Wearing Containers

Mose

Can someone check this for me? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I don't actually know much about coding.

I'm attempting to make "tactical clothing" or "cargo clothing." I basically want to make it so the clothing I add has storage. To do this I attempted to give containers with "CanBeEquipped = Top" the ability to be right clicked for the Wear context menu option. I tried to base it off of the back equipable items but make it so they get equipped to the clothing slots instead of the back slot.

So far here is what I've done. 

I've also attached the files if that makes things easier.

module Test{    item TacticalVest	{		Palettes	=	Vest_Black,		BodyLocation	=	Top,		PalettesStart	=	Vest_,		Type	=	Container,		Temperature	=	5,		SpriteName	=	Vest,		DisplayName	=	Tactical Vest,		Icon	=	Vest,        Capacity = 10,        WeightReduction = 75,        CanBeEquipped = Top,	}    }

I've modified "ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.lua" (around line 330)

if instanceof(testItem, "InventoryContainer") and testItem:canBeEquipped() == "Top" then			canBeEquippedTop = true;        end        if instanceof(testItem, "InventoryContainer") and testItem:canBeEquipped() == "Bottoms" then			canBeEquippedBottom = true;        end    if canBeEquippedTop and not unequip and not getSpecificPlayer(player):getClothingItem_Torso() then		context:addOption(getText("ContextMenu_Wear"), items, ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.onWearItems, player);	end    if canBeEquippedBottom and not unequip and not getSpecificPlayer(player):getClothingItem_Legs() then		context:addOption(getText("ContextMenu_Wear"), items, ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.onWearItems, player);	end

Then changed "ISWearClothing.lua" (around line 27)

function ISWearClothing:perform()    self.item:getContainer():setDrawDirty(true);    self.item:setJobDelta(0.0);	if instanceof(self.item, "InventoryContainer") and self.item:canBeEquipped() == "Back" then		self.character:setClothingItem_Back(self.item);		getPlayerData(self.character:getPlayerNum()).playerInventory:refreshBackpacks();	elseif        instanceof(self.item, "InventoryContainer") and self.item:canBeEquipped() == "Top" then		self.character:setClothingItem_Torso(self.item);		getPlayerData(self.character:getPlayerNum()).playerInventory:refreshBackpacks();	elseif        instanceof(self.item, "InventoryContainer") and self.item:canBeEquipped() == "Bottoms" then		self.character:setClothingItem_Legs(self.item);		getPlayerData(self.character:getPlayerNum()).playerInventory:refreshBackpacks();	else		if self.item:getBodyLocation() == ClothingBodyLocation.Top then			self.character:setClothingItem_Torso(self.item);		elseif self.item:getBodyLocation() == ClothingBodyLocation.Shoes then			self.character:setClothingItem_Feet(self.item);		elseif self.item:getBodyLocation() == ClothingBodyLocation.Bottoms then			self.character:setClothingItem_Legs(self.item);		end	end	self.character:initSpritePartsEmpty();	triggerEvent("OnClothingUpdated", self.character)--~ 	self.character:SetClothing(self.item:getBodyLocation(), self.item:getSpriteName(), self.item:getPalette());    -- needed to remove from queue / start next.	ISBaseTimedAction.perform(self);end

TacticalClothing.zip

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Well, it might be usefull to explain what it is that does go wrong, and in what way it isn't working. Error, crash, not doing anything, only working sometimes, it's not showing x on y, etc. If it gives an error, show us what error is in your log.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Well, it might be usefull to explain what it is that does go wrong, and in what way it isn't working. Error, crash, not doing anything, only working sometimes, it's not showing x on y, etc. If it gives an error, show us what error is in your log.

Right sorry. 

With what I've done so far, I think the TacticalVest should have the context menu option "Wear" but it doesn't. I didn't receive any errors though.

Right sorry. 

With what I've done so far, I think the TacticalVest should have the context menu option "Wear" but it doesn't. I didn't receive any errors though.

Okay. First of all, testItem shouldn't be at line 330, line 330 is a different function that doesn't have that variable. it should be at line 140.

Right sorry. 

Okay. First of all, testItem shouldn't be at line 330, line 330 is a different function that doesn't have that variable. it should be at line 140.

