RELEASED: Build 33

RobertJohnson

Ah okay, they may have to go earlier than that though, I've been on the internet since 1991. It would be so cool to get on a computer and see that their last communications was with a guy in england or something. That modem screech would probably attract zombies from england though LOL.

Something with zeds on this release is totally broken.

I have deactivated respawn and set migration to max, but everytime i go to a house, put off all light, close all windows and put blankets over them, dont make any noise ect. then after sometime some zeds appears and will just attack the windows and doors.

That just doesnt feel right.

I could also see it when lurking some big zombie hordes through westpoint. The last Zeds in the horde will stop following me after some time and will just go attack so random doors and windows without a reason.

It seems that zeds are magically attracted to nearby doors and windows without any reason.

There should be at least a option in Sandbox options to deactivate this behavior.

I get it that this make the game much more difficult for survival but we should have the option to decide if we want to play with this "unrealistically" behavior. ( In movie terms, like Walking Dead ect. )

that would be a great option. one where its like this all ridiculous and the other where theres no respawns, city's population is the zombie population maybe with them coming in every so often from the edges of the map. also think the attacking doors thing is unrealistic. everything else is great.

I definitely agree there.  They shouldn't be attacking windows and doors to get into a house unless they hear or see something inside.

At this point, it can be considered part of Zomboid's lore: They hear a noise or see their refelction, or otherwise tricked / accidently bump into it, and they must destroy.

While it may be balanced one way or another, it's not going to be removed, just like spawning/migraition isn't going to be removed, only tweaked.

Was excited to hear we could move furniture and stuff around in this build. So I blocked some windows with round tables and such and was pleased to see the zombies attack the stuff I used to block the Windows when they saw me behind them. But sadly the fun ended there as the stuff I put in front of the Windows just disappear once you leave the area and come back.

I definitely agree there.  They shouldn't be attacking windows and doors to get into a house unless they hear or see something inside.

At this point, it can be considered part of Zomboid's lore: They hear a noise or see their refelction, or otherwise tricked / accidently bump into it, and they must destroy.

While it may be balanced one way or another, it's not going to be removed, just like spawning/migraition isn't going to be removed, only tweaked.

I've played this game for quite a while now and belong to the group of "this game is too easy". And even though the difficulty of this game isn't a problem for me even I think the zed's just "magically" being drawn to windows/doors with no noise or movement on the other side is pretty lame.

Its the wrong way (IMO) to increase difficulty or should I say a cheap way. It's like how they handle difficulty in Fallout, just increasing enemies health and making them into bullet sponges is a lame technique, and making zombies magically attracted to doors/windows/walls when there was no noise or movement on the other side is cheap and lame. Just watch Ecky man's latest videos and you'll see how genuinely poor this technique is.

Okay, so the zombies are acting really strange.
Mind you this is multiplayer in IWBUMS 33,7 - so perhaps it's not happening in singleplayer (I doubt it is, but still, might want to check it out)

Okay, so we wanted to check out the wall. It rarely ends up well (our friend died), but we got lucky, because the gas station north of the mall triggered an alarm, which we thought would clear the entrances a bit for us to go inside and loot the hardware stores. However, way later when we go check the gas station out(I wanted to clear them out with a molotov, I notice their horde acting really strange (We've seen this behaviour every time we triggered an alarm and got away real quick) The Zombies just kept trying to enter the building that had no alarm and the alarm stopped really long ago.

What's more, this huge horde just keeps drawing more and more zombies to it (love this mechanic, however they should disperse and go horde someplace else together?) Even after setting them all on fire and circling them a bit (which also gave us tons of sneaking xp in one second due to the proximity to a ton of zombies..?) they kept being mostly interested in getting inside that building.

They ignored us for the most part. The building just kept drawing more zombies in as well, even after most zeds died. Honeypot much?

http://i.imgur.com/VXRyt7J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gHFe8wa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z2kSJOI.jpg

edit: Oh yeah, I fired my pistol. They all just ignored me. (I wanted to drag them with me inside the wall and let the motherfucker burn to the ground for taking our mate.)

I've played this game for quite a while now and belong to the group of "this game is too easy". And even though the difficulty of this game isn't a problem for me even I think the zed's just "magically" being drawn to windows/doors with no noise or movement on the other side is pretty lame.

Its the wrong way (IMO) to increase difficulty or should I say a cheap way. It's like how they handle difficulty in Fallout, just increasing enemies health and making them into bullet sponges is a lame technique, and making zombies magically attracted to doors/windows/walls when there was no noise or movement on the other side is cheap and lame. Just watch Ecky man's latest videos and you'll see how genuinely poor this technique is.

It's been like this for four years. It's not remotely new or added to this build. Zombies have always attacked IsoThumpable objects if their planned path intersects with them. Note that I said in my post that it will be tweaked and balanced if necessary (or fixed if there's a bug), but it's not being removed.

CaptainBinky touches on this in a few of his posts, if you're intersted in seeing the dev's own take:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectzomboid/comments/3e34a7/new_update_is_ridiculous/ctb8rzp

What would make it more fun that way would be to put zombies on pinpoint hearing / excellent vision in that mode.

That way they would hear you in the house and see you through the windows.

I tried playing a fair with pinpoint hearing zombies and it was actually pretty good.  It felt much more like movies and tv.

Adding as a sandbox option would allow the above :)

The thing is, if I made zombie thump on windows/doors only if they hear a sound/chase someone, I'm afraid it would dramatically reduce the difficulty of the game...

