The new radio Is... (spoiler, read at your own risks)

Decay

I swear, the amount of those d*mn chum-o-whatever commercials there are. Every time that commercial comes on I just switch the channel. I mean the amount of money they must spend on advertising! And they offer up these life problems and say they can fix it with a chocolate cone. Right now I'm on day 3(?) and started on first week with the starter kit. Boarded up my little trailer and hauled a value-tech TV from next store into my kitchen. My character basically hasn't slept in two days and has had his face glued to the television.

Edit: Also heard a scream today. Needless to say, I had to do a load of laundry.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there somewhere where I can just read the news broadcasts in a file?

I've tried twice to sit through and watch them all on tv, but I've ran into the bug twice now where the TV becomes permanently off even with the power on.

Nope, sorry - I've actually asked that the text is encoded for now so people can't do this. I'd much rather people enjoy it in-situ, as it's written to be read in-game and with all the other content running simultaneously. If anyone were to do this, over the next couple of weeks until it's released to translators at least, I'd probably politely ask that it isn't put on any of TIS or PZ forums/sites.

There's just too much to be spoiled in there, and I was writing it for... six months? Maybe more. I'd hate that someone could just spend a few hours reading it all.

I've kinda maybe sorta already decoded all 9k+ lines within like half an hour by making an automatic decoder + decrypted file saver.

Don't worry, I won't release it :P

It'd be fun to have randomly generated notebooks, detailing people's life's before and after, let's say you find a barricaded house there might be a notebook on one of the survivors corpses detailing there survival, just as an Immersion thingy, also Is there any more radio after the first week? when the outbreak spreads? (Do you get the six months later radio chatter after awhile?) 

Btw, i'm not in that IWBUMS thing, so i have question about that.

Do what people say in tv/radio have ANY impact on real game?

For example - first day, almost no zombies.

Goverment want to take care of that - more military sounds (gunfire etc.)

I'm really curious about that.

Sorry for posting it here, but i see that dev is really active here, so i will probably get valuable info about that.

All I can say  is..... WOW! Combined with randomization, furniture moving, etc, this is awesome! The world is really starting to take on a life of its own. That being said, even if nothing else but the radio was added this build, I would still be ecstatic! The radio truly makes the world (including the 'outside' world) feel lived in and believable. I can already imagine that this will be a huge conduit for expansion in the future. My hats off to the creator (I'm guessing Batsphinx) for bringing PZ to a new level. The only things I would like to mention is that 1. I agree with the slider for speed idea completely and 2. Perhaps a way to make the tv/radio text larger or better colored. Sometimes it is hard to read. Either way, amazing work!

I'm hoping for some proper descriptions of any given situation instead of the generic texts we have so far. Here are some examples:

- People can't go back to Muldraugh, but there isn't even an interview with some concerned parents who left their kids home with the grandparents. Nor is there an interview with a business owner whose going bankrupt.

- The situation is unclear, but the media isn't speculating. Really?! I haven't seen conflicting reports either.

- Whatever text there is, is lifeless and so short that it can't be anything but lifeless. There is lots of military, but there is hardly any description, like a patrol moving out or returning to base. Their faces can show how shocked they are, maybe there is blood and the military claims that there has been a car accident. Anything is better than, oh there is lots of military and we can't go there.

- Why isn't the media fighting for their right to report and violating the no go area? The access of the media could be restricted more and more. There could be press conferences with the general. A team of reporters could breach into the zone till they are arrested, even executed on the spot and a hidden away walkie talkie could go on broadcasting.

- Even the politicians in PZ world don't comment on the situation. Don't these towns have mayors? And why aren't the republicans and democrats fighting over whose fault this situation is.

Anyway, I was hoping for way more content with lengthy reports about small incidents, personal stories and people's feelings and short and concise news three times a day. 

I'm hoping for some proper descriptions of any given situation instead of the generic texts we have so far. Here are some examples:

. . .

Anyway, I was hoping for way more content with lengthy reports about small incidents, personal stories and people's feelings and short and concise news three times a day. 

You might even say it's a work in progress and has more on the way.

- People can't go back to Muldraugh, but there isn't even an interview with some concerned parents who left their kids home with the grandparents. Nor is there an interview with a business owner whose going bankrupt.

- The situation is unclear, but the media isn't speculating. Really?! I haven't seen conflicting reports either.

- Whatever text there is, is lifeless and so short that it can't be anything but lifeless. There is lots of military, but there is hardly any description, like a patrol moving out or returning to base. Their faces can show how shocked they are, maybe there is blood and the military claims that there has been a car accident. Anything is better than, oh there is lots of military and we can't go there.

- Why isn't the media fighting for their right to report and violating the no go area? The access of the media could be restricted more and more. There could be press conferences with the general. A team of reporters could breach into the zone till they are arrested, even executed on the spot and a hidden away walkie talkie could go on broadcasting.

- Even the politicians in PZ world don't comment on the situation. Don't these towns have mayors? And why aren't the republicans and democrats fighting over whose fault this situation is.

For the first bold point, it depends on what station your listening to. Something mainstream like NNN isn't gonna speculate that much. Big corporations and government are tied hand and hand.

For the second bold point, If you watch the triple N station long enough, you will see that a reporter did go inside the exclusion zone. I'll let you discover what happens...

As for the last bold point, yeah, it does happen, with the republicans bashing the president over the situation. Watch some more triple N.

