Broken Weapons Should Disappear

Svarog

Simple suggestion, if a Weapon type item is broken it should just disappear, it could check if the item is repairable and only keep the ones that can be repaired.

Some weapons like an Axe could break and leave an Axe Head that can be re-used to create a new axe.

I suggest this because it's jarring when you stumble across a stash of 99 broken raw axes and 101 broken forks.

Having it this way would do two things, declutter the world of completely useless and immersion breaking junk with a red X on it and force players to keep their weapons in a good condition or risk being left without any weapon, adding some realism considering that currently one can break an axe on a zombie's head, run away a bit, use some glue and go right back into combat.

Also, there should be a limit on how many times an item can be repaired, I can't help but imagine that after some time, stuff like Baseball Bats and Axes are 99% Wood Glue and 1% Actual Wood/Metal.

It would be nice if when a weapon broke you could still use it but it did less damage and maybe had lower range etc. There could be different stages of broken-

Axe

1. axe head comes off and it becomes a wooden club. (like a baseball bat)

2. Axe handle snaps in half and it becomes a small pointed stick. (stabbing weapon maybe like a knife)

3. Small pointed stick breaks and disappears as if by magic. (a wizard did it)

I like the idea of the weapon disapearing (less clutter), but only if it's dropped on the ground.

The idea about new weapon from broken ones is not bad, but it should allow rebuilding the weapon (as suggested by Svarog).  Alternatively/Additionaly, there could be new builds for weapons (ex.: polearms).

Addenda : yeah for broken knives ;)

you could reuse the same axe head over and over until you die of old age. This would be realistic but probably not a very good game mechanic. If you only ever need one axe then you would never need to go on an exciting quest to find another. You would never choose to use any other weapon to save your axe for chopping wood.

I think they ought to turn into useable scrap, instead of poof. Like you could burn wood, or turn metal into something.

Broken knives IMO should still be useful as metal scrap, like if you could melt it down, or just sharpen the blade.

For the most part I'd like it if items could be repaired or used to make new ones. Like Axe heads.