Sorry! They are actually at different places in the file. I just pasted in what I added to those files so I wasn't pasting hundreds of lines of code. If you end up looking in the files I attached, I added "--TacticalClothing" before the lines I added so they can easily be found. 

When I finally got a container item into the torso slot, I got this error repeatedly. 

-----------------------------------------
STACK TRACE
Callframe at: setClothingItem_Torso
function: perform -- file: ISWearClothing.lua line # 58
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.caller.MethodCaller.call(MethodCaller.java:61)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaInvoker.call(LuaJavaInvoker.java:199)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaInvoker.call(LuaJavaInvoker.java:189)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.callJava(KahluaThread.java:182)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:983)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1727)
at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:72)
at zombie.characters.CharacterTimedActions.LuaTimedActionNew.perform(LuaTimedActionNew.java:74)
at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.update(IsoGameCharacter.java:8667)
at zombie.characters.IsoPlayer.update(IsoPlayer.java:2708)
at zombie.iso.IsoCell.ProcessObjects(IsoCell.java:1336)
at zombie.iso.IsoCell.update(IsoCell.java:5164)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.update(IsoWorld.java:2354)
at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.update(IngameState.java:1216)
at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:101)
at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:636)
at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1187)
at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:991)
at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:168)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing
at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.setClothingItem_Torso(IsoGameCharacter.java:1622)
... 25 more
Oct 22, 2015 11:22:36 AM zombie.GameWindow run
SEVERE: null
java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing
at zombie.characters.IsoPlayer.save(IsoPlayer.java:908)
at zombie.iso.IsoCell.savePlayer(IsoCell.java:5357)
at zombie.GameWindow.savePlayer(GameWindow.java:1731)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.render(IsoWorld.java:2043)
at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.renderframe(IngameState.java:769)
at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.render(IngameState.java:913)
at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.render(GameStateMachine.java:37)
at zombie.GameWindow.render(GameWindow.java:685)
at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1193)

Does "java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing" mean it's currently impossible?

When I finally got a container item into the torso slot, I got this error repeatedly. 

STACK TRACE

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.caller.MethodCaller.call(MethodCaller.java:61)

at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaInvoker.call(LuaJavaInvoker.java:199)

at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaInvoker.call(LuaJavaInvoker.java:189)

at zombie.characters.CharacterTimedActions.LuaTimedActionNew.perform(LuaTimedActionNew.java:74)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing

at zombie.characters.IsoGameCharacter.setClothingItem_Torso(IsoGameCharacter.java:1622)

... 25 more

java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing

Does "java.lang.ClassCastException: zombie.inventory.types.InventoryContainer cannot be cast to zombie.inventory.types.Clothing" mean it's currently impossible?

There is no such thing as impossible in coding. "Impossible" is a term used to describe a situation where "something takes more effort and time than it's worth". Your error means the item type "Clothing" is the only 'java object class' that can be equiped on the torso etc in the way your code currently works.

STACK TRACE

... 25 more

There is no such thing as impossible in coding. "Impossible" is a term used to describe a situation where "something takes more effort and time than it's worth". Your error means the item type "Clothing" is the only 'java object class' that can be equiped on the torso etc in the way your code currently works.

I was just curious if that particular error that was caused by something I can't modify through lua.  :-D The only reason I thought that might be the case is that the game became unresponsive while repeatedly giving that error. So far I've only had minor non-game-crashing bugs. 

If it does prove to be something that you can't modify using LUA, it may still be possible with some creativity... Say, an invisible, weightless container item in the player's inventory (or perhaps referenced only in the player's modData?) along with an associated clothing item that has the invisible container's contents' weight attributed to it.

When the clothing item is equipped, equip the container as well, and adjust the clothing item's weight to reflect the container's weight reduction factor.

When the clothing item is removed, unequip the container and update the clothing item to remove the weight reduction factor adjustment.

Of course, you'd have to adjust the clothing item's weight every time items are moved in and out of the invisible container, as well.

I'm not sure if this exact approach is plausible, just giving an example of a creative solution ;)

I am still working on something similar to this. I would like to go through the player's inventory and compare the modData of each item to something. 

If possible I'd like to do something like this for each item in the inventory

if item.getModData().foo = foo then    return true;end

How would I go about it?