your own flour-the game is made with the assumption you will fail, and therefore no provisions are made for success. It's a bit annoying.

Archived