Steam version of PZ won't start

Running_pharmacy

Question

16 answers to this question

Can you tell us what exactly happens when you hit "play"? Can you tell us what comes up in the console when the game fails to open? Computer specs would help a lot, too.

If you follow the guidelines in: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/19-how-to-write-a-good-bug-report-read-before-posting/ it will make it much easier for us to help!

Can you tell us what exactly happens when you hit "play"? Can you tell us what comes up in the console when the game fails to open? Computer specs would help a lot, too.

If you follow the guidelines in: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/19-how-to-write-a-good-bug-report-read-before-posting/ it will make it much easier for us to help!

Specs: Model: Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Processor: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon9tm0 HD Graphics 1.90 GHz

8 GB RAM

64-bit Operating system

When I click on the game, the console comes up for less than a second, then closes, giving me no time to read what comes up on the console. Steam says I am playing the game for a few seconds, about 1 or 2 seconds then stops.

Huh, that's weird. The Steam version of PZ is unfortunately rather buggy right now, so you may just want to stick to the Desura version for the time being. We're kinda in that weird transition phase of having just moved over to Steam, so we haven't gotten a stable build up there yet. It's really just a very rough testing build.

You might try grabbing a screenshot when the console flashes, though.

Huh, that's weird. The Steam version of PZ is unfortunately rather buggy right now, so you may just want to stick to the Desura version for the time being. We're kinda in that weird transition phase of having just moved over to Steam, so we haven't gotten a stable build up there yet. It's really just a very rough testing build.

You might try grabbing a screenshot when the console flashes, though.

Okay, this is the best screenshot I could get. I know it's hard to see but hopefully you can read what it says, if not I'll try again.

post-2043-0-05688300-1379192408_thumb.pn

couldn't figure out how to give steam the command to use my jre6 file instead of my jre7 folder.

I still wanted it to show me in PZ in steam, so, i downloaded the zip (p.s. the zip will not open in windows, had to use 7zip) and dropped all the contents into the appropriate steam folder.

then, renamed ProjectZomboid64.exe to ProjectZomboid32.exe. works like a champ and i still show as playing it in steam. hope this helps as a workaround for someone.

btw, imo, I do this because I do not believe it is right to have to change over all of java in order to accomidate one game and I still want to bring this game into the light among my steam friends.

sry for the confusion my jre versions are different bit versions. they did not want to play nice together back when i installed them.

my problem was that i could not find a way to add a switch that allows me to set the target path to the version of java that i wish to use through the steam interface and the 32 bit version of the application was crashing. i know there is a way to specify which version of java you want to target but i did not take the time to code in a fix. this was just my sloppy fix to get it up and running till indie got the steam version for 64 up on its feet.

rathlord, i am confused by your question. are you asking me if i have to do this or are you making a statement?

btw the latest version of the steam client now runs on my machine without crashing.

My Steam version won't start either, regular or compatible versions.  Though if I download the game from the official forum page and run that, it works fine.  Will I just have to carry over the entire folder into the Steam folder and overwrite everything?  Or will that even work?

I was making a statement.

You can have JRE 6 and JRE 7 in both 32-bit and 64-bit (each) on the same machine without any problems. Your problem seems to be that you only have 64-bit installed as Steam does not support 64-bit Java, only 32-bit. They may find a way to work around this in the future, but it's not something you should bank on.

As a sidenote, PZ should work on JRE 6 or JRE 7 with no problems, since it's actually compiled for JRE 6 as I recall.

An update broke me?

My PZ Steam version just did an update when I opened steam, now when I hit 'play' nothing happens. Literally, nothing. No momentary windows open or anything. I've tried opening through steam, the regular way, compatibility mode, opening the actual App in Finder (not through steam, but steam opens and then nothing again. Not even a crash.

I'm on Mac, and I've played a far few hours perfectly fine until this autoupdate happened today. Any help, or feels?

I've tried Steam both online and offline modes back and forth, nothing.