If I've got a lot of stuff I want to take with me, too much for me to conveniently carry, I might want to get somebody else to help me out. The problem, though, is that everyone else is infected with a disease that means they don't care about me anymore. It doesn't matter what I say, all they do is follow me and try to grab and bite me. But wait! Whatever mind-altering ailment they are affected by means the zombies will follow me whenever possible. There is no need to ask them, nor to be polite. The only problem is what would happen were they to get their hands on me. So here's me idea for how to recruit my sickly neighbours as porters.

After picking out a fast, strong-looking zombie, I catch him in a trap, or use a Y-shaped stick, or use a "martial artist" trait, or a "policeman" trait, or good armour, to wrestle him down and tie him up.

I then wrap his hands and make him wear plenty of mittens to stop him from scratching anything, but leave him with the use of his arms in case he falls over or needs to climb. It might make things easier to tie his hands together in front of his body actually.

I then make it so he can't moan and attract other zombies, perhaps by bunging up his throat, and prevent him from biting by doing whatever is sensible with my materials, maybe I tightly wrap his head so that his jaws stay shut after removing the teeth, or use leather straps and a mouth-cage, or something like that.

I then make him wear distinctive clothing so that I know it's him easily.

Finally, he is given a hiking backpack and made to follow me on a leash. I can then tie him to something while I am looting things or cutting wood, and untie him once I've given him his load to carry. A few slaves like this wouldn't be too hard to manage if they were all tied to each other like slaves, perhaps each tied to a long pole by their neck to keep them together.

Without governmental interference there shall no longer be any law to prevent slavery, and zombies would make ideal slaves. They never need to be fed, and will even follow you if they lose both their legs. I don't know if they age, but if they do eventually die of old age then that'll be more good news that bad news, because the zombies'll be mostly gone!

I don't particularly like that line where you said "Without governmental interference there shall no longer be any law to prevent slavery, ..."

Why not? Didn't slavery only stop in the U.S.A. because of the law? And in PZ most of the population is going to become almost excellent slave quality people. Maybe if you don't dislike it but just "don't particularly like" it then you need no justification.

Wagons make more sense zombies IMO would make horrible slaves, they also smell bad, if zombies can attract other zombies then they'd be useless also  you could shoot them easily.

All in all it wouldn't be something I'd see esp if we have cars 

That's a good idea about wagons. If you are in trouble then you can just leave it and it won't wander off unlike zombie slaves. You don't need to worry about tying it up for your own safety. You could have both though. A wagon that you sit on, with zombies at the back with their hands tied to it pushing it to try to get at you.

With a zombie slave though you could do experiments with it to see what stimuli it responds to. You could see if he responds to normal walking or sluggish zombie-like walking for instance.

I think it would be useful with cars. The roads might be blocked by cars, but zombie porters would be able to walk where you can. Cars need fuel, which you must loot or press yourself. Once there is no fuel left to loot, zombie porters may be viable. Here's another idea of something zombies could do that was formerly done by donkey slaves:

126725406-milling-flour-artwork-of-a-don

Here's a replacement image, a similar one:

mills-farm-mill.jpg

This could be to grind corn. You could try something like a carrot on a stick. A zombie could be wearing blinkers and only be able to see a photograph of George Bush in front of him, and when he pushes it around he somehow plays a sound coming from the George Bush saying something annoying. If that would work. I don't know what you mean by easily shooting them.

Edited by Gaffa Tape Warrior

i belive in some Voodoolegends about Zombies it was a "normal" procedure to sell zombificated people as slaves.

And the Picture of the mill ... i must smile when i imagine 2 Zeds with a piece of meat on the back and the first want to get the piece of the second and the second want the first piece ... wow clean, green energy xD

Realy i think without the law, slavery will be a integrated part of the community ... look at the history of mankind. Aegypt, Greek, Rome,  etc ...

i am not saying slavery was a good thing, i think the human species is totaly rotten in the core and slavery would exist so long Human exist.

Zombie slaves are not something that should ever be added. It sounds ridicolous and belongs in The Walking Dead. I mean, cmon man this is fucked up. Maybe it could be possible in real life, but this is NOT something that should be added in Project Zomboid.

But this is just MY opinion.

As I've said before at other suggestion, this could be an excellent and fun mod, but that's it.

