Useless items

FabulousShawn

I think there should be more useless items and sprites to make the world unique. You wouldn't find just canned food in a drawer though. Paper towels, plates, dish washer soap, napkins, ect... Are just some things you would find In a kitchen. And before anyone says use a mod, I do use hydro craft but I would like some more non mod items. What do you guys think?

I disagree. Keep the useless items to the mods, that's what they and the workshop are there for.

The devs are better off working on the engine to create the mechanics that allow mods like this and others to be made (which is also a sad point of criticism for them eg OMG why hasn't indiestone added this to the game but a mod has?!?!

While I agree, I feel like the devs have higher priority things to work on at the moment. On the other hand, and possibly slightly unrelated to this topic in particular, I feel like they should check out Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead and take some notes :P

While I agree, I feel like the devs have higher priority things to work on at the moment. On the other hand, and possibly slightly unrelated to this topic in particular, I feel like they should check out Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead and take some notes :P

well of course the devs have way higher priority in the animation and sound, I just hope they add some useless things someday like how they did in build 32.

I disagree. Keep the useless items to the mods, that's what they and the workshop are there for.

The devs are better off working on the engine to create the mechanics that allow mods like this and others to be made (which is also a sad point of criticism for them eg OMG why hasn't indiestone added this to the game but a mod has?!?!

I completely disagree with this - there are many 'flavor' items in the game to begin with and just wouldn't make sense to leave items like plates out of existence.

I like flavor items, maybe some of them will have subtle uses like 'fire fuel' and little comfort things.

I'm only for the rare inclusion of junk mods (e.g. Spiffo plushy), otherwise inventory navigation and balancing of items becomes a bit of a pain.

Plates don't have to be useless (even though they don't exist): break one, wrap a shard in ducktape and earn yourself a poor quality / fragile knife, or give he player small happiness bonus when eating with one; use it as a makeshift cooking utensil .etc

I M O useless trash should have some use. I posted about it recently.

Clothes with more features, toys and games and CD players to fight boredom, soap for cleaning, parfum for use the alcohol in it as whiskey or just to avoid zombis stink (related to some guys suggestion about a moodle of rotten smelling), rotten food to compost (again, some suggestion about compost bin), Otherwise the trash will became only the pain in the ass in the inventory. 

Personally I use this crappy useless items as tags in the looted places, anyway.

... otherwise inventory navigation and balancing of items becomes a bit of a pain.

Personally, I think that is exactly the reason that they should be included! Hear me out...

Right now, you hop into a kitchen and throw open all of the cupboards - you immediately see two knives, a few cans and a gun. You grab them and run in seconds - no problem. Personally, I think that needing to scan through junk items (simulating searching cupboards that are actually full) would add that extra tension. Zombies at the door and need a weapon? If you open any given cupboard in a strangers house, chances are that your not going to immediately know if there's anything useful there without looking.

That, and if the items are there, perhaps there might be some minor uses for them, like burning socks or something.

... otherwise inventory navigation and balancing of items becomes a bit of a pain.

Personally, I think that is exactly the reason that they should be included! Hear me out...

Right now, you hop into a kitchen and throw open all of the cupboards - you immediately see two knives, a few cans and a gun. You grab them and run in seconds - no problem. Personally, I think that needing to scan through junk items (simulating searching cupboards that are actually full) would add that extra tension. Zombies at the door and need a weapon? If you open any given cupboard in a strangers house, chances are that your not going to immediately know if there's anything useful there without looking.

That, and if the items are there, perhaps there might be some minor uses for them, like burning socks or something.

Including all of the items from daily life pre-infection makes the game more immersive. The added bonus of forcing the player to actually look harder at the inventories he/she is looting is a great bonus

Plates don't have to be useless (even though they don't exist): break one, wrap a shard in ducktape and earn yourself a poor quality / fragile knife, or give he player small happiness bonus when eating with one; use it as a makeshift cooking utensil .etc

Plates could make a great throwing weapon/distraction.  You ever hear a plate shatter? Loud AF.

I'm only for the rare inclusion of junk mods (e.g. Spiffo plushy), otherwise inventory navigation and balancing of items becomes a bit of a pain.

Or use it as a plate.

Or use it as a plate.

/THREAD.  You just won the internet sir.

50 foot (15 meter) extension cords, CAT 5 cable, Christmas lights, etc, would make excellent "other" items that you could loot that could find a use as something else.  Gee Whiz, if I has one of those huge rolls of CAT 5 cable that you can find at the hardware store, I could make CAT 5 ladders, CAT 5 fences, CAT 5 ropes, CAT 5 morning stars (maybe make the spiked ball part out of broken plates and duct tape), CAT 5 hammocks, CAT 5 nooses, CAT 5 jump ropes, CAT 5 CAT 6...

...Christmas lights...

It would be great flavor to be able to light up my house with Christmas lights during winter.  You know, give me a goal to strive for... something to stave off boredom which is my #1 Winter killer.

Hydrocraft has Christmas trees, but yes I would love items similar to that

Memories...  :D

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4519-more-useless-stuff/?p=60345

To address EnigmaGrey's concerns, you could have an Advanced Stuff sandbox setting. I like the added challenges with looting that sifting through stuff creates as LewisDTC notes. Although I'd prefer items to have a range of usefulness - less useful to more useful. Nothing adds to the stress of looking through a cabinet of stuff like the sun setting and zombies approaching. "Oh shit, I got too greedy! I can barely move!"

On the other hand, I agree this would be a significant annoyance to large portion of players. I'm weird. I think mods will suffice though. As Hydro would probably attest, we need some crazy sprite making savant to join the community and literally make a sprite for everything that could possibly be found in Kentucky.

There's plenty of good mods for this, and with the steam workshop integration downloading them is easier than ever.

There's the litter mod which is one of my favorites, and Hydrocraft ADDS a shit ton of everything other the sun. There's even different types of cigarettes!