Hitting zombies with cars should make you loose velocity

clankill3r

I know cars aren't there yet but I just like to think about things :)

I really hope you loose velocity when driving into zombies. Hitting single zombies should not be such a problem. But hitting a big group could then make the car stop. Also hitting zombies should affect the steering velocity. So you think twice about driving over a zombie cause you might hit that tree next...

I also hope cars have a certain weight. So the heavier the car the better suited for hitting zombies. And a van would be great so the zombies get under the van instead of smacking threw your windshield when you drive over them :)

Yes, zombies should indeed slow down the car, or make it steer away from it's ongoing path, however I do not think that it should be damaged by it in such a great deal that it would break down the vehicle, or injure your character.

I hated that in Dead Island. The car frame should be able to withstand a zombie, considering a zombie is rotten and fragile. If you can destroy a zombie's skull with a wooden baseballbat, how should a car not be able to withstand a zombie.

If they make vehicles take damage, I sure hope it's very little. Please don't do what Dead Island did.

Yes, zombies should indeed slow down the car, or make it steer away from it's ongoing path, however I do not think that it should be damaged by it in such a great deal that it would break down the vehicle, or injure your character.

I hated that in Dead Island. The car frame should be able to withstand a zombie, considering a zombie is rotten and fragile. If you can destroy a zombie's skull with a wooden baseballbat, how should a car not be able to withstand a zombie.

If they make vehicles take damage, I sure hope it's very little. Please don't do what Dead Island did.

Very much this.

That's not how physics works. Zombies are still a solid mass with weight roughly equivalent to that of a humans. At car travel speeds, it's not relevant whether the mass is "fragile" or not, which is why hitting a bunch of water bottles stacked together can easily total a car, or why falling into water from heights can be lethal. Cars get totaled every single day by deer that are roughly the same weight as human beings.

Edit: Source for collisions with deer, leading to hundreds of death a year and billions in property damage ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer%E2%80%93vehicle_collisions )

Edit: Source for the deer most commonly found in the southern US, including their weight being considerably less than that of a human, on average ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_deer )

Very much this.

It depends on speed though, we've got cars that get total'd from hitting deers, it doesn't matter if it was a bag of water, or a concrete wall if you move fast enough. Like if you jump from a cruise ship or a bridge into the water you get paste'd from the impact.

That's not how physics works. Zombies are still a solid mass with weight roughly equivalent to that of a humans. At car travel speeds, it's not relevant whether the mass is "fragile" or not, which is why hitting a bunch of water bottles stacked together can easily total a car, or why falling into water from heights can be lethal. Cars get totaled every single day by deer that are roughly the same weight as human beings.

Edit: Source for collisions with deer, leading to hundreds of death a year and billions in property damage ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer%E2%80%93vehicle_collisions )

Edit: Source for the deer most commonly found in the southern US, including their weight being considerably less than that of a human, on average ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_deer )

Well, then I hope there's at least a mod, or preferably, a sandbox option for vehicle durability.

Cars = Noise = Zombies

Cars + Glass = Low ramming capability

Most roads are blocked by hordes so IMO you would only be able to use a car once or twice to go from town to town, unless you manage to wall off the roads, and keep the zed count low. 

Now I wouldn't mind it if you could increase the durability with welded sheet metal, and such. As well as perform repairs.

Bruh.. makin' suggestions before the feature is even out.. You guys are really excited about those cars aren't you? xD

Knowing how difficult Project Zomboid strives to be, and how realistic it is in some ways, my only worry about these cars is if they'll even be practical to use. Maybe they'll be too hard to repair, or they'll require too much freaking fuel, and we know they'll attract more zombies than can be dealt with.

I'm worried they'll be like guns after the RPG skills revamp. Guns were already somewhat useless, and then they made it even more difficult for your character to hit his or her target consistently without leveling up really far. So basically, every gun is useless except the shotgun unless you are at a ridiculously high level, and you attract 10 times the zombies than what your character can actually shoot. They also make killing anything IMPOSSIBLE if you are in pain or afraid, even if you are right in front of them with a shotgun. I was doing a last stand with a shotgun one time, and simply because my character was mildly winded from running and in some pain because of the bite, he didn't kill a SINGLE zombie with 30 rounds, all of which shot at zombies really close. They just did the thing where they back up, never even falling down. If you point and squeeze with a SHOTGUN from point blank to 5 feet away, no amount of fear or pain can prevent you from mowing that person down.

I'm worried that, in their attempts to be realistic, the cars won't be practical. Just a different way of looking at it I guess. :)

The beauty of PZ is that it doesn't make adjustments to feel more game-y.

Cars can't hit heavy things and shrug it off, especially at high speed. Just because you want to be able to run over zombies as an effective way of killing them, doesn't mean it should be in the game. We all WANT to bring thousands of bullets to the mall and gun down/smash the skulls of every zombie around Left 4 Dead 2 style, but it would ruin the game.