I don't feel like the developers should use their precious time and hard work on such a thing as zombie slaves. They're working their ass off already

Hm. I'm obliged to be nice here so I won't go into a long historical lecture about the civil war and the people involved and the rammifications of introducing slavery into a video game in the united states... so I'll just say...

It doesnt change anything. Quarantanine zone is full of killers and rapers

No to zombie slaves. Human slaves should be allowed though.

I will be disappointed if the devs do not allow taking a person hostage and forcing them to work for the community.

Yes! Human hostages could make for some really cool MP stories

There've been two "no"'s and a "wat" and a "cmon man this is fucked up", and a "walking dead much? balance much? a lot of stuff much", and "the civil war and the people involved and the rammifications of introducing slavery into a video game in the united states", and "what project zomboid is all about", and "overpowering zombies so much", and "Human slaves should be allowed though". I will address these cricisms by putting them into categories and arguing against each category.

Yeah man dude much #@!&.

It's unclear but I think he means the U.S.A. hates slavery so much that it can't be in video games. Does the U.S.A hate murder? Can we kill people in video games? Is it better to massacre the whole town or enslave them? I'd rather be a slave than dead. Is it better to spill a zombie's brains all over the floor than to make him a part of my household? I'd rather be a slave than dead. Like Cyrrent said, the purpose of actual voodoo zombies in Africa is slavery.

You are not thinking with a survivor mentality. You may as well have the NPCs tell you about experience points, and give you "quests" that are just simple tasks like killing five weak zombie highwaymen armed with spoons for a yellow leather purse. If you actually wanted to survive, you would be saying "I don't want to die", not "I want to die because I refused to be sensible". You may well destroy a staircase, and collect rain without carpentry, and use chlorine bleach to disinfect water, and think of every pipe as a pipe. Oxygen is overpowered. You don't need to fight zombies to breathe. But that's not a problem. Trees don't fight back and houses don't collapse after a week. It makes sense to me for Joe to be able to do something if it's effective enough (like eating), and feasible enough (like eating) to be worth implementing. If something's incredibly effective and also feasible, then that's not a reason to avoid doing it if you are thinking with a survivor's mindset. Some people playing PZ might want to play as someone who wants to survive.

Hmm as a free mind i say like it is.

If you dont like it just do it not.

The chance to enslave a Zed or to eat dead people or something other like this dont mean that you MUST do this. Is an option an alternative gameplay ... the evil side of PZ.

On the other side i must say i have my borders too ... the possibility of sexual abuse against childs is for example on thing that i want never see in any Videogame what not mean that such (sick) stuff dont exist. (but such stuff has nothing to do with survival)

But i must face the reality too and that i dont like this stuff this mean not that this dont exist. I wish this was so but it wasnt.

The question is not "How you die" the question is "How you life until you die" ... are you this guy who think shot a bullet in the Head will help this poor creatures or will you think wow i get one of this smelly guys and make them my personal muli. At last ... who says that Zeds dont have any sense of justice. Its a silly question but if you take a look on romeros Day of the Dead you will see what i mean.

The Medal of morality has more then two sides ... not only black and white

and when i life somewhere where Slavery or Canibalism is allowed this mean not that i must do this.

In games like Fallout its "normal" to enslave people or hunt them down to eat them.

I dont say its ok but thats life ... the Human Species seems to have a tendency to make the worst things ever happen on this planet.

So i am not here to decide this but if it come to PZ no one said i must do this.

Am I the only one who thought about FSoG while reading this?

UKxb65p.jpg

Putting aside that this would be extremely difficult to implement for MP and the overall game, I think the idea of zombie slavery (Zlavery?) is kind of non-fitting for PZ.

PZ leans more to the side of human necessity and survival instead of human desire. You're not going to die because you have to make one extra run for your main safehouse. Maybe you will, but that was the thrill of the game all along! This is highly effective for keeping the game fresh and flowing instead of forcing people to stay home for a total of 90 hours so you can face the huge wilderness with your 9.000 cabbages and 500 shotgun shells. Kind of like Terraria, but without the magical journey of drifting through the underground that's under your feet. It's just you, a few seed packets, rain collectors and hours of just patrolling your safehouse. Does that seem fun?

