do you guys think survival is too hard?

Slashnine

Hello fellow survivor!

I been playing project zomboid for a long time and I mastered the old survival mode and started to play my solo game on insane difficulty in sandbox, but...

wow the new survival mode is harder than insane difficulty. Just because of 1 simple reason, zombie are way too mobile ... they never stop running. They run in every direction and form huge herd so quickly.

What do you thing guys?

Dont get me wrong the game is fantastic and I love the new super hard survival mode but I feel a little bit cheated by zombie new weird behavior ;)

Build 33 is AWESOME keep the good work ! <3 <3 <3

68712c90db511c755dac29c08192a3ca1c4790bf

I agree that survival is extremely hard.  I really like that the zombies like to wander and are less stationary, but it also makes the game incredibly difficult combine with the massive zombie population.  I find that looting a single house feels like a great accomplishment.  The only way to survive it seems is to get out of town as soon as possible.  Most of the time when I just start out on survival I am being chased by zombies from the second I leave my spawn house till the second I die unless I get out of town, or get extremely lucky and get into a building away from zombies.  It might be time to come up with new zomboid survival strategies.

Just because of 1 simple reason, zombie are way too mobile ... they never stop running. They run in every direction and form huge herd so quickly.

Well in the days of the very old pre-alpha demo, the zombies didnt had a "Idle" animation, so they kept roaming around like mindless..zombies i guess.

Playing around 20 minutes into the build made me realize how fucked you can be if you don't hide, i like it but there is something really wrong with the sound system right now, you cant hear when zombies bang on something and sounds are all over the place.

When they fix that i will give it a thought out feedback about the whole thing.

But as it stands right now, i got rekt 3 days into Survival and i survived 14 days in Initial infection, i say that they are doing something right.

I don't find survival to be much of a challenge. There's plenty of resources everywhere, you start in summer (farming, foraging), there are fruits and vegies in almost every fridge for you to much on your way. There are not that many zombies as well. The only thing that makes it difficult is zombie respawn and migration (as any other mode).

I also use a bunch of mods so maybe my experience is biased:

- weapon nerf
- second hand loots
- craftable and sharpen axes

just to name the most influential.

survival mode is just different post build 32. If you find key items fast and they set up a base in the woods, then you can survive quite a long time.

For those like me, that like to set up in town the new survival mode is brutal. whenever you leave your base and go for a loot run, you have to clear a lot of zeds on your way back.

You just have to adapt.

btw i have yet to try a new build.

Snip

That's basically my impression as well after approximately the same testing time (3 hours). 

Survival mode difficulty has been buffed considerably, although I think part of this boost may be due to bugs in the sound even system and zombie behaviour, so let's wait and see :)

snip snip snip

Try Build 33 survival then. Zombies are everywhere now! Pretty much the only thing you can do is get lucky on starting house loot, maybe run through a couple of houses and loot them with a horde chasing you and then go into the woods and live off the land (If you find a Trovel that is, and a saw or else you die of dehydration eventually unless you're in west point)

Second Hand Loots was integrated into the game by the way.

I find most of the changes will have a drastic different feeling when NPCs are in, especially the difficulty, surviving on your own now is next to impossible unless you literally don't move after you spawn. Either you get lucky and they leave after a few days or you die.

I got my 300 hours worth of fun gameplay in survival, and multiplayer. Now it's just waiting for NPCs for me to get back into the game. And hoping that they can survive the early horde, the current zombies just need chaos and more characters against them for them to spread out more realistically from gunfire and people running away. Then it should be at least possible to survive for more than 2 hours.

Maybe I'm just not used to it and it is possible. Anyone survived for more than a week in this build?

Survival is meant to be hard, every time someone survives for too long in survival the devs make it harder.

By the time PZ is 1.0 when you start survival you'll just spawn dead.

LOL! I love how the survival is super hard. It's realistic. Your average person cannot survive long in a world filled with an infectious disease where one bite or scratch can potentially kill you. That on top of taking care of your basic needs can put most people in the ground within the first month if it were a real apocalypse.

Also, it tests your skills as a gamer and makes you push yourself to be extra cautious so you can have bragging rights for surviving a single month in the revamped "Survival" mode. When my brother and I play these days , we can hardly get past day 2 together, but I had an old save (still ongoing) with a character 4 months under his belt from playing solo.

Every few builds will force a tactics change. One thing I would like to see is having the TV turned off on all spawn points. Having to open the door and run is just crazy. However maybe that is how it should be now and again.

I dunno I think it's ok in build 33.

I played with pinpoint hearing zombies for quite a while in build 32 (poor sight).  That actually made it much tougher.  You even push a zombie and watch as they come at you from as far as you can see.

So being I got used to that, I feel like they are deaf on Survival mode, I can sneak past everything and even kill a zombie within a screen's distance of another without attracting them :)

Still only lasted 6 days though so far, getting used to the limits not using the Weapon Nerf mod which I only recently removed (I don't think it's needed since Survival got its last buff anyway).

Look forward to another go later.

Im on my 8th try. Best so far has been 3 days. Currently I've got my bags , hammer ,saw and sledge. Made it to House by lake in WP.

As others say. Its about grab and run now. Sadly I must go back to the shopping district to go to hardware store. Wish me luck.

Hi all, first post here, not new to the game though! Been playing since build 27.

