RELEASED: Build 33

RobertJohnson

"Something is  surely up with zed behaviour."

This will be written on our tombstones and has been said about 10000 times over the length of PZ dev about about 100 builds, how the previous build was fine but the current one 'sends zombies to the player'. Despite the dev team and moderators repeatedly saying NO code exists to do this, has every existed like this, will ever exist like this, and it is completely counter to the point of the game, and whatever happened will have had an explanation routed in the game mechanics. Most likely a sound.

Come build 34 it'll be someone else's turn to say how build 34 broke build 33's perfect zombies, just as build 33 has broken build 32's and build 32's broke build 31's.

It's really really hard to know how else to phrase this.

Also, remember, bases *are* zombie magnets by and of themselves, especially larger ones.

Building walls? Generate sound! Cutting logs? Sound.  Running genny(s)? Sound. Cutting trees? Sound. Zombie runs into a wall? Sound. Fmod only changes how you perceve things, not the underlying way sound works in game. Radios, tvs definitely have a sound effect, but not a huge quantity.

u can't play survival game any more with zombies spawning next to your base everey single day. Also they migrate towords my base for no freaking reason. If you dont know what i'm talking about go and see last eckyman's episode

I swear to god, this weekend i am going to have a PZ marathon in survival mode and will not make any noise at all and will come here to confirm if spawn next to my base or not.

Also, remember, bases *are* zombie magnets by and of themselves, especially larger ones.

Building walls? Generate sound! Cutting logs? Sound.  Running genny(s)? Sound. Cutting trees? Sound. Zombie runs into a wall? Sound. Fmod only changes how you perceve things, not the underlying way sound works in game. Radios, tvs definitely have a sound effect, but not a huge quantity.

Ok but if you don't make much noice they still come to your base. This magnet behavior is really hard to deal with. Not the ammount of zets. I love the difficulty, constant harrasment and you can't just buid a huge base without consequences. But no matter how big group of zombies you will drag away from your base the next day the just show up from nowhere.

Ok but if you don't make much noice they still come to your base. This magnet behavior is really hard to deal with. Not the ammount of zets. I love the difficulty, constant harrasment and you can't just buid a huge base without consequences. But no matter how big group of zombies you will drag away from your base the next day the just show up from nowhere.

It's all about migration and gunshot meta-sounds. Nothing else. There is 12 hour redistribution (migration) time in survival so zombies are sent to adjacent cells of the map twice a day. If you happen to be on the edge of a saturated cell you'll find yourself under constant zombie attacks (every 12 hours) and meta sounds possibly luring them your way as well on top of that. That's how I see it.

Building walls? Generate sound! Cutting logs? Sound. Running genny(s)? Sound. Cutting trees? Sound. Zombie runs into a wall? Sound. Fmod only changes how you perceve things, not the underlying way sound works in game. Radios, tvs definitely have a sound effect, but not a huge quantity.

It's all about migration and gunshot meta-sounds. Nothing else. There is 12 hour redistribution (migration) time in survival so zombies are sent to adjacent cells of the map twice a day. If you happen to be on the edge of a saturated cell you'll find yourself in constant zombie attacks (every 12 hours) and meta sounds possibly luring them your way as well on top of that. That's how I see it.

+1 in my sandbox game I have migration time set to ~90h and its a lot better. the zeds still move and attack my base (north farm in MU) but it happens every few (2-4) days so I have time for loot runs, building and other stuff. For those that dont like survival I recomend setting up migration time to (3-5 days) and respawn to 10d.

I'm testing at the moment, I set up in the big prison in Bedford, in the NW corner of the map.

It's very easy to fortify the central area and is rich with loot, everything from guns, books, medicine, trees etc.

I even disabled migration completely, turned respawning down to 0.05 and the timer for unseen repspawning up to 72 hours.

What happens as I gradually build my base?

That's right I get a constant slow daily stream of zombies coming from the direction of the town.

It's all the noise I'm making in cutting down trees and putting up walls, it has to be.

This only started happening once I started building stuff.

It's working great imo.

Something with zeds on this release is totally broken.

I have deactivated respawn and set migration to max, but everytime i go to a house, put off all light, close all windows and put blankets over them, dont make any noise ect. then after sometime some zeds appears and will just attack the windows and doors.

That just doesnt feel right.

I could also see it when lurking some big zombie hordes through westpoint. The last Zeds in the horde will stop following me after some time and will just go attack so random doors and windows without a reason.

It seems that zeds are magically attracted to nearby doors and windows without any reason.

There should be at least a option in Sandbox options to deactivate this behavior.