Maybe you got tired of the game and you just want to see how far you can go. That's completely alright. Heck, even I did it (lasted a year and a half before dying to a scratch, wohoo!)! If you have, you probably already know that 90% of the game's fun is surviving. Fearing death and the overall early-game. If Zlaves were implemented, that would be damaging this healthy and fun playstyle that we all know and love.

Besides, if you want more carrying capacity, why not just get the strong trait and running full-scavenger with 3 bags equipped? You can't probably need more than that, unless you're dragging the whole warehouse on your back.

There've been two "no"'s and a "wat" and a "cmon man this is fucked up", and a "walking dead much? balance much? a lot of stuff much", and "the civil war and the people involved and the rammifications of introducing slavery into a video game in the united states", and "what project zomboid is all about", and "overpowering zombies so much", and "Human slaves should be allowed though". I will address these cricisms by putting them into categories and arguing against each category.

Yeah man dude much #@!&.

It's unclear but I think he means the U.S.A. hates slavery so much that it can't be in video games. Does the U.S.A hate murder? Can we kill people in video games? Is it better to massacre the whole town or enslave them? I'd rather be a slave than dead. Is it better to spill a zombie's brains all over the floor than to make him a part of my household? I'd rather be a slave than dead. Like Cyrrent said, the purpose of actual voodoo zombies in Africa is slavery.

You are not thinking with a survivor mentality. You may as well have the NPCs tell you about experience points, and give you "quests" that are just simple tasks like killing five weak zombie highwaymen armed with spoons for a yellow leather purse. If you actually wanted to survive, you would be saying "I don't want to die", not "I want to die because I refused to be sensible". You may well destroy a staircase, and collect rain without carpentry, and use chlorine bleach to disinfect water, and think of every pipe as a pipe. Oxygen is overpowered. You don't need to fight zombies to breathe. But that's not a problem. Trees don't fight back and houses don't collapse after a week. It makes sense to me for Joe to be able to do something if it's effective enough (like eating), and feasible enough (like eating) to be worth implementing. If something's incredibly effective and also feasible, then that's not a reason to avoid doing it if you are thinking with a survivor's mindset. Some people playing PZ might want to play as someone who wants to survive.

I dunno why you are talking about "Man thats fuck up", i have done way more fuck up things in other games just to survive or my own amusement (dwarf Fortress,Rimworld, Kenshi and others like Rust with real slavery).

You are speaking of zombie slaves like if they were a big taboo or something and talking about USA with laws against slaves like if that was a big thing in video games.

At the end of the day, i very much doubt that we are going to see zombie slaves in the vanilla game, why? Because balance or maybe the devs dont want that, same as cannibalism, rape, zombie camo or children.

Maybe if they implement horses we get to put bags on the horses and someone is going to mod this so we can use zombies as pack-mules.

Also think about this, you put the hiking bag on the zombie and have him on a leash, you wont be able to run at all because the zombie is slowly following you, put too much weight on the zombie and he will lose balance and fall down, so you would need to go back, pick his ass up, make him follow you again while you are probably getting surrounded by zombies all over the place.

Now that you have a slow-dumb and probably off balance zombie with a short leash that you need to drop if you need to run and also need to keep going back to the zombie, that whole "I will survive this shit mane' thing kinda falls down flat on its face. 

Here's where I come in to throw a wrench in things: In the past, Lemmy seemed favorable to the idea of somehow lasso-ing or capturing zombies, similar to the way it's been done in Walking Dead.

Don't really think it fits, would serve a practical purpose .etc myself, but there you go.

Huh i never read that before, Lemmy really likes TWD then.

I dont think it fits with PZ either, the only practical purpose i could see is either to make a trap somehow with zombies or capture as many zombies as possible and make a zoo for my own amusement. 

Other than that i don't see much of use.

Slavery is by its very definition the concept of owning people (and by extension prob. also other sentient beings, like, for example dragons) as property, so the term "zombie slave" doesn't make a lot of sense. letting a zombie "work" for you would be more akin to cattle. I really don't see ethical problem with that, but I'm afraid it would work as minecraft's redstone and will lead to all kinds of uber gamy OP contraption.

From a realistic POV human slaves probably wouldn't make a lot of sense in post-apocalyptic survival situations you would typically encounter in PZ. It's simply not practical to use your limited resources to maintain a subclass to do the work for you. Ironically slavery is typically a product of more evolved societies, not the hunter gatherer and early agricultural societies of PZ.