There is a ton of content, and it seems like you simply haven't seen enough of it. Plus what Engima said, its a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

the radio is fantastic, I cant wait for more to be added, cause once it hits like 07-18 its very very quite on the tv and radio, however I did manage to pick something up after the silence which I thought was very awesome, and sad in a way

a group of survivors end up at the LBMW radio station and hide out there.They say that they had found a zombified Jackie Jay and put her down, RIP Jackie :(

However I was really hoping on of the radio on of the Dj's would end up staying and making the station there base of operations, and keep broadcasting music and news from other survivors who passed by, maybe even changed his name to Three Dog, cause out in that zombie wasteland, someones gotta fight, the good fight.

This is one of the most amazing features I've seen. It would be awesome if there are some triggered events tied to it though. For instance, when you start there could be a randomly determined time when the power shuts off and one of those reasons being that the military cuts the water and power in hopes of killing everyone not already infected to reduce numbers. This could be prompted by a broadcastings hinting at it, then a few days later lots of gun shots drawing zombies away before everything gets cut. Or a randomly generated "we are at this location with supplies/rescue" only to show up with tones of people dead, but some randomly generated items to loot.

There's still one thing I don't quite understand tho....

General McGraw says that ''some ppl are immune'' and yet, immunity is up there at the ''THOU SHALTH NOT HAVETH!'' feature list. Is this meant to be a misleading argument? Or there really IS such a thing as being immune being built randomly on the survivors.

Because, y'see, even with Proper Zeds, some of my chars have been bitten and scratched more than your average L4D survivor and as long as I didn't let the wound infect, I never EVER got Zed-ified. While some others, for instance, followed the Highschool of the Dead convention of ''One Bite/Scratch and you're Zed''.

Where those characters immune while the others weren't? I never use the Resilent trait, so I'm sure it isn't that.

Also, as for the radios themselves, particularly the HAM Radios, I think they could easily become crucial on survivor relations and interactions. Think of it a-la State of Decay way, which was quite good IMHO. Have some ''Radio Operator'' (which could be a good thing to do for those survivors who are wounded, sick or somehow weakened to stay away from danger until they heal) back at the base keeping track of the other survivors, as well as in contact with other safehouses who also have HAM Radios. And you could even use it to make trade deals; asking for who wants to trade a Hammer for some Canned Food and stuff.

Plus, with HAM Radios, we should also make it so some places come with better radio equipment than others. A good antenna most specifically, which gives them a bit of an advantage over other safehouses. Places like Police Stations, Trucking Warehouses, Hospitals, and of course, Radio Stations should come with much better antennas than the average home or shop.

Aside from that, there should also be a way for Engineers or Electricians to build their own homemade antennas. As someone who's the son of a lifelong Radio Amateur, I know it's not as hard as you may think if you have the know-how.

To answer Blake81:

General McGraw says that ''some ppl are immune'' and yet, immunity is up there at the ''THOU SHALTH NOT HAVETH!'' feature list. Is this meant to be a misleading argument? Or there really IS such a thing as being immune being built randomly on the survivors.

Because, y'see, even with Proper Zeds, some of my chars have been bitten and scratched more than your average L4D survivor and as long as I didn't let the wound infect, I never EVER got Zed-ified. While some others, for instance, followed the Highschool of the Dead convention of ''One Bite/Scratch and you're Zed''.

Where those characters immune while the others weren't? I never use the Resilent trait, so I'm sure it isn't that.

Also, as for the radios themselves, particularly the HAM Radios, I think they could easily become crucial on survivor relations and interactions. Think of it a-la State of Decay way, which was quite good IMHO. Have some ''Radio Operator'' (which could be a good thing to do for those survivors who are wounded, sick or somehow weakened to stay away from danger until they heal) back at the base keeping track of the other survivors, as well as in contact with other safehouses who also have HAM Radios. And you could even use it to make trade deals; asking for who wants to trade a Hammer for some Canned Food and stuff.

Plus, with HAM Radios, we should also make it so some places come with better radio equipment than others. A good antenna most specifically, which gives them a bit of an advantage over other safehouses. Places like Police Stations, Trucking Warehouses, Hospitals, and of course, Radio Stations should come with much better antennas than the average home or shop.

Aside from that, there should also be a way for Engineers or Electricians to build their own homemade antennas. As someone who's the son of a lifelong Radio Amateur, I know it's not as hard as you may think if you have the know-how.

This is explained a little bit better if you watch some of the other broadcasts. I believe its referring to immunity from the "initial" infection, that created the zombies to begin with, and not immunity from bites/scratches. However, it could also simply be meant to be misleading as is shown in the earlier broadcasts.

Hmm... I've looked into the actual bite & scratch mechanics but not the infection mechanics.

This definitely catches my attention, I'll have to look into it.

We like to keep a bit of mystery here on the forums. If you go code diving, *don't* post your results here, or at least, if you do, hide them behind a spoiler warning ;)

.... My Conspiranoia Sense is tingling....

Anyway, is there any chance we'll ever get some extra gizmos to make our radios better? Like say, a makeshift antenna of some sort?

It would be pretty neat if some radio broadcasts you heard were triggered by events in game. For example, if you went on a shotgun rampage for some reason in the first few days, maybe an army broadcast would note large amounts of zombies gathering in X location, but if you didn't do that, the army wouldn't notice anything special.