Yeah, let's run over hundreds of zeds and wonder why the engine suddenly stopped while the front radiator looks more like a BBQ that's been left alone for too long than an actual cooling device xD

Back to some seriousness, before even wondering if I can use cars to roam into zeds, I'm wondering how TIS will make that a viable system. Hopefully, cars will be rare, noisy and annoying as hell. I think you should feel a sense of achievement if you ever succeed to go from point A to point B withouth any unplanned events ^^

It should be more about what makes the game fun, rather than being "realistic." Sure, hitting a deer can mess up your car and that's often because they are relatively high speed impacts. A car being "totaled" is more often about if it's cost effective to repair it than it actually being made inoperable due to damage.

A lower speed rolling over zombies would produce far less damage to your car. Certain vehicles, like trucks with heavy duty bumpers and police cars with pit bars on the front would fair much better than some regular family sedan. Also vehicles with high ground clearance(trucks, jeeps, large SUVs) would be more likely to roll over zombies than bump them over the hood and cause windshield damage.

Sure, you want to have a semblance of reality but it has to be about what better adds to the game as a whole. Too much or too little and it's bad. You'd think that they would more likely get crippled and knocked down than outright killed due the lack of head focused damage. If you hit a crowd, perhaps the few at the front of the pack would likely be killed on impact while the ones behind just get maimed or knocked over.

Cars can't hit heavy things and shrug it off, especially at high speed. Just because you want to be able to run over zombies as an effective way of killing them, doesn't mean it should be in the game. We all WANT to bring thousands of bullets to the mall and gun down/smash the skulls of every zombie around Left 4 Dead 2 style, but it would ruin the game.

This is what I'm hoping for.

In my mind, this sort of situation would leave you with very few options if you chose to use a car -- from blocked up roads, to just being unable to (and unknowledgable enough) to start up a vechile. Catalcysm DDA does a good job of this.

This is what I'm hoping for.

In my mind, this sort of situation would leave you with very few options if you chose to use a car -- from blocked up roads, to just being unable to (and unknowledgable enough) to start up a vechile. Catalcysm DDA does a good job of this.

It isn't so much that players shouldn't be able to use cars- anyone can start up a car. Its about realism: in the start of the game, cars should be everywhere, and in good shape. However, if you hit and kill 2-3 zeds on impact, it should be time for drastic repairs (or finding another vehicle).

Over long periods of time when the car is not being started, the tires will need inflation, the battery will die, the engine will need work in general- just like real life.

Lets not forget that this game is set in the 90's as well, cars needed a lot more work back then.

Lets not forget that this game is set in the 90's as well, cars needed a lot more work back then.

Not really because they had a lot less electronics than cars today. Following the "less parts - more reliability" rule they were less prone to failure. If there was an EMP attack or really severe solar storm only vehicles with no electronics would still be able to start. Pretty much every vehicle with a carburetor.

To be more precise check this:

VW Golf MK1 5-door weight is 830 kg

but

VW Golf MK6 5-door weight is ~1250 kg

a bit chunk of that are electronics:

- traction control systems, ABS, computers, electric windows, fuel injection systems, engine control systems, sensors, seat adjustment systems etc. etc. etc. - many of those systems are vital to get the engine/vehicle operating.

Also:

Cars back then had significantly less plastic parts under the hood (or bonnet) as well. Plastic gets brittle and breaks over time. Metal is solid until you let it rust basically.

Keep in mind, also, manual transmission cars (much more common in the early 90's) are vastly easier to work on as well due to both the simplicity and the extra room under the hood.

Haha yeah, car's motors these days feels like they're designed to be kept away from. Same goes with any motor vehicle really. Mopeds are just the same.

ROFL

Its true, modern cars last much, much longer than their older counterparts without regular maintenance. They don't break as much, but the repairs are more costly.

Part of the reason older generations know so much more about car maintenance and repair is because a few years ago, they were more than just hobbies.

Electronic parts on new cars can actually completely lock a car down, or put it into "cripple mode" (puts a really low cap on revs and speed) if they go bad. Electronics are much more likely to be a fault point than mechanical pieces.

Further, automatic transmissions are much more complex than manual transmissions and tend to break more frequently. Many more (and more complicated) moving parts. Stuff like CRV transmissions can go bad and even normal mechanics can't fix them.

If we were talking 60's/70's you'd be right, but we're not. Car longevity topped out somewhere around 90's/00's era (assuming no professional maintenance available), specifically well-built manual transmission cars.

Yeah, let's run over hundreds of zeds and wonder why the engine suddenly stopped while the front radiator looks more like a BBQ that's been left alone for too long than an actual cooling device xD

Bingo!

This is the number one thing that is going to stop your car. Its not the tires, the suspension, the frame, the transmission, the engine (directly) etc. Its the radiator. Go ahead a fortify your windows, you're gonna need it :)

I can not think of a single common civilian vehicle from the 90's that does not have a front mounted radiator. They are also not the most durable of things.

Speaking of the deer discussions; I used to live in a rural part of NY (during the 90s) that has a lot of deer. During that time I worked part-time in an auto-body/collision shop. I can not remember a single car that came in after a full frontal deer collision that did not require replacing the radiator. Based on my experience, I can only assume that hitting a zombie or two will have the same effect.

It won't stop your car immediately, but it won't last for long. This will probably fall in the realism vs game-play argument.