I get it that this make the game much more difficult for survival but we should have the option to decide if we want to play with this "unrealistically" behavior. ( In movie terms, like Walking Dead ect. )

I'm testing at the moment, I set up in the big prison in Bedford, in the NW corner of the map.

It's very easy to fortify the central area and is rich with loot, everything from guns, books, medicine, trees etc.

I even disabled migration completely, turned respawning down to 0.05 and the timer for unseen repspawning up to 72 hours.

What happens as I gradually build my base?

That's right I get a constant slow daily stream of zombies coming from the direction of the town.

It's all the noise I'm making in cutting down trees and putting up walls, it has to be.

This only started happening once I started building stuff.

It's working great imo.

I guess that now the question from "If a tree falls down in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound" is inverted if a zombie can hear that tree even from the other side of the map.

No meta sounds are coming trough

Yeah something is very fishy about the meta events right now, the zombies were moving to some direction as if some meta event happend but i never heard anything.

Also holy crap they did kinda fixed the hunger rates, i cant no longer supply myself eating 1/4 of any food, for the first time i am watching my chip/food reserve go down at a very high rate and actually planning on doing loot runs not for the sake of doing them but for the sake of keeping a bit more of a supply of food income, otherwise i am going to die surrounded by radios. 

Also holy crap they did kinda fixed the hunger rates, i cant no longer supply myself eating 1/4 of any food, for the first time i am watching my chip/food reserve go down at a very high rate and actually planning on doing loot runs not for the sake of doing them but for the sake of keeping a bit more of a supply of food income, otherwise i am going to die surrounded by radios.

Thats the one of the best change ever. For me its as huge as new zombie system. Those hunger traits are no more free points.

my first impression of build 33. AMAZING! I watched several build 32 games and randomly decided to watch a 33 to see what was up. Then found myself constantly watching them, so I decided to try out 33, and omg its amazing.  I actually had my heart racing several times on the first day from ambient noises and pre-barriered houses next door having noises going on inside them that I could hear in my house.  It was also interesting to hear the floors creak and when I destroyed my doors to barricade my place I could have sworn I heard a zombie breaking in only to find that doors make a different bang sound after so much damage.  

One issue though is that i'm having a rough time deciphering settings.  I tried first week normal, and there was literally no reason to select normal because the house was LOADED with things. Everything I needed was in the house already.  I went to another house plethora of things again. So i'm curious which settings are more like 32 survival or is loot heavy but shortly more shortly lived survival what we are going for here. Does this have to do with variable condition? If this is the case i'm down with it. Definitely loving the fixed hunger system as well.

on normal i only seen two in there. maybe a few more hiding in the restroom. seemed pretty cosher, but it did start drawing some stragglers to the building until they broke through a window. I started looking at eckymans playthrough though. Was there an issue with 32 build saves changing zombie settings when porting over because there was a stark difference between his 32 build and his middle game 33 build? If this is intended, I don't mind too much, because I was hoping there would be a point when things start to get out of hand with progressively worsening incursions that start every few days before becoming a daily hassle/last stand situation or maybe a new late game scenario where you can no longer have one perma fort, but have to rotate between multiple forts like the early game, but on steroids until you cant keep up, or if you didn't plan accordingly you were screwed.

When I go for extended camps in areas with lots of bear activities there is a basic rule: You don't sleep where you shit, you don't shit where you eat, and you don't eat where you sleep. Thus you end up building three camps a distance between each other for different purposes. I would like to apply this to the game, but shitting being resource gathering, though a better way to transport resources would be nice such as a vehicle. Though you'd still park your vehicle a distance away from where you were building. maybe a shopping cart/red wagon/wheel barrel for early transport?

No meta sounds are coming trough

Yeah something is very fishy about the meta events right now, the zombies were moving to some direction as if some meta event happend but i never heard anything.

The same happend to me more then one time, the last one was very strange i sneaked over a street and suddendly i saw all this sprinting zeds coming from one direction, iam very sure i wasnt making any noise but some meta event must lurked them.

On a side note, in my currently nearly 7 survival months i havnt heard a single helicopter sound so far.

So iam wondering if the event is still in the game.

I can't find the translation debug exe anymore, did I miss something? I hoped I could work on the French translation this afternoon, but so far... I'm screwed.

I personally reported this to RJ some time ago.

Your ProjectZomboid32.bat should look like that:

@setlocal enableextensions
@cd /d "%~dp0"
SET PZ_CLASSPATH=jinput.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlite-jdbc-3.8.10.1.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./
".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Dzomboid.steam=1 -Dzomboid.znetlog=1 -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp %PZ_CLASSPATH% zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -debugtranslation
PAUSE

and you're good to go.