Good o'l Freeware Games

Svarog

I just found a CD from an OLD magazine that has 100 Freeware games on it was damaged beyond repair but since the games on it were freeware all I needed to do was search the web to find them again. And boy did I have tons of fun. (I won't share some links because while I did use some shitty download managers to get the games I think there are better ways to get them, I jsut didn't bother to look for them)

Idk, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but before Indie games were sold on steam there was so, so many freeware games of quality so much better than some of the shit you can find on steam nowadays for $.

Let's recall those good times and share some nice freeware game titles we know They may not work nowadays, on our modern machines, if they don't and you know a way let us know.

1: Street Bike Fury (Will not run on anything above Windows XP for me, had to use VirtualBox)

I love this one, non-stop side scrolling shoot em up on a bike action to some awesome rock music.

2: RoX (Same as above)
I don't really know how to describe this game since I've spent most of it one the level editor making levels with silly stories (Told by the environment) The best I can describe it as is the evolution of Pacman.

3: Glace (Worked on WinXP Compatibility Mode, can't guarantee it will though)
A really nice platformer game, I don't remember the plot but I've had lots of fun with it.

4: The New Satan Sam (Should run but defaults to 320x240 resolution, can't be windowed)
Now this is a really, really good platformer, played it a lot when I was a kid.

5: Gun Girl 2 (Should work fine on modern systems, it wasn't on the CD but IT ROCKS ANYWAY)
A FKING awesome game, it's like Cavestory+ but with zombies and that's all you should know.

6: Notrium (Probably will run on modern systems)
Wut? This game did the whole survival thing before it was a thing? It's a challenging top-down survival game, you're a space dude, ship goes to shit, you crash, escape, it's really good, try it.

7: Tremor 3 (Didn't test to see if it works on modern systems)
A couch MP only game, if you have a buddy and wan't to kill him in a top-down shooter game, try this.

8: Happyland Adventures (Again, didn't test it, at some point I just ran them all on VirtualBox WinXP)
A really good platformer, that is all I have to say.

Those are 7 games I found on the web that were on that old CD, there were more good ones but those 8 I really loved. What Freewares do you remember fondly or just want to recommend to all the moneyless bastards like myself out there? ;)

Free to play games:

Screenshot_11.png

...nuff said, and if you like ARPGs like Diablo, try Marvel Heroes 2015 or Path of Exile.

Otherwise there's gog.com (good old games) who sells most classics pretty cheap, patched or with an emulator set up to run on most modern systems without DRM. Like Icewind Dale II, Master of Magic (The bastard child of Magic: The Gathering + Civilization 1 + Heroes of Might & Magic), Dungeon Keeper II, Beneath a Steel Sky and what not.

Full price games I recommend:

Cities: Skylines (15000 mods on Steam workshop in LESS than a week after release, either the game was buggy beyond belief or people actually liked it... hmm... wonder which it was...)

Transistor (Bit short but very awesome)

Divinity: Original Sin

We knew that Divinity: Original Sin – Enhanced Edition [official site] was coming today, so its arrival is no surprise. We knew what to expect too: split-screen co-op; improved graphics; more voice-over; controller support; a reworked story; revamped loot and economy systems; an overhauled skill system; and so on. I’m still impressed looking atthe changelist detailing almost 1,300 changes that are now here for Larian’s fantasy RPG – and that’s excluding bug fixes and things too minor to mention.

A free major update to a one year old "Game of the Year" (Gamespot)? EA and Ubisoft take notes please...

snip

I kinda sorta think you missed the point of why I made this thread. I wasn't so much after popular indies or FTPs I found an old CD with a bunch of OLD 100% FREE games on it and Thought I'd share + maybe someone else would know some other games just like that, the stuff that most people might not know about but is still worth a shot + it's free so the only reason not to look for and try it is probably the fact that it might not run (Most of what I shared doesn't run on modern Windows OSs)

That and most of those games aren't really advertised anywhere, the stuff I shared was made a long time ago, It's not on itch.io or such sites.

I think ander01se kind of missed the mark a bit too. Although those old freeware CDs are probably a remnant of the 90's (maybe the early 2000's too), lots of younger folk wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about.

Of those you mentioned, Notrium was one that I remember quite clearly - it looked incredible for its time, and was one of the few 'not hours and hours with a steep learning curve' kinds of survival games.

I think I forked out $5 for a magazine with that on one of their CDs that came with it. Those CDs were the reason I found a lot of great freeware games, and discovered demos of other great games. I don't even know if they still have those kinds of magazines in the stores today, I think most of them shifted online.

When I was a kid, Dad compiled a CD of freeware games he'd get while at work and bring home for us to play on his laptop. We had to move on to the aptly titled "Games 2" CD when the first one was full with about 180 freeware games. There was Mr Matt, and some other egyptian themed puzzle/maze game that I fondly remember spending a lot of time with.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived