An additional less aggressive looking sneak. (MP, NPCs)

BoogieMan

I think it would benefit the game to have a new sneak mode/button implemented instead of just tying it to aiming an attack or being forced to unequip all weapons.

It will probably feel more intuitive to new players, but more to show intent in multiplayer games as well as when NPCs are implemented. By that I mean right now when you sneak - you look aggressive. Either pointing a gun or readying a melee swing.

What if you just want to be sneaking around, and appear to be doing just that? Even were I playing a typically non-aggressive person in multiplayer, seeing someone moving towards you or popping into the room you're in looking like that might make you want to just shoot them on the spot or assume they have aggressive intent.

One of the main problems that similar games (loosely in concept) like Day Z is that MP often degenerates into free for all death match where the zombies are just background noise and a nuisance, while players do nothing but kill each other on sight. I'm not saying a change like this would prevent that, but it couldn't hurt. If I'm trying to just stay safe from zombies I'd rather not look like to other people that I'm plotting to murder them. :)

IMO most people would have weapons ready to be cautious

If you want a non agressive sneak then just remove weapons from your hand your char will waddle around like a penguin.

Though I would like a crawl, and crouch option. 

Like I said though, you shouldn't have to remove your weapons. Simply holding them is different than going around pointing your gun everywhere.

• 1 month later...

IMO most people would have weapons ready to be cautious

If you want a non agressive sneak then just remove weapons from your hand your char will waddle around like a penguin.

Though I would like a crawl, and crouch option. 

I'd like to have a crawl or crouch option in PZ, too. At least it can allow me to hide behind a parapet or something like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im more that sure that this will be a part of animation update around build 34.

So, would it be just new looking of sneak movement? Or it will give us more choice for sneak action?

For example, there could be two kinds of sneak actions: standing sneak and crawling sneak.

Players can attack while they are standing. But they can also be spotted behind a fence.

Players cannot attack while they are crawling. But they can hide behind a fence, while crawling.

BTW, A sneaking crawling will cause much less noise compare to non-sneaking crawling, but the sneaking one will have movement speed penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would benefit the game to have a new sneak mode/button implemented instead of just tying it to aiming an attack or being forced to unequip all weapons.

It will probably feel more intuitive to new players, but more to show intent in multiplayer games as well as when NPCs are implemented. By that I mean right now when you sneak - you look aggressive. Either pointing a gun or readying a melee swing.

I agree with you.

Have no weapon equipped to appear non-aggressive.

*Holds fire axe, can beat you to death at any time with it, but really isn't threatening because of stance.* :/ No, I think I'd prefer you put the axe down.

Have no weapon equipped to appear non-aggressive.

*Holds fire axe, can beat you to death at any time with it, but really isn't threatening because of stance.* :/ No, I think I'd prefer you put the axe down.

It's also because it's awkward looking, moving in such as stance all the time even if you know there is nothing immediately nearby to prepare to attack, yet you still want to move quietly. Preparing to imminently attack and sneaking should not really be the same thing. Also, walking towards someone simply holding it at your side is NOT the same thing as walking someone with it held up, back and ready to swing.

You can go to a hardware store, and carry an axe to the register to buy it just fine. But trying walking around like you're sneaking in PZ and the police will be coming.

It's simply not the same, at all.

Yet, carrying that axe around on the street, in the open, would likely result in bad things. Context matters. In PZ, the context is no longer civilized: you're carrying a weapon used to brain zombies and survivors a-like, no one's going to know your intentions just by looking at you.

Context still applies to human players. Not everyone is a psychopathic murder than plans to kill everyone in sight.

Still doesn't make it look any less awkward and I can't think of another game where sneak and attack was the same function. I still think it would be nice to have the two controls separate, and perhaps a toggle for stealth that would automatically be turned off if you did something that isn't allowed while sneaking. Meh..

Context still applies to human players. Not everyone is a psychopathic murder than plans to kill everyone in sight.

But they're certainly much more likely to be in PZ's world -- they certainly are currently online. If they have a weapon in hand, then they have the ability to do you harm, quickly and unpredictabiliy.

If I were sneaking, I'd bend slightly to reduce the amount of noise I made as I walk. You know, at the knees. Keep my legs apart so that they don't brush together. A creep.

Nonchalantly walking around doesn't look that sneaky to me. And it wouldn't sound sneaky, either. A zombie could hear you coming, heck, anything would if you weren't even trying. While it's not visually implemented, it will be, and the sneaking that we've got now is placeholder(I hope).

That's the realistic side of things, though. I think the current posture for sneaking is too conspicuous, but the developers know that. I wouldn't suggest this because it's already being worked on, right? The cover system. Sneaking with a weapon would also be fine, but you'd need good posture to sneak without being flexed constantly. Something fluid and comfortable, but also careful and quiet. You wouldn't want it held out, ready to swing...because it might bump into stuff, and it'd make more noise. Maybe right BEFORE you're actually attacking something.

But they're certainly much more likely to be in PZ's world -- they certainly are currently online. If they have a weapon in hand, then they have the ability to do you harm, quickly and unpredictabiliy.

No no, that aspect wouldn't change at all with my suggestion, either way you'd still show what you have in hand. What would change is being able to sneak without waving a gun or axe around. If sneaking was different from preparing to attack, it would:

1: Look more natural, instead of walking around awkwardly all the time

2: Separate two controls that, in my opinion, shouldn't be one in the same

3: Most importantly provide more accurate information to the observing players. If you're sneaking, you'd just be lightly stepping, weapon held in a neutral way. You can see they are simply sneaking. When charging/aiming an attack, the weapon raised like it does now. Intent is now known to all observers, an attack is being readied.

It's as much as a cosmetic improvement as it is an informational improvement.