The zombie system is a plain annoyance

Dragonbahn

You mean to tell me that you haven't programmed in circulatory systems that get infected when you are bitten and that the delay of transition isn't from some sort of programmed virus that infects every cell in your body over a period of time depending on how strong the AI immune system is? And that if I get cut or shot that I can't just eat my way back to health 1/4 of a bag of chips at a time?

What is this, a school for ants?

I think that system is fine and can work so damn well, but there is issue with numbers. Before we had that system all of us wanted new zeds that appears at our base. We all wanted it but not every single day. There is a difference in:

1) im comming back from loot run and "oh shit thers a horde"

2) ok my bags are full now i need to kill that new horde at base that spawns every day.

I dont play survival for that reason BUT i found solution for myself in sandbox. I lowered migration and respawn rate to 5-7 days. The new zesd still appears but its more an event than every day routine.

For those who dont like the survival settings, try my sandbox options.

The new respawn system is something I really don't like. There are packs of 15ish zombies spawning in really close proximity to one another. Its abit over the top un-realistic. I don't mind big bunches of zombies, but it's making the game abit boring in my view :\

Love the game though!

Yeah, I hope they make it possible to thin out the herds of zombies, which currently isn't really possible.

It is. You'll figure it out in time.

The new respawn system is something I really don't like. There are packs of 15ish zombies spawning in really close proximity to one another. Its abit over the top un-realistic. I don't mind big bunches of zombies, but it's making the game abit boring in my view :\

Love the game though!

Zombies respawn at a rate of 10% for a 300 x 300 area every 16 hours. Before that is activated, the area has to b eunseen for about half a day in-game. It'd take 5-6 days for a cell to fully repopulate, if you never visited it.

Yeah, I hope they make it possible to thin out the herds of zombies, which currently isn't really possible.

What Enigma was trying to say was reducing rally group size and increasing rally group radius and separation should thin them out a bit :)

3kb9oYp.png

Those are some really great options!

(I haven't played since like, Build 29. It's new to me, alright?)

EDIT:

So if you wanted to make it so that zombies only came in from the "edge" of the map, you could:

- turn up the Respawn Unseen hours super high

- turn down the redistribute hours

- turn up the respawn rate

The "edge" of the map would effectively become the parts you haven't visited, and they would redistribute zombies from there and respawn them fairly quickly. Then anything you found back at an area you've cleared would be zombies that migrated in from another cell. Right?

Edited by f3rret

What Enigma was trying to say was reducing rally group size and increasing rally group radius and separation should thin them out a bit :)

3kb9oYp.png

Those are some really great options!

(I haven't played since like, Build 29. It's new to me, alright?)

New to me too xD

Some of it is starting to make sense :)

Survival was always my favourite to play, but currently the game seems to care for the zombie density map too much and seems to always try to spread them out everywhere equally. I kill a zombie group and the next day or sooner another herd has taken it's place. That's not at all realistic or fun. All the groups also are about equally apart, which makes the landscape boring and looting impossible. It's like the zombies are all standing watch, trying to spot you. They also love to just pick a random house, fuck it up and then leave. There are no sound events which triggered this and I wasn't involved.

The new system also severly limits, what safe houses you can have. Because the zombie density seemingly never is allowed change you are forced into very few locations to be able to have a relativly safe base which isn't constantly attacked by zombies because they randomly walked into a boarded up window and currently never lose interest and not having to walk the better part of the day to loot something. Currently you are basically forced to always reside in the most upper house in West Point because all the others are impossible to defend, even if you never make any noise or give any clue to your existance. In most of my playthroughs in which I didn't use this safe house I have to use half a day everyday to reduce zombie numbers.

In my ideal world there should be a realistic amount of zombies in both Muldraugh and West Point, not a mass we have now. After day 20 or so zombies would spread out into the countryside on their search for flesh. Huge hordes would slowly waltz along the highways out of the cities picking up or dropping off smaller hordes. They would slowly go along the withering roads and  if they see something or hear something, they should come down with all of their force.

3kb9oYp.png

No, you can kill and lure zombies even with default survival settings, to a meaningful conclusion: you just need to be persistant and regularly patrol your area. It's possible already, but difficult.

3kb9oYp.png

No, you can kill and lure zombies even with default survival settings, to a meaningful conclusion: you just need to be persistant and regularly patrol your area. It's possible already, but difficult.
This is not about you. I simply helped him do what you have been telling us all to do. Play the sandbox!

This is not about you. I simply helped him do what you have been telling us all to do. Play the sandbox!

Ain't about you or our disagreement, either. RedKrypton can effect the change he desires in survival if he chooses to do so: that is, it is already possible to thin the zombies, but it takes some effort and daily patrols. Or he can just change the sandbox settings and not have to deal with it at all.

Ain't about you or our disagreement, either. RedKrypton can effect the change he desires in survival if he chooses to do so: that is, it is already possible tot hin the zombies, but it takes some effort and daily patrols. Or he can just change the sandbox settings and not have to deal with it at all.

My issue is that there is no dynamic. Zombies never leave their zone. Why for example would there be thousands of zombies in West Point after 3-5 months? They are looking for prey, aren't they? With time cities should become less crowded and the surroundings should become less safe. If you have your base outside the main spawn area you will never get attacked. You would have to lead a horde to your base yourselve. Currently The zombies just get more and more in the city but stay largly the same outside of it.

I figure such things will be solved once NPCs get introduced. Zombies will get all sorts of spread out chasing after all the new tasty food noms. I imagine the zombie herding mechanic of gunshots in the distance would be more satisfying when you actually know someone is about to get eaten and can even potentially see it happen from your window.

I figure such things will be solved once NPCs get introduced. Zombies will get all sorts of spread out chasing after all the new tasty food noms. I imagine the zombie herding mechanic of gunshots in the distance would be more satisfying when you actually know someone is about to get eaten and can even potentially see it happen from your window.

Yea. Once dragons get implemented stuff will probably balance a bit better.

I dunno, i keep ending up in situations like this: http://www.twitch.tv/ocoini/v/23357153 . Where Im dodging zombies constantly and running into a new pack once i manage to lose one. (Could you make fire kill zombies faster please ? )

I've tried using a gun and luring them away by shooting far away as well, but didnt do so in this video, as once i finally managed to reach my "stacks" of items i thought I had it under controll and forgot to get ammo for my pistol. Shooting a gun far away seems to be the best way to make them move away for a time though..

The spreading of fireplaces and luring the zombies tactics (which I sort of failed abit at in this video as I got caught ;) seems to be the only way to clear out a large enough pack.

In another save of mine I burned down my base doing this though =)

here's a massive zombie burning with gunfire in middle, but there are still zombie respawns everywhere ;(

http://www.twitch.tv/ocoini/v/23575014

Yeah, I used to only play survival, since the spawning changes I have just changed the respawn settings on sandbox and kept the rest as it is. (Apart from making the day 1 hour long instead of half an hour.) It seems ok if you are only staying by your base, but when you head out for a few days and come back to almost as many zombies as there were at the start, it seems pretty crazy.