Personally I have found most new builds to be harder each time, this one bein no exception. Hard as hell, but really helps to force you into the right habits, ie planning ahead, making sure you have an escape route, taking things slowly unless you have no other choice... zeds are everywhere, often in groups large enough to mean you have to avoid them, and they seem to stay on to you longer/further. As others say, it makes looting a house feel rewarding, when I looted the hardware store and barely made it back alive it felt great! Died soon after though but at least you learn a lot faster :)

My best run has been 7 days to date. I think its all down to how lucky and quick your start is.

Can anyone suggest a map that's easier than the rest at present v33 ?

I would be happy to discover what tips people have or a strategy. Rather than run in house ,search ,zombies in and you run and repeat.

Not had much time to play build 33 survival yet but what I have played has been some of the most fun I've had on single player. I'm still on my first try and only 6 in game days in but I've had more fun and excitement in those 6 days than in my last 6 month game.

I've simply been moving around the outskirts of Muld, looting what ever I can. Losing any followers in the woods and only fighting when I have to. The main thing I have found is you really need to plan ahead to get a house safe for the night. I have only survived so far by rearranging furniture and having a sheet rope ready. Almost every morning I have had to flee my home.

I'm really enjoying it, although I might change my mind after playing for longer. I guess they call it hardcore for a reason :P

I don't know how much it resembles the opinions of the people who are making this game, but often people say on this forum that any addition that would aid survival would be bad. Perhaps that could explain the increasing difficulty noticed by others? (It can't be completely true. Instead of saying "moving furniture would make the game easier so it would be too OP", it's like they said something like "how about moving furniture?")

I think this disproves what people say about balance. Let's say the average survival time is six weeks. One guy says

"How about this feature that would provide an asset that would be quite a good one in reality?" (It could be something like toolboxes or knee-high boots)

and another says "But that would improve the survivability of Joe, affecting the delicate balance and making it topple over the side of ease. The average survival time must be six weeks".

Then there is an update that changes the average survival time to four weeks.

"Lo, you thought that there was a delicate balance between the easy and the hard, but yon update hath largely quite changed the difficulty, and there be no toppling. Now how about those knee-high boots?"

"Knee-high boots would protect Joe from zombie bites, affecting the fine balance. The average survival time must remain at four weeks".

Most of my lives last only 2 or 3 days, but this last one I died at 13 days. Found a sledge on the first week and I was setup at the tavern in West Mul outskirts.

Worth noting, I spent my first week moving across the city, sleeping in a different (2 story) house every night. Most of my death seem to have been either when my base gets invaded while I'm sitting in it reading or when I come back from looting and find new occupants have moved in.

I've setup these guidelines for myself (in addition to the usual stuff like having nails and sheet ropes handy) to help deal with the increased difficulty:

• No sleeping at ground level
  • If you need to store gear/supplies, use bags instead of storage containers
  • Until a sledge is found, stay on the move and avoid hoarding gear
  • Until a sledge is found, all important/rare tools (saw, axe, garbage bags) should be kept on you at all times
  • Don't enter a building if you can't see on all sides of it
  • Avoid large buildings (like schools) if you can't see inside; it could hide a horde.
  • Only activity allowed past 5PM is looking for shelter
  • Avoid dense forest or building clusters and other locations with low visibility
  • Leave at the first bang on a window. Doors are less urgent.

Anyone else that's come up with their own guidelines for survival in 33.1?

I used to think of all those things as interesting suggestions, but now I see them more are survival necessities. These rules also mean I usually end up half-looting only 1 or 2 locations per day, and usually not the ones I wanted to loot in the first place either. It's less about planning and more about opportunity now. I spend most of my time scouting potential targets and ditching pursuing zeds. Makes for a much slower progression than before where I was usually set for life before the water turned off. The shear amount of zombies is making me seriously reconsider using a combat build. The hordes are too large and numerous to tangle with.

I kept a backup of that game at week 1. I usually delete the world on death and start over but I think I'ma do a bit of save scumming so I can experiment without having to find a damn sledge again. I've got this theory that the "sadistic director" feature has been snuck into this build right under our noes, now I gotta prove it!

Most of my death seem to have been either when my base gets invaded while I'm sitting in it reading...

Okay, so it's not just me then. I was fast-forward reading when all of a sudden BOOM a zombie flies through the kitchen window straight at me. I hit "normal speed" so damn fast...

It would be nice if you could set it to go to normal speed as soon as there was a zombie in view.

It would be nice if you could set it to go to normal speed as soon as there was a zombie in view.

Hitting a move key should return time to normal. Still requires you to do something but it's faster than using the mouse or even a keyboard shortcut to set speed.

You're lucky it was just the one, for me it's usually whole damn 100+ zombie hordes o.O I hear one bang on a window, figure "bah i'm upstairs it'll be fine" but then as soon as the window breaks the whole first floor gets flooded and there's zombies waiting under the windows too :o

Hitting a move key should return time to normal. Still requires you to do something but it's faster than using the mouse or even a keyboard shortcut to set speed.

You're lucky it was just the one, for me it's usually whole damn 100+ zombie hordes o.O I hear one bang on a window, figure "bah i'm upstairs it'll be fine" but then as soon as the window breaks the whole first floor gets flooded and there's zombies waiting under the windows too :o

Maybe that's what happened... The zombie missile startled me so I mashed a button and stopped the fast forward.

I'm not playing survival, so I'm not seeing those giant hordes. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting for The First Week.