Hordes Destroy Fences

Lightning Flash

Been a while since I posted here, so I decided to share an interesting idea.

As you've probably seen in Fear The Walking Dead's season finale, a massive horde of Walkers was able to knock down a portion of a fence and overrun the medical center.

In The Walking Dead's season 2 finale, the strength of the Walkers was enough to break a portion of the fence for all of them to pour in.

It would be cool for something like that to happen and occur in Project Zomboid, making massive hordes an even bigger threat, regardless of how protected you are behind walls.

For example, if you climb a tall wooden fence (one that you couldn't see zombies behind) and a horde is behind it, they have the potential to destroy a portion of it without having to go around.

Another example: If you have a safe zone full of NPCs and players, guarded by a metal fence, a horde of over a hundred or hundreds of zombies will be able to knock down a few portions and take out the area.

Certain fences, metal or wood, require a certain amount of zombies before they could be potentially destroyed by zombies. The more zombies that are present at the fence, the quicker it is for the fences to collapse.

I believe that adding this feature to the game would really add on to the factor that you are never really safe in the apocalypse. It would also even add on to the stealth factor even more.

+1

funny I just made a thread similar to this like 10 minutes ago. Its like 3 down from here.

Player made fences can already be destroyed by zombies, For other fences/walls it shouldn't be about the number of zombies, but simply add some HP that gets lower as zombies attack.

Persistence would win out eventually.

Killed 3K zombies because fences let you melee out of them, just stay outta zed reach and you'll be fine, or just shoot at the zeds.

I think the main reason why zeds don't hit non player buildings is so that the world isn't turned into swiss cheese by zombies, though I'd imagine that it ought to be since I doubt one person killing 1000 zombies a day is supposed to be a normal feature for fences.

Generally speaking its rare for zombies to breach walls, unless you have a generator running, and don't check walls its doubtful the zombies would even be an issue. If zombies could destroy walls more often with current zombie spawns it would be rather extreme. Since they do migrate, and quickly respawn. My world map should actually be devoid of zombies at this point since I've killed over the population of the town.

Though with the existence of sheet rope, you could simply just only make use of a second story. Structures don't degrade or have a chance of failing, so you could just keep making wooden floors floating on top of the world with sheet ropes going down. Any walls could simply be made out of wooden log walls. to conserve nails for windows and floors. Such a base would be invulnerable to the zombies, especially since its doubtful zombies would destroy all the supporting walls.

Collapsing buildings should be a thing IMO. but that's way down the line.

From a technical stand point I can't see it being too hard to implement. If a certain amount of zombies are on the border of a chain-link fence, lower HP of fence. Of course, it should have quite a lot of HP since they aren't easy to just tear out of the ground. Keep in mind I'm not programmer. :)

It'd also be really cool to see the fence become gradually less stable, perhaps even having it physically shake back and forth. Could be done pretty easily in 3D without the use of too many polygons, provided it fits in with the other fences that aren't 3D graphically. Here's a quick mock-up because I have Maya open for some reason.

HiImhF.gif

It's only 150 triangles for a single fence, which is low considering the current shotgun model in-game is around 500~. It could be made much lower poly as well without much of a visual difference.

(+1, sorry  :P )

+1 but only for high fences like the guy above me suggested.

Iirc zombies can already break the lower part of high metal fences so that crawlers can move in

i would be interesting in seeing things like this occur making bases a not so safe safehouse. Crawles could possibly get under. other hordes can break through fences, or possibly someone may use a blot cutter and let some in if they don't like you.