Power Sub-stations/Water Distribution Stations

Artinnio

I think it could be cool to have Power sub-stations/Water distribution stations or water plants/power plants in the game area and when the power/water gets turned off you could try and turn it back on?

Maybe have the national guard/army/SEAL team 6/whatever protecting the stations? Or whenever you turn it on there's a chance the government will come back to switch them off/sabotage the buildings?

The professions could be worked into it too, so like, an electrician could try and turn the power back on, but wouldn't be able to work the water system, etc.

+1/2
i don't like the part where army tries to sabotage the building, it doesn't make sense to me, BUT

i love the idea of sub plants that we can try to reactivate, even thoug it should be HARD AS HELL, i mean, we'd need at least one or two high skills and some really rare components to balance this out, and the place would need constant mantainance and maybe some kind of fuel, but i love that, like i loved the mill idea some times ago.

that said, you gave me an idea:
main water and eletric plants like physical places in the map, protected by the army, so that it's not a random number deciding when the power cuts off, but it's the physical (unavoidable) death of soldiers and technicians in there. of course it's a dragon-related suggestion, but this would add so much to the game. also, people could rush up there but the military should be hostile to them so that you can't keep the plants working over time, and they should be scripted to do something like ending their food supplies and leaving the place for good with the elicopter, or going mad and killing each other or something that prevents them from running the plant forever

We've been throwing around a similar idea over at Zeek's Haven.

I think it could work really in multiplayer as a series of admin-backed events. The ideas in that thread were created before mods were a viable option for servers - I'm sure mods could do a lot to improve the experience for both players as well as admins.

In any scenario, physical utilities structures could be a neat addition - though certainly in the context of single-player and NPCs, I agree it should be ridiculously difficult to restart disabled utilities, likely requiring an/multiple engineers as well as a non-trivial amount of time.

Only reason I'd assume they'd try and sabotage the plant is because the area is in quarantine and if survivors are constantly turning the power/water back on the government would get annoyed and just bomb the place or something, makes as much sense as the government just quarantining the state with everyone in it :P

But yeah, high skills so it's VERY hard to do, and I always found it strange that there wasn't any utility stations in the entire game world... Especially considering I could walk around my town and see 2 power substations...

Maybe the utility turn off happens when the apocalypse has gone too far out of hand and they figure it's a lost cause? I dunno

Only reason I'd assume they'd try and sabotage the plant is because the area is in quarantine and if survivors are constantly turning the power/water back on the government would get annoyed and just bomb the place or something, makes as much sense as the government just quarantining the state with everyone in it :P

But yeah, high skills so it's VERY hard to do, and I always found it strange that there wasn't any utility stations in the entire game world... Especially considering I could walk around my town and see 2 power substations...

Maybe the utility turn off happens when the apocalypse has gone too far out of hand and they figure it's a lost cause? I dunno

The government wont give a fuck after the next week when the outbreak gets out of control and shit hits the fan.

Also like the other guy said, keeping a power plant is not just flipping a button and BOOM we have electricity yay for us, shit is hard yo.

I think that when NPC's are added it'd be nice if this place was defended then abandoned, one person can't supply all the labor needed to keep both of these locations running, but it would be interested to loot.

IMO players should only be able to provide local utility support like a hand made piping system for a single building attached to lots of water tanks.

Or generators with lots of Gas.