Can we get a new aiming system?

Jether

-snip-

Had it for about two years; constant complaints about the mechanic being broken. Now focusing only influences knock down chance.

Don't mean to be dismissive. It's just that TIS has tried a few things over the years. :P

No problem, I'm a recent survivor so all's good.

I would like to know how it was broken, it just seems so... Right to me. Maybe there's still a way to fix it? Though I guess y'all asked yourselves that many more times than I could. :P

I would prefer if i could pick which targets in that direction i could hit. The snaplock thing seems almost random with what target gets picked. Ive had it shoot a zombie to the right of me while i had one right in front of me. It just seems random

Edit: Just having a line or something to show where the bullet will go would be all i want. Having some choice in the matter rather then rng.

Honestly, I agree. It's really bad, and with the skills and traits overhaul, every gun but the shotgun was made even more useless. Guns don't aim properly and you can't have skill with it. It's all based on your character's traits, levels, current moodles and whether or not the game wants to let you hit each shot..

We're using guns to deadly effect on Zeek's Haven, Redboid, and SpiffoSpace. :-|

Admins are, sure, but look at this edit "So you have a situation where your gun takes 1 - 5 shots to kill, while attracting 1 - 50 + zombies per shot. In this game, guns are a useless piece of junk..." Gotta be honest, it's impractical 70% of the time no matter how you look at it. 30% would be if you're an admin, are sitting behind a shop counter shooting zombies, and other circumstances like that where you are almost completely untouchable.
Non-admin (on redboid) who has never had aiming above 7, I have personally killed 1000 zombies with a shot gun in a single sitting. I don't think it was the aiming system that changed rather than the skill level required to be decent with a weapon.

I've done pretty damn good with a pistol as well but never carried that much ammo for it.

Im talking about being able to pick your targets. I pvp often and have multiple characters with 10 aim or more on pvp servers. even on the vannilla spiffo space server i have grinded out 10 aim. The point is you can point and click on a zombie right in front of you and your character picks a target that is the complete opposite of what you want to hit. It seems rng what zombie you hit even with 10 aiming. Im not talking about the shotgun but single shot firearms where you have to make your shots count. This system wont work with npcs either since you cant pick which one you will shoot and will probally end up shooting the non hostile npc or a zombie a block away. Also shooting from an ekevated position is incredibly buggy. Anyone who has ever tried shooting with a hunting rifle or pistol from a 2nd story building or roof knows this. Im not asking to remkve rng, Im not asking to make this a cod third person shooter. I just wanna be able to hit what im pointing at and what i want to hit. Not the random zombie on the other side of the street while one is munching on my friend directly in front of me. I dont live out in the wilderness i prefer to live in west point and places with high zombie populations and enjoy the urban survival feel. When a horde is surrounding you and there is a small opening and you need to kill a few zombies quickly to make it through I hate the fact that i cant hit those zombies to make the hole even if i were to shove the gun down their throat and pull the trigger, the bullet would still find a way to leave the zombie unharmed and hit the random zombie to my right which isnt in my way.

Edit: And before you try and take my posts out of context again im not talking about shooting a zombie point blank and missing.

Might have found a way to overcome this. By doing what enigma said to edit the bat file along with editing the angle of the firearms to make them have a tighter spread. I might be able to make them require the point and click thing i was talking about. Seems its the angle that is screwing with everything. Ill head home and test after work.

Edit: Ill add this onto my Gun edit mod if it works.

rng is part and parcel of isometric RPG-s games. Just representing it with a straight line wouldn't mean you'd hit. *Shrug*

If you want, add -Ddebug to the bat file and you can see the area in which a gun can hit something.

This seems useful but then again there are 100s of bat files. Can you be more specific?

rng is part and parcel of isometric RPG-s games. Just representing it with a straight line wouldn't mean you'd hit. *Shrug*

If you want, add -Ddebug to the bat file and you can see the area in which a gun can hit something.

This seems useful but then again there are 100s of bat files. Can you be more specific?