I'll see what I can do and maybe add a sandbox options for it (tho Survival will remain like this)

There are other ways to make the game harder. That last food/hunger change was almost as important as b32 zombie changes. And you guys still have a lot of ways to make our life miserable like sleep changes, nights, mental stuff, more medical stuff, NPC bandits etc.

The thing is, if I made zombie thump on windows/doors only if they hear a sound/chase someone, I'm afraid it would dramatically reduce the difficulty of the game...

I'll see what I can do and maybe add a sandbox options for it (tho Survival will remain like this)

There are other ways to make the game harder. That last food/hunger change was almost as important as b32 zombie changes. And you guys still have a lot of ways to make our life miserable like sleep changes, nights, mental stuff, more medical stuff, NPC bandits etc.

It's not being removed. It'll be tweaked and balanced if necessary. It can instead be used in a complimentry way to those other things you suggest, rather than abandoning a mechanic of the game, just because you don't like it's current operation/explanation behind it.

Instead you will have a very fancy sandbox option to play the game your way.

Mind you this is multiplayer in IWBUMS 33,7 - so perhaps it's not happening in singleplayer (I doubt it is, but still, might want to check it out)

Okay, so we wanted to check out the wall. It rarely ends up well (our friend died), but we got lucky, because the gas station north of the mall triggered an alarm, which we thought would clear the entrances a bit for us to go inside and loot the hardware stores. However, way later when we go check the gas station out(I wanted to clear them out with a molotov, I notice their horde acting really strange (We've seen this behaviour every time we triggered an alarm and got away real quick) The Zombies just kept trying to enter the building that had no alarm and the alarm stopped really long ago.

What's more, this huge horde just keeps drawing more and more zombies to it (love this mechanic, however they should disperse and go horde someplace else together?) Even after setting them all on fire and circling them a bit (which also gave us tons of sneaking xp in one second due to the proximity to a ton of zombies..?) they kept being mostly interested in getting inside that building.

They ignored us for the most part. The building just kept drawing more zombies in as well, even after most zeds died. Honeypot much?

edit: Oh yeah, I fired my pistol. They all just ignored me. (I wanted to drag them with me inside the wall and let the motherfucker burn to the ground for taking our mate.)

That looks absolutely terrifying! Could you imagine the siege if there were people inside?!

Wait...

Zombies die from fire again?

Or did you guys only nerf it?

why not implement fear the rain?

Why implement fear the rain, when you can just play the mod? :)

This would be the most awesomest sandbox option ever.

What about depending on how much hp the object has (how solid it is) and if no other near zombies are thumping near it . the zombie gives up on getting through / forgets what it's doing and goes idle? So when a wall is in the way, a single zombie doesn't always keeps thumping till it is down, it might make several attempts on getting through, but not a continuous one.

I mean, a weak structure or something falling apart would probably probably budge or something when thumping it, giving feedback to the zombie... A sound structure wouldn't. No feedback would probably make a zombie forget what he's doing, making it go idle. Which can result in 3 things: It stays in front of the place structure it was thumping, it starts walks in the direction of the structure and begins thumping again or it walks in a different direction and best case scenario walks out of sight.

For example: A single zombie would still break an unbarricaded window but might give up on a door after a few hours.

What about depending on how much hp the object has (how solid it is) and if no other near zombies are thumping near it . the zombie gives up on getting through / forgets what it's doing and goes idle?

Yes, this I'd like to see. Not to mention a small chance to not even start thumping it in the first place :)

That was absolutely fantastic to see in a screenshot. So many zombies.

TCO

33.8, yay!

• Reworked all the sounds on FMOD studio, so no more popping, better sound management, but may need more balance...
  • Lowered number of window wind/rattle (inside ambient house)
  • Added sandbox options to make zombies thump only if they're chasing/heard a sound (still enabled in 6 months/survival)
  • Handle a mix of players with Deaf trait w.r.t. sound.
  • Fixed wrong burned-sprite for carpentry fences.
  • Fixed alarms sounding forever on the server.
  • Added /alarm server admin command to force an alarm to play in the current room.
  • Fixed some ambient sounds not considering the number of coop players.
  • Fixed gunshot ambient sounds not working in multiplayer.
  • Fixed one of the gunshot ambient sounds never getting chosen.
  • Fixed flickering when in the Lua debugger.
  • Fixed health-panel errors when spamming right-click actions.
  • Fixed client sending sounds to server when it shouldn't.
  • Fixed null point exception on server.
  • Fixed some outdoor chairs showing "Remove Bush" in context menu.
  • Fixed generators only powering levels 0,1,2 no matter which level the generator was on.
  • Limited the time the helicopter can circle the player's location.
  • Fixed argument order with button colors.
  • Berry, mushroom and other crafting fixes.
  • Crafting UI displays spices and poison already added to a recipe.
  • Crafting UI displays poison icon next to known poisonous ingredients.
  • Fixed "Can of Mushroom Soup" being called "Unknown Mushroom".
  • Fixed already-added spices being saved without the full module + type.
  • Fixed poison detection level being clamped to 5 instead of 10.
  • Lowered thump sounds number
  • Updated Linux FMOD binaries.
  • Throw an exception if fmod.dll version doesn't match fmodintegration.dll.
  • Changing volume options affects already-playing sounds.
  • credits changes
  • Fixed client world lighting not being in sync when joining a server.
  • Fixed mushroom/berries can't be add in the recipes via right click

33.8, yay!

• Reworked all the sounds on FMOD studio, so no more popping, better sound management, but may need more balance...
  • Added sandbox options to make zombies thump only if they're chasing/heard a sound (still enabled in 6 months/survival)

Wooooooo!