Blocking

MePhone4S

Upon pressing some key on the keyboard, you go into a defensive state, this state lasts for 3 seconds and slows you down by 75%, and once 3 seconds passes, you can not use the state for 3 seconds. When someone swings their melee at you while you are in this state, it is blocked, and they are slowed by 50% for 2 seconds and can not swing their melee at all for 2 seconds. 

However, the player whose attack was blocked can go into a defensive state and block the opponent's attack, so they are not totally defenseless. 

Also, if you swing at the same time your opponent does, and your melee weapons collide, the attack is blocked and you both are slowed by 25% for 2 seconds and can not swing your melee for 2 seconds.

Blocking on the right mouse button would be good, leaving sneaking to the STRG key. (which could be a toggle instead of momentary)

In TES Oblivion you get to block with the right mouse button too, when being hit on the shield you lose

your guard for a few moments, depending on your fatigue. But you are still able to move slowly. I like that system.

I'd rather see real time blocking instead of a timed stance.  If I see your swing incoming, and I click right at that moment, it would mitigate some of the damage.  I'd like to see the same thing in the form of a dodge or feint.

That is basically what I stated in the OP, except that it makes you take absolutely no damage when you block.

I think the current 'spacebar' shove is more than adequate against zombies for a defensive move.

If I were to attempt to block a zombie attack, what would I be blocking with? My arm? My hammer or hunting knife? I don't like the prospect of either of those. An axe or a baseball bat could be used horizontally to block a zombie and push them back, but we already have that with 'spacebar'. There's no point in blocking a zombie if you can't get yourself some separation from them. They are trying to bite you, not punch or swing an object at you.

In MP during PVP a block could be useful, but again what will you be blocking with? Other than an axe handle or baseball bat not much would be useful. Maybe a metal trash can lid? I would much rather see some sort of dodging/sidestepping, feinting, or counter attacking.