There are 7 .bat files. The two RCON .bat files are used to send server commands remotely (and are tucked away in a sub-directory, anyway). The other 5 are all pretty self-descriptive:

• ProjectZomboid64 - Launcher.bat - executes the game launcher.
  • ProjectZomboid - Translation Debug.bat - starts the game with features to aid string translation.
  • ProjectZomboidServer.bat - starts the packaged server.
  • ProjectZomboid32.bat - starts the game with support for 32-bit architectures.
  • ProjectZomboid64.bat  - starts the game with support for 64-bit architectures.

-Ddebug is a run-time flag - add it to the other flags in the .bat file you will use to start the game (i.e. ProjectZomboid64.bat or ProjectZomboid32.bat). Alternately, if you are using Steam, right click Project Zomboid in your library, open the Properties panel, click the "Set Launch Options" button, and the flag there.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but in build 32 you additionally had to press and hold the left shift key as soon as the game console appeared until the main menu rendered in order to boot the game into debug mode.

Well i got the angles to where i want them the issue is i want to be able to use the dbug linedrawer in multiplayer. Is there a way to mod this in so a server can use it? I dont want the debug console open but it seems everything in the Debug file all requires each other to work properly and my notepad ++ cant read that code that makes up those files.

• 4 months later...

Not gonna say i have anything useful at all ! But i support a new aiming system.
Mainly with the notion i would like to be able to shoot down to ground levels from 1+ floors.

Kicking an old mule here :P

Edited by Zilent

A slight variation on my suggestion from way back when.

What about having the aiming system focus itself whilst you're standing still? While moving or shooting from the hip the aiming system is the same as it is now, though standing still narrows your aim until it's a straight line?

The higher level you are the faster it narrows.

It won't change much for the cowboy but it would be damn beneficial for the sharpshooter.

I like the current aiming system. I don't have to aim. it gets annoying sometimes with the targeting preferences the game takes. I think if you wanted to improve the system, a setting I could click "Target Crawlers First" "Target Closest First" "Target Optimal First"  "Target Cluster First" . Something like that. Doesn't have to be all of them, but those seem the most useful settings. 

The part I don't like is that its hard to get your guy to aim down. Took a long time for me to figure it out and my guy still targets walkers over crawlers even if his foot it getting ready to get bit off while the walkers are half a block away. 

I can understand that the aiming system needs a few kicks in the arse to get it decent but right now i'd say it's fine, i think the way it is is fine, I've never had any problem with the aiming system except for one major gripe in the pvp system, the fact that when i shoot someone, point blank, with a shotgun, that it only counts as "1 bullet" i don't see why it shouldn't work the same way with people and zombies. I had an instance on redboid where i had a Bellini XM1014 on Redboid, and i was on top of the Mauldrough police station, this guy comes up to me pulls out a pistol, turns on PVP and shoots off 3 shots at me, in this time i was already prepared for him and POINT BLANK shot him 5 times with the shotgun and he didn't die and he ran off and lived too. Other than that i wouldn't say updating the PVP system is on the number one priority list for the Devs. (Or maybe im wrong and they've already got a TOP SECRET gun project going on)

EDIT: Grammer errors.

Edited by Queen Glory

As was said above, I really like the idea of a cone of fire somehow displayed on screen.  Maybe you can tint the area outside of your focused cone to make it clear where the bullets have a chance of landing.  So if you are a new shooter, your cone of view is wide like it is normally, but the more you train, the tighter the cone could be (so an advanced shooter, standing still, and aiming would have a very tight cone).

You could use how vision is obscured where the player isn't facing,  except not completely darkened out, just somewhat.

Regardless of how it is done, the current system is too random, and breaks immersion in my opinion.   Even with a novice shooter, I am pretty sure they would fare a little better with accuracy than what is currently available.

Agree.

I'm OK about my bullet may not hit my target. But it should allow me having some sort of prediction about where my bullet may fly to. So I think there should be a  scope crosshair (or something like that) in PZ. Players who have higher aiming skill, their  scope crosshair  shall be smaller. The closer the target, the scope crosshair shall be smaller. And the player shall get smaller scope crosshair if they are stand still.

PS: I hope there would be some animation for those bullets which hit the objects other than zombies or other players.

Edited by blackteapie