Left to do what they will, zombies will spend all day and night loitering in the streets, vandalizing windows and looking to get into fights. What this does is provide employment for the lower class, and allow them to work towards something greater than themselves.

Maybe somebody with the "strong" trait could jog across town with three hiking bags. If there is only a short distance to cover, then it might not be worth bringing your whole entourage, and just going alone. Even a strong person could make good use of zombie porters though. Unlike horses, zombies need eat nothing, so it may be that they tire not, and they are not frightened by anything. A survivor, weak or strong, may want to avoid tiring himself out carrying all the logs or other things himself. He may have a long distance to travel, making bringing his zombies along worth it so that only one such trip would be needed. If it turns out that zombies cannot get up again if they are carrying too much, and you really want them to carry that much, then maybe you could try making something like a zombie zimmer frame with wheels that fits several zombies on it, but then it might only be good on roads, where cars (if you want to use the fuel) and wagons and horses and asses and mules would also be good. If you need to run or fight, then you could quickly loop the leash around something and use a karabiner, and come back later. It's not that zombie slaves/cattle would be completely better or worse than horses or cars.

I've never seen The Walking Dead.

Left to do what they will, zombies will spend all day and night loitering in the streets, vandalizing windows and looking to get into fights. What this does is provide employment for the lower class, and allow them to work towards something greater than themselves.

Yup we are going full on Shaun of the Dead ending here.

I just thought of something to say about some people in the U.S.A. disliking depictions of slavery (if that's true. I really don't know). Unlike what are sometimes called wage slaves, slaves cannot choose who they work for. The U.S.A. already agrees with that sort of thing except with cows and pigs. They aren't exactly made to work, they are just kept and killed young, but it's similar to slavery because they didn't choose their employers. You could say that people and beasts are different, but yes I know that. It's all right to kill cows and pigs because they do not matter as much as people do, because they are less intelligent than us, and have no table manners, and have no proper language, and have no military power whatsoever. Welllllllllllllll zombies too (exept for military power)! Zombies are just beasts with even less intelligence, so it should be morally fine to enslave/enchattle them, so it should be fine to depict such a thing in a video game in the U.S.A.

PS

No offence to real zombies. I just meant made-up magical zombies like in the cinema.

Hmm domesticated Zeds ... sounds funny.

Lets get a little bit crazy. What if the Zeds are like in Warm Bodies ... Domesticat them are in this case much better then kill them. Or catch Zeds and try to heal them ... its all in the Videogames and Movies all over the Planet. 

Enslave Zeds sounds first bad but if you take a closer look you will see there is more then using them as slaves for Work.

What if when your loving Father/Wife/Husband become a Zed and you are so crazy you chained him/her somewhere and try to get them back? Or feed them like in ... ahh .. Resident Evil (2 and 3)

Then you are the "Slave" of your Zombiefriend.

Or imagine ... you are alone and drive insane ... catch a Zed to talk to him or play with him ...

I think this whole thing is more then a "Zeds will work for me".

At least ... hey lets catch a Zed and give him a sucide west. Then let him go and wait until he find a large group of other Zeds and then push the button and booom!

I think when we talk about Zombie Slaves we should take a look on every aspect.

Zombie labor is a great idea and would be beneficial.  It would be a great mod, but probably shouldn't be in vanilla.  The stress of choice when it comes to looting, and having to weigh the benefits of items looted is part of the fun.  I feel having a horde of pack mules may subtract from some of that challenge.  I think balancing it would be a real struggle.

It would make town hopping a lot easier.

Zombie labor is a great idea and would be beneficial.  It would be a great mod, but probably shouldn't be in vanilla.  The stress of choice when it comes to looting, and having to weigh the benefits of items looted is part of the fun.  I feel having a horde of pack mules may subtract from some of that challenge.  I think balancing it would be a real struggle.

If that is fun for you then that is fine, and if you were able to employ zombies then you could just avoid it and travel light. I addressed this sort of thing in my I will surive this mane paragraph. Your preferred mindset to project into Joe looks to me like "I want to survive, but more than that I do not want to do too much that would make surviving too easy". My preferred mindset to project is "I want to survive," and I believe that that is more likely to be the mindset of an actual person in that situation. For this reason, I do not think the desire of some to avoid doing things that exceed a good-idea threshhold is reason enough to decide against those things.

If that is fun for you then that is fine, and if you were able to employ zombies then you could just avoid it and travel light. I addressed this sort of thing in my I will surive this mane paragraph. Your preferred mindset to project into Joe looks to me like "I want to survive, but more than that I do not want to do too much that would make surviving too easy". My preferred mindset to project is "I want to survive," and I believe that that is more likely to be the mindset of an actual person in that situation. For this reason, I do not think the desire of some to avoid doing things that exceed a good-idea threshhold is reason enough to decide against those things.

I understand your point completely. I am just looking at this from a game perspective, and a development perspective.  Since it is a game it is meant to be challenging, making certain things easier can prove to be counter productive. Of course I am just offering my opinion on it.  I can only comment on my own play style, and my thoughts/suggestions to make the game the way I'd like to see it. 

If this was a real life situation of course you would do anything you could to survive. Since this is a game it would be paramount to keep in mind that making certain challenges easier could make the game less fun.  But as my signature says: "Maybe I'm missing the point."  To each his own.  Cheers!

• 7 years later...
On 11/1/2015 at 9:45 PM, Demonic_Kat said:

Hm. I'm obliged to be nice here so I won't go into a long historical lecture about the civil war and the people involved and the rammifications of introducing slavery into a video game in the united states... so I'll just say...

funny you say that...   there are worse games that have said mechanics in their games, a zombie pack mule/zed slave, would be the less offensive option among what other games like  "rimworld" has, speaking of said game even has the option of organ harvesting, sex trafficking, cannibalism and straight slavery, from raiding another settlement to pillaging and chasing down before beating and shackling other settlers for your colonies personal "property". so when I see someone state a comment such as yours,  I just can't help to chuckle, when you bring up "ramifications"  about a zombie pack mule mod, being talked about or suggested.

On 11/3/2015 at 5:44 PM, ValueOfGravity said:

If Zlaves were implemented, that would be damaging this healthy and fun playstyle that we all know and love.

So does adding farm animals that need your attention to stay, alive, yet those are getting added.